Summertime Pack Award - four pins

As I understand it, there are four different National Summertime Awards for Cub Scouts. They are metal pins with different colored borders. I read that "... the summertime award scouts receive should match their current rank rather than the rank they are working on (ie, boys who have attained the rank of Tiger will receive the Tiger pin even though they are in a wolf den and working towards the wolf rank)."

* the summer after 1st grade, boys work on the tiger pin.

* the summer after 2nd grade, boys work on the wolf pin.

* the summer after 3rd grade, boys work on the bear pin.

* the summer after 4th grade, boys work on the Webelos pin.

* the summer after 5th grade, boys are already in their boy scout troop.

But I have just signed up five new tigers during our spring recruitment drive. They only just graduated from kindergarden. Can they earn a pin? Can I give them the tiger pin? Will they have the opportunity to earn the tiger pin twice? I think I would rather give out the Webelos pin twice.

I would think that ; If you were able to sign them up...meaning they were indeed eligible to be signed up as Tiger Cubs, then they would be Tigers - although not officially earning the Tiger patch yet.

So, if they participate in all 3 summer activities, they should get the tiger pin.

By the time it comes to the second Webelos pin..hopefully, they will have crossd over already and earning the pin would be a moot point.

Even if they do not cross early due to earning Arroe of Light, they will be eligible to be boy scouts by having completed 5th grade.

At that point, they can join a troop and will no longer be able to ( or care for that matter) earn the pins.

Yes, I was able to sign them up. The council made a big deal about spring recruitment this year. Everyone that was able to sign up six new tigers or six new wolves by June 10 won an ice cream party for the pack. We didn't get six and we didn't get them by June 10, but we found several people very eager to sign their boys up as soon as possible. Kindergartners are eligible to sign up on June 1, just as they are graduating from kindergarten.

The more I think about it, the less likely I believe I am going to award the pins as described above, not only because it sort of leaves out my new tigers, but all the scouts got their new neckerchiefs last month, and I just don't imagine the the new wolves will want tiger pins or that the new bears will want wolf pins. I thin k they will want the pin that matches their new rank. If they already had pins, then I would feel more compelled to follow the pattern already established but I haven't seen anyone wearing one of these, so I think we will award them in September like this:

* the summer after kindergarten grade, boys receive the tiger pin.

* the summer after 1st grade, boys receive the wolf pin.

* the summer after 2nd grade, boys receive the bear pin.

* the summer after 3rd grade, boys receive the Webelos pin.

* the summer after 4th grade, boys receive another Webelos pin.

* the summer after 5th grade, boys are already in their boy scout troop.

I read "the summertime award scouts receive should match their current rank rather than the rank they are working on" at merit badge.org. I's a wiki, so I understand its not an official source, so that's why I decided to ask here. I often get really good advice here ~ lots of experience to draw on. I'm sure the confusion is all the result of the fact that most packs recruit in the fall rather than the spring, so few packs have any tigers in the summer, but I'm glad we had a recruitment drive this spring. I think it was very successful. Last year even our fall recruitment went badly, and we didn't get started properly until winter. :(

With all due respect to the volunteers at meritbadge.org, but they are incorrect. This has come up in the past and I provided links to show that, YES, Tigers joining in June can earn the Summertime Pack Award pin. They get the orange border one. Once they become Wolves on June 1 the following year, they can get the red bordered one. etc etc.

Also remember the REQUIRED requirements for the CS Outdoor Activity Award for is that Tigers attend a Cub Scout Day Camp, since they cannot attend Resident camp per national standards. I know a lot of packs use day camp as one of their 3 summertime activities. Also one of the three optional requirements for Ti8gers to earn the CS Outdoor Activity Award is earn the Sumemrtime Pack award. And since most of those are in the summer, they have to be active during the summer BEFORE they get their Tiger badge.

Hope it helps.

yes, definitely the pins go with the rank they are working on.

it would make no sense for a new wolf who joins June 1st, who is working on his wolf badge now to go to summertime activities and earn the tiger pin, since he was never a tiger.

so june 1 everyone goes up to the next rank and are considered that level and work on the requirements in that level book, which includes the summertime pack award at that rank level.

so new tigers joining after june 1, go to the 3 pack activities and earn the tiger summertime pin.

boys who become wolves after june 1, get the wolf pin

boys who became bears after june 1 get the bear pin

boys who became webelos after june 1 get the webelos pin.

that leaves you a conundrum for what to do with webelos 2s who participate in the summertime activities what do you do.

give them the webelos pin again. or I have some old plain gold pins that we had bought before they came out with the colored borders and we've given those to the few web 2's who earn the summertime pack award. at that point they are so full of pins it's not so big a deal if they've done it every year since tigers.

Cub Scouts are never "working on" being a rank. They are whatever rank they are, whether they've earned the rank patch or not. A boy who just finished first grade IS a Wolf, not a Tiger "working on" being a Wolf. So a Wolf scout should be earning Wolf awards, etc.

> They are whatever rank they are, whether they've

> earned the rank patch or not.

A boy in the 2nd grade is a member of a wolf den and is considered a wolf level cub scout.

He is working on his wolf cub scout rank.

The rank is the little diamond patch that he earns.