Graduate Webelos I to Webelos II

I believe officially it is Webelos Den for boys working on their Webelos badge, and Arrow of Light Den for boys working on AOL.

No, it is Webelos den. You may have more than one den of Webelos due to the number of Webelos you have, but then it would be Webelos den 8 ans Webelos den 3 or whatever their den number was, but both dens are just Webelos dens..

Our pack informally refers to them as Webelos I and Webelos II - which is short for first year and second year Webelos. But again, that is an informal reference we use and not a correct or standard reference.

Now, if you have a den based on those working towards and one based on earning AoL.do you do the same for lower ranks working on rank versus arrow points?

What if one or two scouts are either slower than the rest or faster than the rest? Do you pull them from one den and stick them in the other?

So anyways, back to the original post, we introduce them as the upperclass cub scouts within the pack, We explain that they are winding down their journey and that they are working under harder and more intense objectives. We tell our audience that they are gettiung close to meeting the requirements of AoL.

Tiger, Wolves, and Bears have den names. The Webelos don't, because the way I see it they can choose their own den name, much like a Boy Scout patrol chooses a name. So, after they had earned their Bear badge, toward the end of the school year, I had them work together to come up with a den name they liked. They became the Thunder Snakes, and when they bridged from Bear to Webelos they also got a den emblem that we ordered for them.

The AOL guys have bridged, and the Thunder Snakes are the oldest boys left. For one thing, they will be helping out at the bridging ceremony (beginning of June, bridging into their next rank, new neckerchiefs, etc.), taking part in the process, but they will also be getting one of the Scout coins - I don't remember which one I got them.

>>>Those may be the terms your pack uses, but there's no basis in anything for them. And they ignore the fact that a Webelos Scout can earn the Webelos badge at any time, not just in the first year of the program.

I agree to your first statement and stand corrected. But I never made any allusion to your second reference, which seems to be that I said a boy can only earn the Webelos badge in the 4th grade? I never said that.

>>>I can think of lots of reasons not to embrace those designations, though!

Such as?

>>>Now, if you have a den based on those working towards (Webelos?) and one based on earning AoL, do you do the same for lower ranks working on rank versus arrow points?

I have two packs each with only 1 Webelos leader that straddles each den. Boys who have not earned their Webelos badge, are in a den working to that goal. Boys who have earned their Webelos badge, are working towards AOL. Both dens are mixed 4th & 5th graders. Boys who earn Webelos are immediately crossed over into the AoL den. And there ARE 5th-graders who have not (and will not) earn their Webelos badge even in two years.

Your comments about Arrow points are a little snarky and I'm not meaning to be baited into an argument. Our instructions to the den leaders are, work on rank advancement first, arrow points second. I have seen both DL's and parents work on electives only (but they seem so much easier!), run out of time in the program year and not been able to complete rank advancement, and end up earning neither.

Yes, both packs are poor programs with no pack committees, stressed-out Cubmasters, a bare handful of lah-dee-dah den leaders who may or may not show up, and little-to-no parent participation. And a small handful of boys, and Tuesday night is the best night of their week.

>>>All Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cubs "graduate" at the end of the school year. They graduate to their next school grade, and thus, to their next Cub Scout program level. BSA automatically bumps up every Cub level as of June 1st, every year. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with whether or not they have earned the rank AWARD for their level.

I think that's pretty much what I said or intended, but if you just meant to clarify it - thanks.

• 1 month later...

What we have done is now that all our boys have received their Webelos badge, we took a meeting to discuss what it takes to be and troop, and the difference in how they are run. We talk about becoming Boy Scouts, and finishing the Arrow of Light. We make a few goals, and then decide on a patrol name, flag design, and patch design. This year, during a pack Meeting, we issued the boys with their new Brown shirts with their patrol patch pinned on upside down. We told them they had to do a service project of their choosing to get the patch righted. After they did that, when we went to the next campout, I presented them with thei flag that they designed. So now my 2nd year Webelos feel like a patrol, and the bears are already looking forward to earning their flag.

We do not graduate Web 1's into Web 2's since they are already Webelos and they are continuing their 1.5 year program. However, we do give them a place of honor as the "color guards" during our den crossover ceremony when we graduate the Tiger/Wolf/Bear Dens.

We always did as the others did, game them a little more recognition and "perks". We would seat the den's by senority so the W2's were at the front. Actually Kinda like a U this:

Bears Wolfs

Webelos 1 Wolfs

Webelos 2 Tigers

S T A G E

So the Webes got recognition and the Tigers were close at hand. Also we could ask the Webes to help them since they were next door.

"Tiger, Wolves, and Bears have den names. The Webelos don't, because the way I see it they can choose their own den name, much like a Boy Scout patrol chooses a name."

Actually, they do have a den name. It's called a Webelos den.

They can choose to use a different name , almost like a boy scout patrol does. But they are still a den. They are in no way considered a patrol.

If they choose "cobras" as an example, then they can be refered to as the Cobra den. They can use a cobra patrol patch in place of their den number patch, but are still called dens.

Unofficially, call them what you want. We say Webelos I and Webelos II in reference to first year Webelos and second year Webelos. They are just Webelos either way, but it's quicker to say Webelos I or Webelos II. :)