Yet another Pinewood Derby question (tis the season)

OK tonight I made the announcement moving the date of our PWD back a week, scheduling conflicts to a fare-thee-well on the original date, and I had a question asked of me. Can a Scout run a car in the PWD if he is not present? I am inclined to say yes, as it is the car itself and how well it was built not skill that determines the outcome, but am asking the collective wisdom for experience and advice. ;)

No.

If pinewood derby was just about racing little wooden cars, just have the Scouts drop them off and have a couple of people run them until the winner is found.

If pinewood derby is about more than just racing little wooden cars, like teaching sportsmanship, dealing with winning and losing in a proper way, having fun regardless of the outcome, the excitement of seeing what you made race down the track, then the Scouts must be there.

What we do, meetings, activities, outings, are a means to an end, not the end themselves.

Absolutely yes!

Even without a re-schedule.

We've had kids check in their cars before having to go to a basketball playoff. They didn't even get to see their car run.

It's about building the car, learning the tools, and working with your dad. Not about being available for 4 hours on a Saturday morning.

What would you do if a kid put 20 hours into his car and got sick on PWD day? Save it for next year, kid?

Our PWD tends to be on a Saturday morning, and there are always folks that show up, drop off their car, got to sporting events or activities they're involved in, and come back afterward. The car still races. So long as someone weighs it in, I don't see why not to let them.