Pocket knives for cub scouts

A pocket knife is an invaluable tool, not only for Scouts, but for anyone. Everyone I work with knows I carry one, even in a suit. This being said, we start teaching knife safety and proper knife usage, first with popsicle sticks, then with plastic knives (all with soap), with our Tigers (we actually have the Boy Scouts teach this during our Cub Day Camps).

Starting with the Tigers teaches habits and by the time they are Bears, most of the Whittlin' Chip is "old hat" and they can easily recite (and teach the new Cub Scouts) the rules of using this tool. However, our Scouts don't usually their own pocket knives until 1/2 way through their Bear year (parents will usually "present" the pocket knife as a Christmas gift to their Bear Scouts).

The Wolf elective requirement of assembling an outdoor kit introduces the Scouts to proper camping skills. Yes, you want them to learn what they really need, especially when taking care of themselves while camping. This is not to give them while camping, but to start teaching them and introducing them to the "tools of the trade." If the Scout is taught properly, he should ask Mom or Dad before the campout ... "Do you have the ....??" By the time he becomes a Webelos, he will be checking himself for the proper outdoor kits.

Now, as for the proper type knife one should use, BSA does not "allow" lock-blade knives (funny, though, they sell lock-blade knives at scoutstuff.org). I do not like for my sons to carry a lock-blade knife until Boy Scouts ... they are usually too difficult to close for the younger Scouts. Start with something simple (I really like the Cub Scout knife at scoutstuff.org, or the whittling knife). If you get one with too many "toys" (like a multi-tool or a larger Swiss Army), the knives become too large for the Cub Scouts to really learn how to use the tool.

The point of the Whittlin' Chip, and the knife skills taught in Cub Scouts is to teach whittling ... for this, you only need a single, small blade. Let the Scouts learn more uses for the tools as Boy Scouts (however, it is quite entertaining, for a while, to watch a Cub Scout try to open a can with a can-opener from a pocket knife).

Teach knife safety early, and thoroughly and appropriately, and you shouldn't have to worry about the "dangers" of "arming" ... (as already said, stress the tool aspect of the knife and correct whenever a Scout refers to it as a weapon, or anything other than a tool) Cub Scouts with small, personal pocket knives for whittling ... at least until they start hanging out with those older, non-Scout boys, referenced in an earlier post. Good Luck!!!

What is your reference for BSA not allowing lock back knives? The GTSS has no such stipulation. In my opinion the lock back knives are the only safe knife for a cub to use. Otherwise it will likely close on their finger at some point. Sheath knives are not banned by National, but many councils ban them at camps.
  • 2 weeks later...
A pocket knife is an invaluable tool, not only for Scouts, but for anyone. Everyone I work with knows I carry one, even in a suit. This being said, we start teaching knife safety and proper knife usage, first with popsicle sticks, then with plastic knives (all with soap), with our Tigers (we actually have the Boy Scouts teach this during our Cub Day Camps).

Starting with the Tigers teaches habits and by the time they are Bears, most of the Whittlin' Chip is "old hat" and they can easily recite (and teach the new Cub Scouts) the rules of using this tool. However, our Scouts don't usually their own pocket knives until 1/2 way through their Bear year (parents will usually "present" the pocket knife as a Christmas gift to their Bear Scouts).

The Wolf elective requirement of assembling an outdoor kit introduces the Scouts to proper camping skills. Yes, you want them to learn what they really need, especially when taking care of themselves while camping. This is not to give them while camping, but to start teaching them and introducing them to the "tools of the trade." If the Scout is taught properly, he should ask Mom or Dad before the campout ... "Do you have the ....??" By the time he becomes a Webelos, he will be checking himself for the proper outdoor kits.

Now, as for the proper type knife one should use, BSA does not "allow" lock-blade knives (funny, though, they sell lock-blade knives at scoutstuff.org). I do not like for my sons to carry a lock-blade knife until Boy Scouts ... they are usually too difficult to close for the younger Scouts. Start with something simple (I really like the Cub Scout knife at scoutstuff.org, or the whittling knife). If you get one with too many "toys" (like a multi-tool or a larger Swiss Army), the knives become too large for the Cub Scouts to really learn how to use the tool.

The point of the Whittlin' Chip, and the knife skills taught in Cub Scouts is to teach whittling ... for this, you only need a single, small blade. Let the Scouts learn more uses for the tools as Boy Scouts (however, it is quite entertaining, for a while, to watch a Cub Scout try to open a can with a can-opener from a pocket knife).

Teach knife safety early, and thoroughly and appropriately, and you shouldn't have to worry about the "dangers" of "arming" ... (as already said, stress the tool aspect of the knife and correct whenever a Scout refers to it as a weapon, or anything other than a tool) Cub Scouts with small, personal pocket knives for whittling ... at least until they start hanging out with those older, non-Scout boys, referenced in an earlier post. Good Luck!!!

lock backed knives are allowed.

Really OP Armed with a cub scout knife? are T-ball players armed with clubs? If you dont think its ok for you son to have a knife dont let him. it's really that simple. My son was allowed to have a knife on the belt while in class A or while camping. Other then that it was put away.

Agree with checking local laws.

What I bought was the following:

http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Opinel-knives-No-7-carbon-steel-folding-knife

I like carbon steel since it holds an edge much, much longer, and a sharp knife IS a safe knife. I also like the easy locking mechanism: pull out the blade and twist the top lock and it's done. untwist, fold blade, and twist to secure. Much easier than the button on official CS knives.

But any knife will do. And yes Wolves and older can earn Whittling chip.

