Cub Scout "Video Game" Awards

Just last week I asked our Area Director if anyone had checked to see if the declining membership started when they started to shift the program to more indoor/technology-related than outdoor/camping-related. The look on his face meant "no".

Most of the boys in my den have earned this belt loop. It wasn't my choice but they were very enthusiastic about it. My son even brought up the video game rating system recently and he is much easier to deal with now as far as balancing games vs. real life demands.

Of course it's my goal to get all the boys to work on hiking, map & compass, and some of the more scouty type belt loops.

I remember the uproar around my pack when that belt loop came out. *Shrug* It' just one belt loop. At the cub scout level, you can control what they do. If you don't like it, don't let them do it.

Edit: this isn't a merit badge. It's a belt loop and has been around for two years. Title is wrong.(This message has been edited by momof2cubs)

We awarded our first Video Game Beltloop and Pin last night. You could hear the excitement from the Pack as it was announced. The CM then had the Cub name what he had to do to earn it. It was nice to hear him state "I had to schedule time for homework (boring), chores (boring)and then I had time for games".

My son wanted to earn this belt loop soooo bad and I initially resisted. Until, I read to him what was needed to earn the belt loop and pin. We have setup a schedule, reviewed the rating system and the other requirements. I found out that he has been playing a game with a rating for older kids. He has agreed that he cannot play that game until he is older and likes the schedule we have created together. We are both happier!

While traditional scouting skills are important and our bread and butter......the modern boy needs more.

I was just on this topic last night with a Venturing Advisor. Youth have access to tremendous communications tools. They need to be taught how to use them. This involves increasing one's level of:

1. Discernment

2. Time management

3. Courtesy

And, maybe, a little accountability.

Interesting. Haven't seen this one awarded, but very few loops/pins are awarded in our pack (maybe 5 total since September in a pack of 45 boys).

The don't seem very popular-- the boys focus on rank and electives.

-Scott

"The don't seem very popular-- the boys focus on rank and electives."

That is too bad, many of the belt loops and pin criteria are are being completed while doing the rank and electives. Many of the boys enjoy the belt loops and pins because they have an opportunity to focus on something they are interested in and earn something while learning more. It is also a great way to introduce an easy new game like marbles (Wolf Den Meeting 15) that is fun and can be done almost anywhere.

I always focus on completing at least one or two belt loops during a pack campout. Why? Because they are easy, fun and any parent can participate in the instruction of at least one of the criteria. The next pack meeting is a great time awarding all the belt loops and the scouts have a lot of memories of learning something new and the parents have a chance to get involved.

Because it is fun for the boys to earn the belt loop, receive it in a ceremony (Pack Meeting), wear it on their belt to remind them of the fun and encourages them to seek out other belt loops. The entire program is "fun with a purpose". My son has picked out belt loop subjects he was never interested in doing before and has learned from them.

Besides, does it really hurt to spend a little more time with the little guy doing something new and not focused on advancement?

I agree completely that the activities need to fun. To me, that is the absolute essence of Scouting, and is in often marked contrast to the pressures put upon children these days to "succeed" in school and competitive sports. I remember very well when I was a Scout how much I looked forward to each meeting-- it was always the high-point of my week (still is!).

I can't really say why the loops/pins are not more popular in our pack. They get promoted in our monthly newsletter, and the parents can easily access the info online. I bring the manual to our den meetings, and make it available to any interested parents.

My focus has been to make the advancement activities as fun as possible, and the boys really seem to enjoy them. Also, time is short and the advancement & elective activities provide a very full spectrum of opportunities for "fun with a purpose". Of course, that's part of the genius of the Scouting program: it can be tailored to the needs of the pack, den and individual boys. Supplemental programs, like Academics & Sports or the Cub Scout Family program, provide additional options.

-Scott