What summer activities do you have planned?

Just wondering what other packs are planning for summer activities? I am planning my 3rd summer fishing rodeo for my pack and a bike ride. I'm trying to think of something else. Last year we did a beach hike and looked for sharks teeth and fossils, the fishing rodeo and another day hike. Was also wondering what kind of attendance other packs get in the summmer. Our fishing rodeo is our biggest draw with about 50%. The other activities draw 30-40%.

Thanks

In June, we are going to a Basebal game . It's college players who form a summer league. Kinda AAA-AA or something like that.

:)

Scouts get in at half price, will lead the flag ceremony and will get to see fireworks after the game.

In July, we go to a soundside beach. Lots of water, lots of sand, but not the current , waves or undertow you have at the beach.

August is still between going bowling ( Air Conditioned) or going to the battleship USS North Carolina BB-55, or having a pool party and cookout.

We live on the coast. Most of our cubs are practically fish.

But they are not so much swimming as wading around. They can't be still long enough to swim. More like terrorize the unlucky minnows brave enough to get close.

We have a sandcastle building contest, trash collecting contest, fishing competition,etc.....

We have 7 trained in SSD and SA . We have 3 BSA trained certified leaders ( also leaders in our sister troop) and we have 2 certified diver/rescue swimmers.

And most of the boys rather wade through a knee deep tidal pool! :)

Pack camping weekend, bike rodeo, pizza and park day, climbing gym, and fishing. Also a service project at the local park. Plus resident camp and day camp with the council and district.

Attendance is usually the leaders and their scouts plus one or two other families. We are a small pack and that means about half the pack at any given activity.

June-

Day Camp

Webelos Resident Camp

One of the troops in the area is having a mobile rock climbing wall come in and has invited packs in the area to come and "Hang Out"

Minor League baseball game- Fireworks, Pack recognition on the big screen, AYCE hot dogs, hamburgers, and drinks

July-

Participating in the 4th of July parade

Going to rent out one of the ice skating rinks in the area and have the boys and families play "broomball" on the ice.

August-

Debating between bowling or driving an hour south of us and going to an actual drive in theater, with double feature and a mini golf course on the property.

Bike rodeo right before school starts. This will be one of our big recruiting efforts. One of the bike shops is going to come in and do safety inspections, adjustments, and might bring one of their show teams in for a demo.

So far we have

June

calendar planning, trying to find a place to do it so we can have a bbq or pot luck meal to get more parents to want to come.

day camp, all but 2 scouts in the pack are attending. wish those 2 would go as well!

a week after day camp we'll have water wars,

bring a 24 pack of bottled water, and your water guns, super soakers, and water balloons and have a water war.

then donate the bottled water to the homeless shelter.

July

more people seem to go on vacation

so far we only have planned

AZ science center group rate $6 for admission $2 for planetarium, regularly $14 for admission and $8 for planetarium

We usually have more people come to do this than almost anything else in the whole year. This lasts from 10-5 and we eat lunch together.

We may do a prep for the new school year leader meeting.

August we are back to school the 1st week of August,

so we'll have roundup

and an August pack meeting.

We have to decide between Polar Ice

or do something where we build and race something (some years it's raingutter regatta, train races, rubber band boats, we haven't done a space derby in a while).

Nothing, because the CM refuses to let anyone else do anything, and disregards the committee's decisions.

I have sent information on the scout campout at the baseball staduim (AAA team, sleep at the stadium after the game), the arena football team game in July (that is buy an adult ticket, get a kid ticket free), and in August, we do our welcome back dinner. These are the items we've agreed upon--as a committee--and the CM insists he will make all the arrangements.

We have one week before the baseball campout is to be registered for--and nothing has gone out to the pack. He hasn't even contacted the guy at with the baseball team to reserve a spot for us (I can't do it, because neither he nor the treasurer would meet with me at the bank, to put me on the account). He has to be involved in everything--can't let ayone run anything without his approval--and won't allow me to help him. (I'm a stay at home mom right now, and could be helping him with soo much, but no--he has to control every little freaking thing.)

Unfortunately, I can't get him to see the light through the trees, and so I've requested they find a new CC by the end of the month. I can't battle with him (or the treasurer, who visits the bank when she feels like it--one parent has outstanding checks from December--or his buddy den leader, who can say what he does and doesn't want to do, and the whole committee must follow his lead or be igored by the CM).

Maybe when DS transfers to a troop, I'll become involved again. Until then, I'll just be DH/DS's den mom, and that's it. I'll help DH have a great year with the boys, and I'm sorry that the dens won't, but I can't fix things--the DE and Charter are in the CMs back pocket, and won't listen to anyone but him.

(Sorry for hijacking. I'm a bit frustrated, can you tell?)

Sad to say that we have some ideas but no concrete plans right now. The ideas are for ice cream social, day at the local beach (sandcastle building, etc.), and something else TBD. I think that a pack meeting in August would be good. Half of our pack is in year round school and the other half is in a normal school so scheduling can be an issue.

June:

End of Year Pack Meeting

2 Weeks Day Camp

Webelos Resident Camp

July

Independence Day Parade (Multiple Packs all on one flatbed trailer)

Sneak In Weekend (1 Night at Boy Scout Camp for Parent+Son)

Summer Shootout Race at the Speedway

August

Trip to the Aviation Museum

Monster Truck Rally, and Campout in the Infield of the Speedway

Movies at the Park

The Pack Meeting and the trip to the Aviation Museum are the only ones our pack is doing solo. All the others are either council, district or community events we are attending.

-Memorial Day Service

-Boats, Burgers, and Bonfires (Raingutter Regatta & Cookout)

-Parade float

-Drive-in Movie

-Monthly opportunities for "drop in" service at the local food pantry.

-Also, summer district camps (cubs and Webelos) - about 75% attendance.