Sorry to hog the board today as a newbie, but I came because I need a lot of help! As stated in my earlier thread, I am LDS, serving in an LDS troop. The positions are filled by being "called" and are unfilled by being "released". Basically, you don't petition to work in scouts, and although you can voluntarily quit, sometimes you are simply made to quit.

A few weeks ago, our cubmaster and assistant were released. They asked, so they kinda quit as well. No one has been called yet to become the cubmaster or assistant. We have one committee member, who is overwhelmed with everything else she has to do. She isn't doing much as a committee member.

In two weeks we will have a pack meeting. Due to a church conference this weekend, it is certain that no one will become the scout master prior to the next pack meeting.

We have been told that we are supposed to do the Arrow of Light Ceremony for a couple boys. We have 3 Bear/wolf den leaders and two webelos leaders. How in the world are we supposed to hold a pack meeting with the Arrow of Light ceremony? Do we need to cancel the pack meeting due to insufficient leadership?

Again, I cannot read the messages on this board at all. I have no idea why not, but if you could email your responses to me, I would be most appreciative. I need help, advice, and guidance! My email address is cncurry1111 at gmail dot com Thanks!

Hi christineka,

I'll follow with a PM later, but will post here in case you can see it and for others to see as well.

Anyone scout leader can conduct or lead the Arrow of Light Ceremony; a Cubmaster is not required. It does not have to be at a pack meeting, but can be in smaller setting. That said, I cannot speak to the requirements of your LDS charter organization. Does your LDS CO require that a Cubmaster conduct the ceremony or can any scout leader do it?

The "Seven Virtues of Light" is a suggested Arrow of Light ceremony and can be found the in the BSA manual "Ceremonies for Pack and Dens". Easy to do, very meaningful, and I've used it many times. You have 2 boys that will be much appreciative. If you need to simplify and ensure that the ceremony is conducted, forget about having a "Pack Meeting" and schedule an AOL ceremony and invite the Pack, family, and friends.

I'm the Cubmaster of my Pack and I did not lead or conduct the AOL ceremony for our boys. It was performed by their Den Leader. I stood by an proudly observed the ceremony. My job as CM is to ensure that an AOL ceremony is planned and if necessary, I will step in and lead it.

As and LDS Scouter who has over 30 years of scouting experience working in every type of unit. Its my hope that I can help you succeed in your new Calling as the Bear Den Leader.

In order for me to do that you need to understand how I look at callings. When you are called to a position in the church it is no different than someone coming and asking you to volunteer for that position. As that is exactly what happens.

In the case of Cub Scout Leaders they are nominated to the Bishopric (Leaders of a LDS Ward, one of these men are usually the COR) by the Primary Presidency (The primary is the organization in a LDS ward responsible for the children ages 18mos through 11 yrs old.). If the Bishopric feel that person should fill the position then they call (ask) the person if they would accept the calling (volunteer) for the position.

Once you accept the calling you (you are now a volunteer) and have the responsibility to fulfill the duties of the postion to the best of you abilities. In order to help you fulfill you calling the church provides all the training and material to help you succeed in you calling. In the case of a Cub Scout Leader the training is provided through the local BSA Council/District.

NOW BACK TO THE QUESTION (not shouting just changing subject)

Chistineka, it not your responsibility to worry about pack meeting. In the absents of a Cub Master (CM) or Assistant Cub Master (ASM) the responsibility for Pack Meeting falls on the Cub Committee. In the absents of a Cub Committee the responsibility fall upon the Primary Presidency, usually one of the Counselors are responsible and oversees the Cub Scout program in the ward, and serves as a member of the Cub Committee. In our ward she serves as the Committee Chairman.

Christineka, I suggest you only worry about your Bear Den. Let the Webelos Leader worry about the Arrow of Light Ceremony. And Let the Committee and Primary Presidency worry about the Pack Meeting. If you do this you won't be so over whelmed in your new Calling as a Cub Scout Den Leader.