Raingutter regatta boats - build and race on same day?

Yes. Need to do this outside. Be sure to paint the boats (or they will suck up water). Put the masts in and have the boys hold the masts while they spray paint them. Clip them to a line to dry while you go do another activity. Come back when they are dry and put the keel and rudder on. Use a hot glue gun to hold them in place.

I've heard of people using insulation sheeting (Owens Corning Foamular F-150 1 inch x 48 inch x 84 inch). One sheet should be plenty to cut into numerous boats. Get some dowels. Get some construction paper. Nice quick craft project.

Only concern I have is the mess from cutting the foam. I'm not sure how messy it is though. We were planning to try it.

I do a simplified Raingutter Regatta for a recruiting night event and I'll be doing it Saturday for our pack overnight camp.

I use pretty much any kind of .75" wood for stock, and you can use a circular saw to cut out rectangles and then a pointed nose for a boat. The boats I make are 3"x7.5."

I harvest an old roadside sign or two that use corrugated plastic on a wire frame. I cut the wire frame into pieces for masts, and use a grinder to point a point on one end. Cub Scouts then pound the mast into the boat with a hammer.

I paint the plastic sign white to cover up advertizing, and then cut the sign into pieces for sails. The mast is used to impale the sail.

When boys register for the race, I give them a "Boat Racing license" and a boat. The Scout and parent then work to decorate and assemble the boat. I spray paint boats in various colors so the paint will be dry, and boys use crayons, felt pens, Legos or whatever to decorate their boats.

Boys pick who they want to race against. The winner of each heat wins a sticker to apply to their boat racing license.

Small sails and short masts work best, minimizing the capsizing of boats and rubbing sales on raingutters. Often boys wind up adding multiple sails.

I have the Racing license as a file I can e-mail if desired. Around here I can print out 25 in color for free per week at community center computer centers and such.

I do pretty much the same thing for Pinewood Derby, with all Scouts and parents working together to first build and then race their cars.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

Other quick methods of making a boat - use a juice box or slim water bottle, add a skewer or straw for a mast and an index card for a sail. Or use an aluminum mini-loaf pan (available in the baking section of your supermarket). Squeeze one end into a bow, add modeling clay in the center to hold the mast.

We did this as a recruiting event, but we did a "Recycled Regatta," using plastic soda or water bottles, straws, plastic grocery bags, duct tape and other tape, foam egg cartons, and other assorted stuff. A little gravel or sand in the bottom side of the bottle keeps it from tipping. In a half hour or so the boys had boats made, and then they raced them at will. They'd challenge others in their den, others. They even enjoyed beating me, the Cubmaster, particularly when I'd start blowing on the back sides of their sails to slow them down, etc. It was fun. The new blow up tracks from the Scout shop are great - cheap and easy.

Nothing cheap, or simple, about buying all that wood, cutting, grinding, etc.

Much simpler to ask your local grocer to donate a package or two of foam meat trays. Purchase a large package of straws, a package of printer paper, and a roll of duct tape, from the $1 store.

A sheet of printer paper can be cut into 2-4 sails (depending on the size of the foam "boat". Boats, and sails, can be decorated with crayons. Straw "masts" are attached to the boats with duct tape. Sails are also attached to the masts with duct tape.

Minimal cost, minimal prep, and it can all be prepped, and assembled, right there on race day.

Lots of fun for everyone.