Improper use of food

I've done the teapot dance at a Pack meeting, because I forgot a tent pole. I've been told here that "singing" for your stuff is considered hazing. I have no problem with good natured fun, but I just don't see smushing cake in anybody's face to be fun. That said, I have no problem if you want to do it in your den or pack. My sons wouldn't participate in it, though, if it were their den or pack.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops. To answer da original question, before I got distracted, No. Of course there's no BSA rule or guideline about such things.

Know your kids, know your parent community, and have fun out there.

Beavah

It's in the CS Leader Book, actually:

Th are some of the things that can make activities inap- propriate and unacceptable:

Name-calling, put-downs, or hazing

References to undergarments, nudity, or bodily functions

Cross-gender impersonation that is in any way derogatory, rude, insulting, or lewd. (This is not to suggest that boys cannot dress for and play female roles when needed in a skit or play, as long as good taste prevails.)

Derogatory references to or stereotyping of ethnic or cul- tural backgrounds, economic situations, or disabilities

Sensitive social issues such as alcohol, drugs, gangs, guns, suicide, etc.

Wasteful, ill-mannered, or improper use of food or water

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/hispanic/english/33221_WEB.pdf

Shortridge:

So, the song God Bless My Underwear is out also, then?

Talking about alcohol and drugs? But one of the belt loops has that as a requirement.

Singing because you wore a hat into a meal, or because you forgot a tent pole? That can be considered hazing, right?

So the Cake toss thing can be considered wasting food. Ok.

But I think the heart of the problem is that Council (and therefor, Districts), in their ever constant changing PC-ness, keeps changing the rules and they come in conflict with the actions and other portions of BSA guidelines themselves.

The gun issue, for example, is one of those that makes me go "Hmmm?", because at the Cub day camps I've volunteered at, they allowed a water gun fight on the last day (a district run event).

So, what is one to do? I think make the best interpretation that one can, and deal with the consequences if any arise.

So, no references to "bodily functions"? Does that mean that the time-honored "important papers" skit is out? (If you don't know what it is, just Google important papers skit, and several variations of it are right there. I see that some people have made it more elaborate than it is usually done at campfires in our district. Usually it is just the adult who is MC'ing the campfire who is calling for the "important papers", and rather than a skit of its own, it is often done as a series of run-ons between other skits. But you could say the "punch line" does indirectly refer to a "bodily function", so I don't know.)

To say nothing of the "sap is still running" skit. Is that now banned as a "put down"? Even though it's a very mild put down, and in our district the "sap" is almost always an adult rather than a Scout or Cub Scout? (On Cub Scout camping trips, it was, again, often the commissioner-type who was running the campfire.)

Brings to mind Mencken, who may have been describing the folks in Irving. Paraphrasing, "BSA rule makers: persons who are haunted by the anxiety and fear that somewhere, sometime a boy scout may be about to have fun."

Well there goes my Idea for the next Pack meeting.....

I can't wear a cheerleader outfit or Ballerina costume (ALA Scoutfish), the boys can't hit me with a whipped cream pie for bringing somebody to the meeting. We can't do "Nuts the elephant" skit, and I certainly can't sing because I left something at home that I should have brought. Certainly wouldn't want a 9 yr old to come up with a funny song, since we all know what is funny in the mind of a boy. I guess we shouldn't have sang Happy Birthday to our CC last week, because it would have publicly humiliated or degraded her self esteem. Well at least we didn't mention her age. Imagine the backlash I would have gotten for that. (Backhand across my head at the least). Oh wait, that would have condoned physical violence. Shouldn't have done the "Miss America" skit with my DL's at our campout. Going to have to apologize to the boys for making them laugh at the expense of their DL's.

If you can't laugh at yourself, in this situation. You're in the wrong gig. Every thing I do is FOR THE BOYS. That's why I was asked to be the CM. The committee and the COR thought I could be the right person to represent our unit, and that the boys might actually enjoy the program I gave them. Even if it means getting a pie or cake in the face, or a water baloon soaking. My boys understand when I'm having fun, and when I'm serious with them. If they trust that they can have fun with me without fear of repercussion, Imagine what they would trust me with if they actually had a problem they didn't want to or were afraid to talk to their parents about. Trust and respect go both ways.

As far as the OP goes, if the DL in question doesn't want a cake on their head, Fine...They don't have to have it done. Would I offer the boys an alternative to destroying an entire cake? Absolutely. But If that's what they chose, I'm OK with that as well.

