Blue and Gold

It's that time of year again! It's time to put together all the details for our big night coming up in a couple weeks. We have a very good sized group this year do to an extra effort at fall recruitment taking our pack from 6 to 27 scouts! :) Anyway, I've been involved with the planning for some years now and want to do something a little different this year, we've tried cake bakes in the past, what a flop. The kids have chosen a theme, 'Scouting through the years' and I'm just wondering, what do other groups do? Do you have guest speakers? What kind of menu do you go for? I've been to ceremonies for my nephews where everyone gets a door prize, is this something we are leaving out? I understand that the general idea is to celebrate the birthday of scouting, give out awards, we give out pinewood cars on this night, and generally enjoy each other's company over dinner. I just want to add to it up this year, the kids and leaders have worked really hard to make this year the best we've had in a long time. Thank you in advance for everyone's input!

"we've tried cake bakes in the past, what a flop."

Was it just a cake bake and judge them? What we do is a cake bake then cake auction to cover our annual FOS fundraiser, lots of fun when parents get caught up in the bidding for thier son's cake.

We do skits, and it is also our traditional crossover for the Webelos to the Troop, so the troop is there as well, but it is also just about fellowship.

We do different themes throughout the years. The food and entertainment are based on that theme.

This year is a Mardi Gras theme: we will have breakfast (fruit, pancakes, bignets, etc), the entertainment will be a magician, and each den needs to decorate their table.

We usually do a father/son bake-off contest, but since we are doing breakfast this year, we decided instead to do some a death by chocolate during our march meeting, which is our cross over meeting and most parents don't feel compelled to attend when it is not their special snowflake crossing over. We are hoping this will increase attendance.

Last year our theme was Medieval Times. We had the restaurant Medieval Times cater it and provide some knights that did fun demonstrations. The dens each had to make a shield as decorations.

The year before was birthday party theme to coincide with the 100th year celebration.

I have never been involved in the planning so I can't complain too much, but ours is basically just a pack meeting with food.

they hold back the rank badges (or conversely the kids work towards having them done by B&G) and pass them out and they do an arrow of light ceremony for the 2nd year WEBS. sometimes if anybody from council can be bothered to show up they will do a FOS presentation. then we clean up and go home.(This message has been edited by beardad)

As many packs as there out there, that's how many different ways Blue & Gold banquets are. We have about 100 scouts in our pack, so door prizes would be a bit spendy! It certainly isn't necessary.

We've always had the dens make centerpieces based on the annual theme (we did Scouting through the years one year too, our den printed some Norman Rockwell Scouting paintings and glued them to sticks stuck into some craft foam). When we were smaller, we could get away with potluck, but now we have the food catered by KFC, a special treat the Scouts love, and then have the families bring desserts.

We have the district's OA ceremonial team come most years and do the Arrow of Light ceremony for us, the Scouts and parents love that as well, seeing the Indian regalia, the drums and dance, and the whole ceremony of it. Then the Webelos IIs cross the 'bridge' into a Boy Scout troop. We wind it up with some sort of entertainment (magician, Science guy, reptile or bug guy, etc.), but financially not all packs can do this, so guest speakers are an idea, or maybe even a Cub Scout talent show (which would probably take a bit of pre-planning and/or auditions).

Food: pizza, fried chicken, veggie catered for ~$8/ea.

Entertainment: magician, Comedy Sports, Mad Scientist, etc. after dinner

Prizes: yes, every kid gets one, but they're never very big.

Advancement: regular, AOL if they've earned it, but never cross-over - that's a separate event in March.

Committee: in September, the Webelos 2 parents are told, "it's your sons' last B&G, what do you want to do?"

Theme: see "Committee" above.

Food is pasta and meatballs provided by our Charter Organization

Entertainment is either a magician if the Pack Treasury is good, Den Skits and Songs if not.

FOS- get it over with!

Advancement- Ranks and Arrow of Light only. Not enough time for all of the pins/loops.

Cross-over Webelos 2 to Boy Scouts. Always the climax to the event.

Our theme changes yearly. Last year was "litter to glitter"--centerpieces the boys made from recycled materials, kid friendly food (chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks), etc.

This year, we have a birthday party theme--balloons, streamers, a balloon making guy, games like pin the tail, fishing for goodies, things like that. After dinner, we are holding the rank ceremony (Bobcat, Tiger, Wolf and Bear all move up in rank, and the Webes get the AoL--Crossover will be in March at our campout). Dinner is BBQ and cake.

Our cake bake is done in May--the boys bake the cakes and either take them home, share them for snack, or pay a canned good and smash the cake on the den leader or cubmaster! Guess which one is most popular, lol!

Edited to add: We do our FoS at the March pack meeting.(This message has been edited by CCbytrickery)