Can I Get A Mulligan

Does the pack have a policy on this?

When I was CM cubs graduated in August at the big Pack Campfire and started the next rank at the first pack meeting after school started in September. We didn't have meetings for the month in between but I guess if the cubs had done something for advancement it would have counted. I mostly left that up to the DLs.

As the DL I guess you can do whatever you want as long as the CM is OK with it.

Our pack graduates after the last day of school. This allows the current tigers to attend resident camp. In addition, new tigers that are current kindergarden kids and brought in during spring recuitment have a tiger camp to go to. So, they have something to do during the summer to keep them interested. The current books elude to them moving up after the school year is over and I verified graduation times with our DE. I like it this way since the kids have already been working on electives since February. Asking them to keep on electives all they way to August is a quick way for them to get bored imho. Our DE gave me a date of June 1st. But around here all of the schools are done for the summer by June 1st.

ScoutNet uses June 1st as the date to promote cubs to the next rank. I'd start your den on new rank requirements as of that date. Using a date that is independent of the school calendar seems to make particular sense for packs that draw from multiple schools. It works well in our pack.

Psssst, chris over here.....

In the grand scheme of things a couple of weeks at tiger or wolf won't matter a bit....

June 1st is the standard given.......

I would do what you want in the may thru july period......But what ever you decide to do you need to be consistent year to year unless you have a good easily justified reason for the exception.

Don't get caught up micro analyzing the rules for cub advancement.....Just have fun.

If it's a matter of 2 weeks, I think you can be flexible.

If Scout A is done with all his Wolf Cub stuff and wants to work on Bear Stuff immediately, go ahead and let him start on June 1st.

If Scout B wants to finish up the last thing for an extra arrow point, let him wait until June 14th.

But by the 14th, I'd say that's all folks.

However, they can't be both ranks at once, so no working ahead and finishing up at the same time.

If it was five months after moving to bear, and a boy up and said "You know, there was this thing in our Wolf book that we never did ..." Guess what my den would be doing the next week?

So if your boys are rarin' to get started on the Bear book tonight, move on!

If parents complain just tell them these guys on the internet gave you permission!

Actually if you tell everyone you'd like to start calling it the Bear den on June 1st, and listen in case there's a major issue, odds are everyone will fall in line with that.

We had Cub Scouts in different schools. We would have an end of year party on the first Saturday in June and we told everyone that was the last date to earn anything under the old rank. (We could always be flexible with individual cases.)

As long as you just pick a date and announce it, everyone will go along. I doubt anyone really cares too much - but it's nice to have a clear date for graduation.

When do you hold your last Pack meeting of the school year?

Our Pack does it's graduation ceremony, and moves the Scouts to their new levels, at the last "official" Pack meeting of the school year, at the end of May. School usually goes until the first week of June.

June, July, and August are summertime fun Pack activities only (picnics, hikes, camping, kites, rocket shoots, fishing, etc), with no "official" den or Pack meetings.

Tonight is our last den meeting of this scout year. Next week in the cub scout graduation.

No morre meetings except summer fun activities.

After next Monday - 5/21/12 - they will be considered the next rank by our pack. We give them the necker of the next rank as they graduate.

Whatever they earn as far as belt loops will be counted to their next rank as nobody will turn in anything during the summer. Too busy playing and stuff.

So, even though it is tecnically June 1st, nothing really gets reported until we start back duing the last week of August.

We did the Pack Picnic on May 10th, and crossed everyone up (and distributed books and neckers and slides). Did this a couple weeks earlier than last year because we are having our first Pack Camp this weekend, and I wanted to start on the new stuff rather then old. Multiple schools/calenders here, and heavy spring sports participation (from my Den Leaders).

Will someone please explain for me what a 'mulligan' is and what it has to do with Cub Scouting? I 'get' the original questions but I've been scratching my head over this subject title for quite a while now.