THIS POST HAS BEEN CLEARLY EDITED WITH TONGUE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK.

Lets see....

Pie in the face of CM (me) for reaching Popcorn goal? Check. (last 4 years)

Singing "God Bless my Underwear" at campout? Check. (every campout)

Water-gun fight at district ran day camp? Check. (not my doing, but it happens every year)

Liquid accelerant to magically start campfire? Check. (done by adult, not scout)

Branding of rank for each scout? Check. (Boys want it on their forehead, we just started with it on their hand...)

Council ran scout camp trading post has KYBO juice favored ICEE syrup. KYBO is their acronym for the pit toliets at camp. Check. (so much for body fluid jokes)

Result, 50+ boy pack, 8 years strong, growing faster than any other pack in our corner of the county and regular high $$ participation in FOS, camping, and scout fair booth? Check.

Guess I need to resign my post and be banned from leading the youth?...

Actually had parents at campouts do the following:

1) Youth hitting tree-trunk with 1/8 inch diameter stick... Adult, "Son, you need to stop that, you could damage the tree!" Me, "If he can cause permenant damage, I'll give the lad an award." Other adult claimed it was a LNT violation... Tree was 80+ ft tall oak, I doubt a 10 year old was going to fell it with a switch! At least he was hitting the tree and not a fellow scout! Now, if they're ripping the bark off, then put a stop to it, but come on!!!

2) Wrapper from pop-tart tossed into campfire by scout, shrivelled to nothing in 5 secs flat... Adult, "Now we can't use this fire to roast Smor's b/c its been contaminated with plastics!!!". I calmly walked over to the marshmallows and loaded up 4 on a skewer and started the roasting party. Told the boys, "The plastic residue might cause you're hair to fall out." (I'm bald).

Sheesh get real! Let boys be boys a little bit and they'll actually stay around. Don't be irresposnsible, but you have to let them explore and make mistakes. Its part of the ADVENTURE, not to mention the best way to learn a lesson.

Pie in the face, underwear songs, and fart jokes? Far less humiliating than what most parents SHAME their kids with on an ongoing basis, let alone being forced to SING because you forgot something! You forgot something, be a scout and help the fellow scout out! AS an adult, maybe have a discussion about WHY remembering to bring a needed item is important (not let yourself or others down) or being responsible, etc... Naw, just shame 'em some more.... that'll keep 'em in line.

My job as CM, #1 Keep 'em alive, you might get some bumps and scrapes, but don't loose a kid or allow them to do things that can permenently harm life, limb, or eyesight. #2 Keep it fun. #3 Let the KIDS figure it out for themselves the majority of the time.

Adult leaders (especially in cub land) are Great at #1, OK at #2 and most generally SUCK at #3.

Shortridge, thanks for that. However I would say that offical BSA 'stuff" violates pretty much everyone of those rules (this is not directed at you).

The underwear/nudity/bodily function thing has already been mentioned

Name-calling, put downs etc - lots of skits have some form of put down in it and they can be found in BSA books

Cross-gender impersonation - see above

Derogatory or stereotyping - REALLY and exactly how does the BSA use indian and indian culture except mostly as a stereotype

Sensative social issue - haven't seen this anywhere but who knows. The gentlmen in question did however allow his boys to create a skit that involved "shooting" other scouts. Hey wait a minute the skit where the "gang" beats up the dude in a tent then not in the tent.

Improper use of food - hmm, I guess the National would never authoize something like a marshmellow gun as a sales incentive. Also "Fluffy Bunny" which he has particiapated in.

If this objection had been brought during planning fine but it wasn't he refused to clean up after the meeting and then it became a big "we are violateing BSA policy" thing. If the guy has a problem fine state his feelings and we can work something out but he's trying to hide behind the BSA "policy" instead of actually dicussing it.

Yeah Renax,

IMHO, that type of quoting of the rules is generally best handled with the reply, "Sorry you didn't feel the event held up to the BSA standard. Can I get your name, number and e-mail address so YOU can be the sub-committee chair for this event next year? I'd love to hear your ideas for improving it and we can always use more adult volunteers..."

That usually gets right to the meat of the question at hand. If the parent / adult is raising the issue and has never show their face for a planning / committee meeting in their life, take it with a grain of salt and move on with life.

They either step up and make it what they want it to be, or they stop **** ing and stay out of the way. If they are in charge, they can't complain about the content anymore and you have one less thing on your plate.