Outings Chair

I have a question regarding the definition of a term that is found in the latest Age-Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities, the chart published by the BSA. Under the heading Camping on this chart is a subsection entitled Parent/Son Overnights. Compared to previous guidelines published by BSA, this is a new section. Viewing as a lawyer, I would assume that when something new is said, it's saying something different from what's already been said. Since all the other terms are still there, I wonder what new thing this parent/son overnights is. Is this now a formal recognition by BSA that a Tiger, Wolf or Bear cub scout can camp overnight with his parents, and that's a sanctioned BSA event? Previously, that could only be done as a pack or council-level event.

Sounds like - to me that is - an aswer to a question we get every time a new parent or new leader joins our pack.

Our concil holds 3 sessions of Parent/son camping each fall.

As soon as the flyers are mailed and passed out, you get a handfull of people who chime in to point out that this type of thing is not allowed due to misunderstood rule # P-238 or whatever.

Now usually you can just say : "No, it is allowed." But misinformation spreads faster than gossip and wildfire combined!

Let one of those misinformed parents/ leaders post the "this is not allowed " rule on facebook................ You show up for camping and you are the only one there from your unit!

Defend,

Out of curiosity, how long have you been away from the Cub Scout program? I don't know exactly when Cubs started to do family camping, it was after I became a Boy Scout that's for sure, but sometime in the 1990s Cubs started camping. I know when I was active with teh OA as a yute in '93-95 range, my council put on massive encampments with 10-12 Thousand participants and staff, mostly Cubs.

FWIW we have a lot of long term Boy Scout leaders, some of whom who should know better, that still think, "Cubs don't need to camp." and that's why I'm asking.

I will say this, I got an entite pack chomping at the bit to go camping. Have one planned for April and another in May. AND we may send some families to the new council campout also in May. Last pack meeting, 3/4 of the pack was outside.

As Green Bar Bill said "OUTING is three-fourths of ScOUTING." and ScOUTING IS OUTING!"