Cub Scouting in a retail store !

We have a arts and crafts store in this area named "Michael's".

Went in to get some craft material, and consider my pleasent surprise when I see a BIG Pinewood Derby display! Eyecatching! Official BSA material! Precut shapes! Multi color wheels! Axle aligning tools! All kinds of stuff! More kindsastuff than at the Scout store I visited just last week! All with the BSA holo logo on it! WooHoo! And (here's the good part), the display had partially empty hooks, indicating some sales!

I unfortunately did not have the time to ask the manager about it, and my asthma always reacts when I'm in there anyway (too much fake flowers and greenery).

Anybody else see any Scout stuff anywhere else besides the ScoutStore?

Those kits are not the exclusive domain of scouting. I've also seen them for sale online as well as in Michael's. They are manufactured and marketed to anyone who wants to use them, and used by other organizations besides cub scouts. Some of the cubs buy multiple kits to make 'extra' cars. My daughter built a pinewood derby car and the church used the same track that the cub scouts used for an 'open' event for all children. As CO, the tract belongs to the church and is used for one weekend each year by the cub scouts. Why not employ the same materials and use the facilities for the OTHER children who have fun doing these things?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

If memory serves me correctly, it seems like we had some issues with those cars from Michael's a couple years ago. The tires or axels did not pass muster at district PWD.

Soimething about the wording wasn't exact either. It might have been that it said Boy scouts on the box, but it wasn't the offical wheels, axels or correct size blank block of wood.

Of course, the district PWD committee also deems any wheels and nails that did not come in the original box as "non spec". So if you had bought genuine BSA colored wheels from teh scout shop ...they were considered illegal.

Go figure! :o

So this year, one of our members did buy one just so we could inform or pack memebers of wether they were leagle or not...and the cars were good.

We let the district PWD chair know at one of the RT's ( a month ahead of time)that the kits from Michaels were BSA licensed and approved kits.

Many of those in attendance echoed our sentiment, so district dropped alot of "illegal" items from their list.

Lowe's has similar stuff, although they are less involved selling the accessories, rather have some cross-promotion with Dremel.

Somewhere (maybe it was Michael's) I saw one of these display which featured "high performance" wheels and axels. Log on to Scout Stuff and you'll find over $150 in jigs and alignment tools for the truely over-the-top racer. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you'll be able to buy official BSA cars, complete and ready to race. (They've been available online for years.)

So much for supporting the program if there's a buck to be made. Pity the poor pack leader who wants to run a fair, fun event for the boys and avoid all the adult-driven uber-competition. It has been a few years since I ran a PWD (for which I greatfully thank the Lord), but if I had to do so again, I would adopt SeattleP's approach of including building the cars in the during the day of the race. And that's a shame too. One of my greatest joys in Cub Scouting was spending time working with my son's on their cars.

Oh, yeah, I saw lots of "Knotty Pine Racer" stuff awhile back, but this is all Oh-Fish-All BSA hologram logo labeled.

I find it interesting that this whole rack is dedicated to Cub PWD parts. What's next... REI or LLBean selling BSA branded backpacks? Buster Brown BSA shoes again? Mebbe made in the USA... ummmm mebbe not.

Just because it says BSA on it doesn't mean it can't be sold to the public. Lodge has had the #12 dutch oven with the BSA logo on the box for years sold in a ton of stores throughout the country. As a matter of fact I don't think you can buy a Lodge dutch oven #12 without the BSA logo on the box.

Stosh

I don't care who they sell it to or where, rather that they are now selling all sorts of "unofficial" performance parts that aren't in the "official" kit. To keep some semblance of a level competition, the rule in our pack was that all parts had to be "official BSA". Well that's now out the window.

"What do you mean I can't use the rocket motors? It says BSA right here on the box!"

Just another aggravation for the unit leaders created by National.

BSA has licensed Revell and DREMEL to maske and sell official BSA PWD kits. They are official, and should be allowed to race.

BUT as we discovered, some of the Dremel or Revell kits had some pre-BSA licensed stock in the kit, specifically the wheels. THAT casued some headaches at PWD this year.