I like those knives. Anyone know of a made in USA equivalent?

Without the full metal frame, are they strong enough to last?

Looks like they are nice enough, but still affordable for the cubbies. I like the look of their "my first knife" with a rounded tip, but they are SS not CS.

Our Bear year is coming up, so I might consider giving one of these to each boy..... maybe engrave their names.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Opinel-knives-No-7-carbon-steel-folding-knife

I like carbon steel since it holds an edge much, much longer, and a sharp knife IS a safe knife. I also like the easy locking mechanism: pull out the blade and twist the top lock and it's done. untwist, fold blade, and twist to secure. Much easier than the button on official CS knives.

Looks like they are nice enough, but still affordable for the cubbies. I like the look of their "my first knife" with a rounded tip, but they are SS not CS.

Our Bear year is coming up, so I might consider giving one of these to each boy..... maybe engrave their names.

Wow what a great knife for cubs. I will get one of the my first Opinels for my bear and recommend it to the parents. I wish I had known about these a couple of years ago. The round handle should make for a good grip for small hands.

Even if they move on to a more traditional knife Ina year or two it is still a lot less than a trip to urgent care for stitches.

I emailed Opinel yesterday. They replied in about 90 seconds! Says to me that they likely have good customer service.

Anyway, the round tipped "My First Opinel" is only available in SS. I voiced disappointment, that I though CS would be better especially to teach the boys sharpening..... Maybe some day they will hear that enough to make a carbon steel line.....

Regardless, I think I'm going to order one to have a look at it.

I just ordered a round tipped knife for my son. I wanted to have a look at it as I consider if I want to suggest that we buy one for our Bear's this year.

Ordered this morning approx. 11:30AM with laser engraved handle with my son's name

Just before 4PM I received an email with my tracking number. It shipped already!

Wow, I'm shocked at the fast response!

I'll let you know when I've had a look at it.....

Interesting note on the guide. They have vertical wall or tower climbing as Webelos or above but, our council day camp has that for all ranks. Interesting how the District Exec doesn't follow the guideline. IMHO, these are safe for the younger ranks if operated properly with the correct equipment.

My son has the cub scout branded swiss army knife and it works well for him so far. It is basic and doesn't have many tools. It did take him a while to be able to open and close it but he finally got the hang of it. Gave me more grey hair teaching him though.

We have a climbing tower at our scout camp and when we are there for cub scout camp its webelos and above only. I would wonder why your district allows younger than webelos on that verticle tower. Younger cubs can go climbing in an inside commercial facility though.
I just ordered a round tipped knife for my son. I wanted to have a look at it as I consider if I want to suggest that we buy one for our Bear's this year.

Ordered this morning approx. 11:30AM with laser engraved handle with my son's name

Just before 4PM I received an email with my tracking number. It shipped already!

Wow, I'm shocked at the fast response!

I'll let you know when I've had a look at it.....

I ordered two of the #7 carbon steel ones last Friday afternoon, one for my boy(9) and one for me, we got them yesterday. Have to say I like them a lot for boys, the ring lock allows him to have some safety without me worrying about him cutting his finger messing with the lock to close the knife.

I received the knife in the mail Friday.

I'm very pleased with it.

The knife fits my son's hands perfectly. I think the rounded tip will be good for a first knife.

Quality is better than I would expect for $13 for sure.

The locking mechanism seems secure in both the opened and closed positions.

Only drawback is the blade is very tight and my son can't open and close it. Since it's not a metal frame and the blade hinge point is in the wood, I'm fairly certain it will loosen with use.

My only concern is for the possibility that it might loosen too much to the point of being dangerous...... and if it loosens too much, will the locking mechanism also loosen. I guess time will tell.

I had his name engraved in the handle. It's very nicely done.

Anyway, for now, I recommend it.

I think I'll order the larger carbon steel version for me.

Thanks Eagle92!

I asked my sister-in-law before hand.... got our nephew his first pocket knife and sharpening stone for christmas. I sat down with him after all the presents were opened and worked with him on his whittling chip. only cut himself once and it was a tiny cut but considering how many times he cut and practices sharpening and opening and closing he did a very good job. And yep I became his favorite Aunt LOL although I might have been that already since every holiday he has some scout relate project he is struggling with and wants me to help him with. Thanksgiving it was survival bracelets, the Easter before that it was square knots. And right now I think he can't wait for my son to get going on his eagle project so he can come and help with it and maybe even get a role in the ceremony.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. I had forgotten all about Opinel Knives. I really like the idea of an inexpensive, safe, yet well made pocket knife for my Bear cub when he earns his whittlin' chip this fall - like the opinel #7. My biggest concern is him loosing it, and at around $10 from amazon it's not too painful. I will get him something nicer like victorinox or Buck knife when he demonstrates safe use & and the ability not to loose it. I would say my only "minor" quibble with the knife is lack of a lanyard hole - but we'll probably make a leather sheath anyways.

I like my Opinel better than my Gerber Gator.

My link is to the carbon steel. Thy these for the stainless ones with lanyard

http://www.opinel-usa.com/products.a...TREKKING+KNVES

This one looks "wicked awesome" as my Webelos said. While I have not used the knife, nor heard of "12C27 sandvik stainless Steel" before, doing a quick search, it comes recommended.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/proddetail...el-No8-outdoor

EDITED: Apparently Opinel uses 12c27 sandvik steel for all their stainless knives.

Edit 2: should read "...quick search a quick search on 12c27 sandvik stainless steel, 12C27 Sandvik, comes recommended.

Also my Gator stays in the car, the Opinel is used, ALOT.