Adult Leader Uniforming

Tampa Turtle says:

>

Heh, heh!

I just found an adult uniform blouse at a thrift shop for $4. I'd like to give it as a gift to a likely den leader, or perhaps give it out as a loaner as long as they are den leader.

I have a pack in a low income area. It's been tough to get adults uniformed, although I've been having some success.

While I'm always in a full uniform, that has only been a partial answer to the issue. Uniforms cost money, and money can be an issue and barrier.

Any suggestions on dealing with that, especially for new leaders?

I got the Pack "Uniform Box", and it was a mess. First off, it had 6 tan shirts, three of which were unwearable: seams splitting, holes tearing where the patches were sewn on to the shirt, etc. Threw out the junk. Also threw out the faded hats, camp t-shirts from camps past, and worn-out uniform socks. Then I went through and "sized" the shirts, so I knew which were mediums, and which were larges, since the tags were faded, and re-tagged. After that, I took my seam ripper and "de-patched" them of all the old patches. Some of these guys were wearing "Quality Unit" awards as a train down their arm, a decade long. I admit feeling bad slicing up a few Eagle Knots and Silver Beavers, but it had to be done. Finally, everything in the laundry, and into a clean storage box (not the grocery bags I was given). Now, I feel like when I ask someone to be a leader, I can proudly offer them a uniform out of the box, rather then having to "scrounge" one from it.

It is easy. A Scouter (and Scout) should strive to be properly uniformed. To do that, they should understand what constitutes proper uniforming.

Also, uniforms are not a barrier to joining the BSA - they are not mandatory (please don't bring up Jambo). There are many folks more than willing to help out with proper uniforming. However, when a family can provide their son with Air Jordans, an iPod and a smart phone complains to me about uniform prices I generally roll my eyes.

If money's tight. Make sure the pack committee has nailed down priorities. A free official PWD kit for every boy may be more important than a uniform for every DL or fancy placemats at the B&G.

Then make sure fundraising gets spent on priority stuff first.

If fundraising goals are exceeded, then maybe the Pack can buy a few shirts for their uniform library. Or maybe they would rather stock up on B&G centerpieces!

The pack needs someone committed to browsing those thrift stores and keeping a neat closet.

If you need uniforms always ask around. I live in a pretty affluent area; parents seem reluctant to re-use an experienced uniform. So at the Pack and Troop level we always had a surplus.

Eventually we found a "brother" unit not as well off and they have been the beneficiary of excess uniforms, stoves, etc.

If a guy is not sure we always say start with the shirt.

That would be ME! You'll note I found an adult uniform at a thrift shop. But that's a rare find in my experience.

I like the idea of checking with wealthier units. We have some of those in our district, and they might help us out.

I'd like to find someone to clean and sew uniforms so that they are a nice, complete thing to present as described in Fehler's post. Wouldn't that be a nice gift to a new Tiger Cub Den Leader?

My neighborhood has a mix of low and middle income families. Uniforming is enough of an issue for some families it will be the "deal breaker" of whether or not they will join our Pack. We are a uniformed Pack and expect it to be worn to most events. If a family or a new leader cannot truly afford one, our Pack will help them get one. The start up costs for a new scout can be expensive if we all remember and look back to those times.

Peoples pride sometimes gets in the way when we try to help and we never see the family again. There is this assumption, in my community at least, that Cub Scouting is a "free program" and we will give away stuff. I'm not sure how that assumption started, but it's out there.

acco40 states: "However, when a family can provide their son with Air Jordans, an iPod and a smart phone complains to me about uniform prices I generally roll my eyes."

Yea, I see this even among the so-called low income families and it comes down to priorities. Our Pack does not view these family situations as a "true need" and we will not provide a free uniform - not even one from our closet. A new blue uniform shirt only cost $24 and that will last up to 3 years in the program ($8/year). Most families folks can afford the uniform even those in the low income category.

I had two sons and when we started I was unemployed so the cost was an issue. What if they didn't like it. So I did "incremental uniforming"--T-shirt, then Blue shirt, Belt, Socks, Hat, Pants in that order. Took a few months, was an incentive for the boys, and was more affordable for me.

As for the "football" argument--during that period I deliberately kept them out of some other activities (like Baseball or Football camp)because of the high cost of outfitting them.

Growing up, thrift store are where I got my uniforms, and also got uniforms to sell within my troop, minus the patches of course ;) But locally, every single thrift store was contacted by our SCOUTREACH guy, and whenever they get uniforms, he gets them. If a uniform is in, it is by accident.

Last year we used Scout Accounts with the popcorn sale, and more or less gave families 25% of what they sold.

We charge $60/year for pack dues, and families can choose whether to pay cash or use Scout account credits to pay for uniforming, dues, den books or whatever.

So families that want to buy adult uniforms with Scout Account money are welcome to do so. But none have --- not yet anyway.

The free uniform box never worked out for our troop. No one remembered to donate and the folks who needed them the most refused to take them. Another SM gave me the solution at work one day. Buy and sell them. $5 per shirt in or out. Now scouts are sure to bring in their out grown shirts and folks aren't embarrassed by taking one since they are paying for it.

• 3 years later...

I'm going to try to reactivate this thread about uniforms and what to do with them.

First question. Do female den leaders still wear the yellow blouse?  I am not connected with a unit and don't know any well enough to hand over things. I have both female and male uniforms of various types and sizes. 

So I need your suggestions in what to do with them,

Thanks