When do your Webelos cross over?

This is my second year as a CM and third in scouting. My pack traditionally crosses over the Webelos 2 in February at the end of our B&G celebration. However, I have heard from parents this year that their boys are struggling and one has already dropped out. The troop meets an hour later than the pack does and usually meets to 9pm. I don't know if crossing over 3 months later would be better, but at least the boys won't be in school anymore and they may have a better transition. So I'm thinking about having the boys cross over at the end of May next year. I haven't talked to the scout master yet and wanted to see what other packs do.

Thanks

February. More time to get prepared for summer camp. This way the Feb B&G can focus on the Webelos and the May "crossover" can focus on the boys moving to the new Cub rank.

Plus, 2 years in Webelos is about 1 year too many. Boys are ready to go.

Regarding the 9pm meeting closure, when do the little league teams run their games? In our neighborhood we have evening games that start as late as 8pm, and that's while school is still on. So perhaps complaints about the meeting time are just a cover for other issues.(This message has been edited by brewmeister)

For us it has varied depending on scout interest in their destination troop program, anywhere from Jan to Feb Blue & Gold. The Jan group were eager to prepare for a spring vacation troop trek.

If the troop program (spring and summer activities) is so uninteresting that scouts want to stay Webelos longer, then look at another troop.

My $0.02,

March, which in our district is late-many cross their W2 in Jan or Feb.

However, for the neighboring district this is early. Most of those packs cross in April or May.

My son was a little bored the last 6 months and could have crossed with AOL and 10 1/2 in Dec. But he wanted to stay with his friends in the den and complete the 1 or 2 badges he had left.

What would those scouts struggle with? Since badges are done with the den, they don't have to wait on mom and dad to make time to do achievements. AOL is only 7 pins and a few other requirements. I cannot fathom not being able to complete it in 20 months. (June 2009 - Feb 2011)

Maybe the issue is really that the scout or parents are losing interest, value other activities more, or don't see the point of finishing since they don't plan to cross to boy scouts.

I don't believe changing your crossing date will solve anything.

Years ago, when Webelos was a one year program, I was a Webelos Leader. I took a group of my Webelos to an Eagle Court of Honor in another town. (George Romney was the guest speaker). One of the Webelos with me, had not been doing much, as far as advancement goes. Well, he got all fire up about Boy Scouts and becoming an Eagle. He worked hard, finished up the requirements for Arrow of Light, and join our Boy Scout Troop as school finished up in June. His parents went out and bought him a new Boy Scout uniform.

This scout only got to go to one troop meeting or so, before he headed off to summer camp. He got homesick at camp and quit scouts!

Joining Boy Scouts in the Spring is a lot better. It gives the scout time to adjust to the troop, and go on a few campouts, before summer camp.

Cross them over when they are ready. If they are ready in February, cross them over then. If they aren't ready, wait until they are. There's nothing that says you have to crossover in February. It depends on the boys and what they want to do.

This years group crossed over in March.

Last years crossed over in early April.

We have had some cross over in May and some in February.

Although they usually cross over together - they were a den afterall....

Some times we have 2 or 3 cross over one month, and a month or two later, the rest cross over.

But as it is, we do not have a set "crossover by" date.

It happens when it happens which is when the boys actually earn their AoL.

The time might be problematic for younger Scouts, though they'll never admit it. If it ends at 9pm, then they're not getting home and to bed until 930 at the earliest, most likely. That can be late. I've never met a troop that gets out that late.

We do the formal crossing at Blue/Gold. However, most of the boys are typically attending Troop meetings in November or December (provided they've already earned AoL). Others of course have pushed right up until B/G to crossover. It really depends on the boy and what he wants to do. My oldest crossed over in November, because he wanted to start camping with the troop and didn't want to wait 4 months to be a part of troop activities.

Alot can depend on the Troop itself. My son had actually chosen one troop to join, but they wouldn't let the Webelos crossover until March. We instead went with the troop that opened their doors and welcomed them when they had their AoL completed.

Ours cross in March. Most of the packs/troops in the district do it in February. We've been thinking of moving it earlier, to do it in February like the rest. It's nice to have a chance to get the new Scouts integrated before summer arrives.

Thanks for all the great replies. Let me clarify one thing. When I said the scouts were struggling I meant the boys who had crossed over. They did not struggle as Webelos and had completed their AoL before February. They are strugging now with the troop. This is the troop with the same charter org as the pack. I think they and their parents are in a little shock. One boy has already dropped out and may join up again in the fall. I don't think the parents and maybe some of the boys, were ready for the faster paced schedule. They crossed over at the end of February and then had a merit badge fair in 2 weeks. They have more camp outs and other activties then the pack does. Plus, the later meeting time is a concern for some parents. Before I became involved the troop and pack used the same meeting space therefore they had to have a later meeting time for the troop. Now we have our own space. I will suggest to the scout master maybe adjusting their meeting times next year.

I now see that crossing over in Feb or thereabouts helps the boys transition into the troop before summer camp. That makes a lot of sense and I never thought of that. I guess I will talk to the scout master and come up with ideas to better help the scouts AND parents transition into the troop next year.

Thanks again for the input.

Well that is pretty stupid on the troops part.....

You need to evaluate your boys....Some guys will like to go to the merit badge deal others not so much......

For the record....I would have offered it if the troop was going but not push it....

The kid that dropped out will probably not be back.

I think you've zeroed in on the real issue (scouts and parents hadn't been prepared and known what to expect at the boy scout level).

Now you can work with the WDLs and the Scoutmaster to try to make sure families are better informed about the boy scout program to avoid culture shock. You have some good ideas on this. Might also want to plan several Web den-troop outings and give them a copy of the troop's calendar early in Web 2 year.