Pack Fishing Derby

Around here we wait til June 11th and go out for free fishing day(no licenses required)and there is usually a couple lakes with fishing gear from the local game and fish dept for people to use. sometimes the game and fish dept provides all the bait and some prizes too.

or just check your state game and fish, or fish and wildlife office website and see if they have an intro to fishing class or education center and call em up and see if they can make arrangements for your kids.

also you could check with the local Cabelas type store or hunting/fishing gear store and see what they may be able to do for you.

and of course the local boy scout troop.

Now you probably should start by doing a talent survey of your pack parents and grandparents, aunts and uncles to see if anyone is an avid fisherman with a lot of gear who could help you out.

We've often his an urban lake or a lake nearby a campout location, done a bit of fishing, with some casting contests, as well as biggest, smallest, one that got away kind of prizes. end with a wildlife conservation clean up project--there always seems to be tangled line along the shore that can be cleared up. kids always love fishing.

As 5year said, do the talent survey, or ask around as to who likes to fish. People that like outdoors things such as fishing are likely to want their sons in cub scouts. Then ask that person or persons to coordinate a fishing derby.

fallback alternative: Check if there is a fishing club in your area, and contact their president/chair. Some fishing clubs members like to share their knowledge with kids.

We did the following:

-It was done the weekend before school starts as a way to get the "vet" cubs reacquainted from the summer break.

-We did at a local park with a fishing pier. That made parking and bathrooms easier.

-We asked our "parent" Troop to provide some Boy Scouts for some hauling and supervision. They did as service hours.

-We designated a couple of adults as "pier managers" whose job was to keep an eye on the boys and help them tie and bait hooks. At lease one should know what he is going.

-We had a bait manager who made sure the 5 gallon bait buckets were kept full. Also to keep the playing with the shrimp and pin-fish to a reasonable minimum.

-We had a couple moms take pictures since we did catch and release.

-We reminded the adults of the state fishing regs via email.

-We had a water manager who kept the jugs full of water and cups-gotta keep em hydrated. They also had sunscreen.

-We did it for about 4 hours or so. We provided free lunch as we found that was a barrier in past years. Usually it was hotdogs, chips, and soda. The pier we were out eventually catered it for us--they did it cheaper than us. We handed out tickets to for lunch (and ice cream) when families came up. It made it easier to estimate how many hotdogs, etc. If we gave out to many than we planned we had time to punt.

-Make it easy as possible for the parents. A lot more kids want to fish than parents have the knowledge or time to do it.

-Bring extra poles. I made a bunch of "old school" poles with bamboo from my yard. They were quite a hit. But if each leader adult brings a spare pole or two it is a great help. Make sure you put some masking tape and name on each loaner.

There is a lake up in the Marysville area that does this free kids fishing thing. I believe they supply rods and bait and such. I think its in spring or early summer.

I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the lake, but I bet you could google it. I found one put on the by Kiwannis club, but I thought there was another one on a lake.

We scheduled an Ice Fishing day this year. Here's what happened:

I picked the "Take your kid Ice Fishing" day the DNR listed so parents wouldn't need a license. Otherwise scouts could fish, but parents would need a license to fish, too.

Our Pack Meeting before the event, I had four bits lined up:

First, a local "ice fishing expert" come with all his cool gear, so everyone could get up close to it before the meeting. He was also to help the day of the event, drilling holes, etc.

One of our den leaders talked breifly about ice and cold weather safety (how thick ice needs to be safe) with some ice blocks and poster. A Den Chief demonstrated how to use Ice Claws to pull yourself out of a hole in the lake (not actually clawing the floor).

I went over the three "main points" for fishing laws: Season, License, and Limit. Our Bear Den made an electronic fish-matching game, so scouts could try their hand in ID'ing fish (so you know when you hit your limit).

One of the Tiger leaders led everyone in making "jiggle sticks", ice-fishing poles. Its a dowel, two screws and an eyehook. Links to instructions are here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/minnaqua/icefishing/index.html

Everything was set, we had a volunteer with a windshelter to set up, people bringing snacks/hot drinks, and some local press. I had equipment for "Ice Soccer" and some sleds for "Bobsled racing" and for the Webelos "Ice Claw Racing" (cause sitting around a hole in the ice may not be for everyone). I sent flyers to the school for recruiting, and had several potential new scouts ready to come.

Then three days before the event (February 18th), the city of Minneapolis closed the lake due to unsafe ice conditions.

Ugh. All that planning and excitement down the tubes.

Three weeks later was the Pinewood Derby, so they boys recovered from the disappointment. But the potential recruits didn't bite on that. I'm waiting to invite them to join for our Spring Camp in May.

We always have our fishing derby the Saturday before Father's Day. A person in the community lets us use his private lake, so no fishing license required here in Ohio (not needed for children under 16 anyway). We give out trophies for 1st fish caught, last fish caught, smallest fish, largest fish, and most caught. We have someone keep a list of names, order of catches, and size of fish. We also set up stations to work on their belt loop and pin before the derby starts. One parent runs each station. We have a casting station (use weighted bait w/ no hook & a hula hoop 30 feet out), baiting station, and a fish drawing and labeling station. Right before the derby begins, we gather all the boys together and explain Ohio's fishing regulations. One year we even had someone demonstrate how to clean a fish. All participating cub scouts should earn their belt loop but may need to complete a few additional activities to earn their pin.

Call your state DNR, fishing group or talk to fishing organizations. I know our pack (best at den level) has had a group come in and teach fishing to the scouts. All for free. It's part of their promotion of fishing and fishing licenses, etc.

Well, let me start off by first saying that every state has a different set of rules and regulations.

We go to a soundside park down at the beach. It's a combo boat ramp, fishing pier, playground , mini amptheatre park.

In my styate ( NC) those under 16 do not need a fishing license.

Now, since we are a coastal pack, at least 3/4 of our members/ parents have been fishing enough to know what to do. Some are semi pro, some are just dangerous!

The realitry is this: we pretty much figure we are going to help the kids fed the fish. If they catch fish....that's awesome!

We have a catagory for first fish caught, biggest fish, smallest fish, ugliest fish, the most fish caught, crab, strangest object caught, and starting last year, first person to be bit by their bait.

WE do not buy trophies, but print out homemade certificates from :

http://www.cyberbasetradingpost.com/docs/create-a-certificate1.cfm

We usually bring a big ice chest full of bottled water and we bring a grill to cook hotdogs.

The boys love it, their sisters lover it and all the parents appreciate the benches that are scattered everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto. There's a public fishing area closeby us, and they do Kids Fish Day at least twice a year. I made pals with the Ranger after the 2nd time we went, and now he emails me when the next event gets added to their calendar.

It's nice because they have poles out their for kids who don't have them, and a Ranger has untangled my son's line or dug a hook out of a catfish's mouth for me many (many) times.

We do a pancake breakfast fishing morning. The folks who aren't that interested in fishing enjoy pancakes, bacon, juice and coffee. If you need help there, get a few adults from a nearby troop to help do the cooking.

Every year we watch boys fish for their first. Even better, we get to watch boys fish for their first time with their parents.

Let me know if you need a few bucks donated.

Barry