Online cub scout tracking program

Thank you! After four years, I've finally seen the elusive "Internet Advancement" site (though it was only in screenshots)

I went through the ppt - this has to be the closest a local unit can get to running reports from the national system. Probably very nice to be able to print off exactly what national "thinks" you have, even if it's wrong.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's great to print a copy for each star or life scout so they can audit their own records and see how close they match with what is available on scoutnet.

Shortly after you hit submit on the internet advancement report it updates the boys records. It's not as important to have perfect records for a cub scout, but it's handy to have. I ask each parent when their son is ready to cross over to a boy scout troop if they want a copy of their son's records and print one off for them.

If you find an error like wrong date, you just log in, update the date and submit the report, sign and turn it in at the scout shop.

If you find an error like something has a date that shouldn't have a date, I reset the date to 1/1/2000 or something else like that to stick out. Then I go find who at council office is correcting reports and get them to remove the record-- in cubs that is an easy process. Haven't had to do it with boy scouts. In boy scouts I find missing merit badges, but haven't yet found a merit badge entered in error for something that they haven't really earned

There is a glitch in the belt loops recording that is now on internet advancement. IT will take belt loop dates occassionally. There is not a place to put the pins.

A suggestion if you want to get scoutnet certified is that you have to first get them to admit to you what the file upload has to look like, order of data. But if there is any way you can get it to kick back to you after an upload anything that didn't upload correctly and give an error report, that would be great.

See troopmaster (I haven't uploaded from packmaster ever) does't give an error report. the records of the scout just doesn't get uploaded and you don't know it. The issue is usually that the name and middle initial(or middle name spelled out) has to match the upload exactly with what is recorded in scoutnet. So if the software records have the scout down as George smith, but council has George W. smith or George William Smith then the records won't upload correctly. It should match up data based on membership ID number, but it's not that smart.

@5year

When I've uploaded to Scoutnet for Boy Scouts and there is an issue I've seen the problem based on the Scoutnet confirmation report. There is basically a 3 step process when uploading. 1st is to get the CSV file uploaded, 2nd is the processing and then the confirmation from Scoutnet of what it's about to upload/apply with the ability to make changes before doing so, 3rd is a confrimation report from Scoutnet that you MUST print in order for the process to be complete.

Also, based on what my Council's Advancement chairman told me is that Scoutnet matches up with First/Last Name and Date of Birth. He didn't mention Middle name but I'm sure that is probably true as well.

Troopmaster/Scoutmaster is nice in the fact that it won't even let your run a Court Of Honor/Pack Award report if any of that information is missing. It also gives you a report of exactly what is missing so you can go get it corrected.

I didn't get a specific error report but in the Confirmation file from Scoutnet I remember it had the scouts listed that had an error. I don't think it listed out exactly what the problem was though, just that it couldn't update the scouts record.

I don't have that confirmation form to look at it. I think that was one I helped the Scoutmaster run and he kept it because he knew right away what the problems were.

• 1 month later...

It's been several weeks since I posted about www.CubTrails.com, but thanks for everyone on this thread giving it a look at offering feedback. I've taken the feedback to heart, and am proud to announce that our latest release offers:

- Pack calendar with the ability to download/sync with desktop or mobile calendaring software

- Ability to plan den meetings in advance and then track attendance later

- All meetings now track time, duration, and have notes

- Printable Pack Roster

- Lots of other little things

If you haven't already given it a look, you can create a free account for 90 days to check it out by visiting http://cubtrails.com/trial.htm

In addition to the points mentioned above, CubTrails is an extremely easy-to-use, mobile-friendly pack management program that was built just for Cub Scouts. It makes a big difference to have your software built specifically for Cub Scouts, instead of having it built for Boy Scouts and then retrofitted for Cubs.

As always, feedback is welcome!

Eric

So Eric have you contacted Scouter.com and pay for advertising??????

It is one thing for users to discuss a program......It is something else for someone who stands to benefit from its promotion to post about it.....

Moderators I ask the previous advertisement be removed.

Yes, I've contacted Scouter.com twice about advertising. I actually even paid money through their online signup page.

Sadly, I never got a response, (even after paying money) so I cancelled the payment. I'm not looking for a free meal here, and would be happy to pay for advertising space, but the operators of these forums seem to be MIA.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think moderators/admin here exist. Took me like 5 months to get an account because the sign up page would just cause errors and emailed repeatedly with no response. Finally, one day the sign up page magically worked for me :)