Summertime Pack Award - Overlapping Months

We have guys who will be attending Webelos Camp. They check in Thursday and leave Sunday. Sunday is in July and so approximately 80% of the activity will be in June.

Would you count it as a June or July activity.

They have multiple opportunities each month to attend a Pack activity, at least 2-3 a month.

Thanks for the advice.

The summertime pack award is about the pack offering at least 3 activities - one each month - during June, July, and August.

It' s more abvout the pack planning and doing something and not a scout camp that would be a council/district run event.

Doesn't have to be a flawless camping adventure, just something that is done for the whole pack.

Could be a fishing trip, go play baseball as a pack.....go see a baseball game as a pack. Go on a pic nic. Camp out at a park, the CO, or if somebody has a big field/farm, use that.

Go swimming, go to the movie theatre. Just do something on the pack level.

Just do it as a pack.

And doing it as a pack doesn't mean the entire pack has to show up. It's summer, if you get at least 1/4th attendance.....that's impressive! :)

Just plan a pack activity and not a den activity or rank activity.

It doesn't matter, does it? Count it whatever way you feel is appropriate to achieve the pack's objectives of providing fun scouting activities for the boys. The Pack Summertime Award exists to encourage you to hold fun activities during the Summer instead of throwing your hands up and saying, "Scouts is over till September!" That's all it's for. Use it for that. If you are holding pack activities during the Summer (pack activity being any activity that is for the whole pack), and you have three of them, then WAY TO GO!

BTW, I suggest you have the boys who attended three events during the summer put the streamer your unit receives on the flag themselves. Have some of them hold the flag and one of them tie in on. Then give the their pins.

You'll get a bunch of different answers on this topic as all scouting is local.

Some packs will allow district and council activities, some wont. Don't know about the purpose of res camp, didn't got o NCS for it, but day camp's (CSDC) purpose is to support

I have no problem with a pack using a district camp as a summer activity for the award. It may be a district camp but, at least in our district, you have to sign up and go as a unit. Regardless, the pack promotes it, collects money for it, organizes transportation for it, and does some activities and programming while there. It is still a pack activity.

It's all about getting the unit together and doing stuff over the summer and it's not a rank/advancement award. Just use your judgment.

For the Pack qualifying for the Summertime Pack Award, I would count it for whichever month needs an event.

As for the boys qualifying for the National Summertime Pack Award Pin We ask that boys attend 3 Summer Events period, whether they be in June, July and August, any 3.

I'm with wahooker.

Any event a pack helps promote and makes part of it's program would count for me.

And count it for whatever month seems reasonable and appropriate.

Personally I'd count it as a June activity.

>

The problem I have with multiple outings/month is that a lot of people tend to choose the one or two activities they like the most, so you cannibalize your own program and your dens or patrols have few people attending any particular activity.

You wind up weakening your dens or patrols.

But perhaps that's not a problem for you. Can you describe how that works?(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

To answer "But perhaps that's not a problem for you. Can you describe how that works?"

It is actually something that we began doing last year as a suggestion that I found on this forum. We do our main activity which is held on the same night as our regular Pack meeting. This might be a bike ride, bowling party, swim party, etc. We then do a Cubmaster Hike (another idea from this forum) to provide an extra opportunity for those Scouts who will not be present for the Monday event. We want Scouts to have extra opportunities to earn the award if they can not be there for the main event.

This June we held a Car Wash so Scouts could earn money for camp. Since it was a Pack activity, if they showed up we count it for them. During July and August we will only have two events not counting the Webelos Camp in June and Day Camp in July, which we count under the auspices that we as a Pack promote, write a single check out of Scout accounts, try to provide volunteers, etc.

>

Interesting idea, which I missed seeing here.

I'm hearing you say that you offer a second activity as an alternative, something that's probably a lot easier to organize.

And I'm guessing that the primary activity probably tends to be more attractive, so you avoid cannibalizing your program by dividing it.

Can you give me an example of how many will show up for a main activity and how many for the supplemental hike? Does the Cubmaster typically do that supplemental activity or does that tend to get delegated?

May I ask about how many Scouts you have in your pack?

Thanks for any additional detail!

Why would you count Summer Camp? That is a Den based activity. The Summertime PACK Activity is generally a one day based event. Water bottle rockets, bike ride, hike, Disc Golf....etc

The Scouts should go to Camp and have it count for that. It cover the Cubscout Outdoor Activity Award, which you can include the Summertime Pack Events. Which, if you did it the way you are wanting to count is kind of double-dipping.

If you have 2-3 events a month, don't count camp.

Why is Cub Summer Camp a "den only" activity?

Resident Summer Camp is promoted by the Pack, to the entire Pack. We pick one specific date for any/all of the Pack families to sign up for. They register individually, but put on the registration that they want to be with others from Pack 1234. Folks that can't make the "official" Pack camp date are free to sign up for any date they like. Sometimes they will get a few of their friends from the Pack to join them, sometimes they will camp on their own in a mixed Pack group.

Any way is fine with us, as long as it gets the Scout and his family out doing a fun Scouting activity.

Cub Scout Day Camp is even more Pack centered as we have to register as a Pack, make sure we have the proper number of volunteers, and make sure everyone gets to, and from, Day Camp.

So, with council/district resident/day camps being such a big part of our Pack's Summer program, why would we NOT count it as part of our Summertime Award activities?

>>"The problem I have with multiple outings/month is that a lot of people tend to choose the one or two activities they like the most, so you cannibalize your own program and your dens or patrols have few people attending any particular activity. You wind up weakening your dens or patrols."

I would absolutely count district and council events as counting toward the total, if the pack is promoting them. If your pack is participating as a group in local activities, like 4th of July Parade, count those too.

Just because it's a Pack Event, doesn't mean you have to be running the whole thing from the ground up.

The main goal of this summertime activity award is to keep the boys active in scouting during the summer. Most sources suggest doing a pack-wide event, that people can show up or not, with little planning and no need to RSVP. There shouldn't be any need for Den Leaders to have any special preparation for most summer events.

Utilize events in your community. Some of the stuff we are doing:

District Day Camp

Council Resident Camp

"Sneak In Weekend" - Also a Council Event

Trip to an Aviation Museum

Trip to a Monster Truck Rumble

Trip to a community "Movies in the Park"

Being in the 4th of July Parade.

With the exception of the last one, none of them require any in depth planning. And even the last one, was a matter of collaborating with several local packs, and finding someone who could supply a Semi + flatbed trailer.

Our pack did a pack overnight camp June 2-3, will be hiking in a 4th of July parade and participating in the July Cub Scout Day Camp.

In August we are planning a bicycle outing. Very likely this will be on a bicycle trail and dens will decide how far they will go before turning back for a hot dog roast.

The Webelos den will probably make it to a light house that offers tours.