Yes - you can have a den flag! It can be used to mark where the den sits at pack meetings, as a second flag in a den flag ceremony (like the pack flag at a pack meeting), to mark your den's area at a pack campout or at a council camp, to lead the den while hiking.

At one time every den in our pack had a flag which was displayed at the pack meetings. We awarded trinkets and ribbons to display on the flag to recognize den achievements.

My pack makes new den flags at our June Campout for the new den year.

A parent has taken charge of this activity for several years. Swatches of cloth in the various den colors (Orange=Tiger Cubs, Yellow=Wolves) are available, along with Cub Scout Yardsigns, patches and other material that can be used by Cub Scouts to decorate their flag.

I cut limbs from trees for poles and crosspieces and the Cub Scouts use a staple gun to staple the flag to a crosspiece.

We have our Pack meeting and cross over to the new dens at the June Campout, so the boys join their new den with their new flag.

If den flags are used properly by den leaders, boys use them and take pride in them. At district Cub Scout events, our flags stand out and it makes it easy for boys to find their dens even in a crowd of Cub Scouts.

I do think it's a good idea to have a den number that follows boys through the program from year to year. The flags change but the number stays with the boys and the den. I neglected that, and it's a weakness.

My den uses the standard den flag available from national supply with the den numeral ironed on. I combined that with the idea of a den doodle, in that we have leather laces hanging off the flag that we put beads, plastic claws, and plastic arrowheads on to signify the accomplishments of the den. So as each boy gets a belt loop we add a bead of a certain color to the doodle. We tried to reflect as much history of the den as we could, but all of our tigers from last year (including the den leader) quit, so there wasn't much to add on that account. We add bear claws for day hikes and arrowheads for overnighters, with those being den accomplishments. It's pretty cool to look at it, since I can read the beads and tell the boys what they did this past year just by the beads.

They get beads for special awards, loops, pins, service projects, conservation projects, rank, etc.

Den flags are awesome!

We use them at pack meetings mostly, but the boys are starting to use them other places as well. Two dens took it upon themselves to take them to resident camp and parent/son weekemd.

Banners? Well.....that's a different story. Not saying you shouldn't use them - that's your choice and right - just saying there are not as many place they "seem" practical.

If your pack marches in a parade, I could see a color guard up front with the pack flag and American flag, then maybe the rest of the pack follws behind - each den carrying it's owm banner.

Maybe while pack camping or taking advantage of a district or council camp, each den could set up their tents like patrols and have a banner set up as a "sorta" gatesway to their section, and leave the den flag for other things.

Den flags are awesome. They buld up camradieri, and bring a sense of friendly den competition amnongst the pack.

Banners are great too, although I think their uses are more limited.

In Boy scouts, banners make more sense: Scout shows, camporee campsite inspections, parades, competitions , etc....

DLChris71,

That's a great idea! We have den flags and I always told them they could hang their den awrd ribbons from trhem if they won any - but more stuff gets done as a pack than individual dens when it comes to earning awards.

I like the idea of arrowheads and claws and beads. Never thought of that!

I think we are talking different kinds of banners.

A large, long, wide, narrow, banner, that hangs from a ceiling is rather impractical for a den.

However a banner that is the size of small-med flag (that hangs down instead of out like a regular flag) is very practical. It is also easier to see the entire thing when it hangs straight down, and since the boys are proud, they want their flag to be seen.

The pole at the top can be easily carried in a parade by one or two Cubs, even small ones.

A cord can be attached to the ends of the pole so the banner can be hung from another pole and stood upright on its own at meetings.

The flag/banners we have used are typically about 1.5-2 ft wide at the top, and 2-2.5 ft long to the flat, or pointed, bottom.

Felt works nicely, but can get iffy in the rain. A piece of an old sheet, or a cotton fabric remnant, also work well.