Need a little help...

First, I'm a High Adventure director who runs whitewater programs and extended canoe treks for older Scouts, and Venture crews. Been ask to do a living history program for Cubbies demonstrating 18th century cooking techniques on the Fronteer. The problem is, I've no experience working with this age group....thoughts, ideal on how to build a program, and any other suggestions from you pro's would be greatly appreciated....a big thanks in advance

Pierre (Sorry it's too painful to call you M. DuMonde as I am now out of CDM coffee),

Treat them as you would anyone else. Have samples ready to give out, and do some research on what the Voyagers and Coer du Bois, especially the younger ones did, and talk about that. If memory serves, BOYS' LIFE did a graphic carton of BROKEN BLADE.

Also if there is anything you are willing to let the Cubs do, esp. the Webelos, let them do it. You will find that they like the "OUTING IN SCOUTING!"

Ok must prep my Dutch oven for Bear son to use next weekend.

Not being related to either lois or Clark, and not being a frontersman myself....All I can say is thia: Same program, just not as detailed.

Think baseball. For the youngest guys, we have T-ball, as they get older, coach pitch. older and they pitch themselves.

Show them a simple trap or snare. Show them how to make a cane pole from scratch. Build a fish trap . Make a wild fowl trap.

How about showing them how to buld a fire lay and cook something on a spit?

Could be a chicken that you already boiled beforehand ( to make it easier for you) or even hot dogs.

You could do a demo on skoking some meat too.

Show from strat to finish what a fronteersman did to put food in his belly.

Thing here to remembers - don't dumb anything down because they are younger, just use more common layman's words to explain what you are doing.

Mention about how everything had to be shot or trapped - no grocery stores to keep it interesting.

Don't forget to throw in a fronteersman era game to keep their interest up too. Horeshoes?

Good luck

Not at a scouting event, but at a pow wow. They had one "Trader" set up his camp with trade goods, cooking utensils out and being used, musket ready, etc. People would come up and talk to him and ask him questions and he would answer them. Grant you I am a historian by training, and almost specialized in your period, so I absolutely enjoyed our conversations.

One variation I see is having the campsite ready and have the Cubs help do the various things for ya, i.e. making the food, turning the spit, building the fire, etc.

What everybody said: Do the adult thing, but be ready to explain in kid's terms. Samples of the cooking. Jerky? Pemmican?(not the right period?) animal skins up drying? Fire starting w/o matches? Tumpline packs to try on? Spit turning? Plank baking fish? Beaver stew?

The older ones might earn their Whitlin Chip by helping to cut up the vegetables for the stew...

hauw, hauw, hauw...

Kinda thinking for hands on, instead of bannock simple hoe cakes. How to shuck corn, and grind it into meal, then turn it into flat bread. Fairly easy to roast them over coals. Followed up with a demo on how to cut meat NDN style ...

However, since this seems to be a Cub weekend with cubs rotating from station to station, I'm going to have to watch the clock...