This is a Technique

Perhaps someone from the Great Rivers Council could shed more light on why the council is allowing girls to join Cub Packs using the LFL program only for registration purposes. Perhaps the membership chair of the district or even District Director, Jon Wilson and/or District Executive Andrew Gronauer of the Boonslick District would be willing to comment on this technique here on the forums.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would find it inappropriate for any of us who are not from that council to contact them and stick our noses into it. Given the press coverage, one may reasonably suppose that folks in the council are either already aware of this and ok with it, or are addressing it internally.

We here on this forum are outsiders. Calling with an intent to cause trouble would be most unscoutlike.

I need to point out that I am not suggesting that outsiders contact these folks; my hope is that perhaps some of these folks happen to post on the forums already and would be willing to comment. It is likely that there are folks on these forums who are actually part of the Boonslick district.

I always look forward to explanations from the management when national policies are in question. But from my experience, I have also found that many times such a request is generally ignored.

If anyone thought that I was suggesting folks from the outside to contact these folks that was never my intent.

ramblin.......I called for about 4 weeks, finally out of frustration I started hitting zero and kept pressing till I got a real person who transferred me to another real person who transferred me to voicemail... Hi this is Jim I cannot find a GS Troop for to join, I would like to start one.....call me at 123-1234

I got a voice mail back that said Men could not be leaders.....I called back to the number left on my voicemail and have not heard anything since, that was October......

Looked at AHG and don't like their website or the info in their info pages.....

I don't know much about AHG. I do know that my brother in law's family, who are avid BSA people, chose to start a AHG troop wiht their daughters rather than have them be part of GSA. And these are people that have one Eagle son and another well on the way. So they believe in scouting. But not girl scouting.

EDITED: ok, I just went to their web site and a cursory glance told me they seem to be a lot more scouting oriented than the girl scouts themselves! They promote character building, life skills, and outdoors. What didn't you like about it?(This message has been edited by momof2cubs)

Basement,PTC(Phimont Training Center) is offering a week long conference

Week 9/Aug 5-11 for AHG.

American Heritage Girls

The Boy Scouts of America and the American Heritage Girls have signed a Memorandum of Mutual Support, and many BSA councils are working with local AHG communities and areas to conduct joint activities, training, recruiting, and more. This conference is for local BSA volunteers who are already working with AHG, those who want to learn about AHG, and AHG volunteers.

The following taken from their website..............

American Heritage Girls is a Christ-centered leadership and character development ministry.

While many folks on this board might not have a problem with the above statement, I do, some of the youth I serve are not christian..

I too have seen male GS leaders in our area. I think it's usually in conjunction with a female leader though. My guess is that the GS are generally wary to some unknown male showing up saying he wants to start a troop. Perhaps you could find a mother who would agree to co-lead. If that works, you could do the prep work and be the primary leader, but she agrees to be present at all the meetings, etc... It may not be really all that different from our two deep leadership, except that the other person is female.

Just a thought...