Tips to a great pack - feedback wanted

I am teaching a course at the University of Scouting on tips for a great pack. I'd love to hear your input and feedback for changes you think I should make- or more importantly, things that you believe I omitted. You can see my presentation at the following location:

https://sites.google.com/site/forneycubscoutpack1007/importantdocs/tips_and_tricks_to_a_great_pack.pptx

Good slide show.

A few things that I would say would help lead towards a great pack...

1) You are selling a product. Your customers are the scouts and parents. If they aren't happy, you won't be either.

2) Formally survey scouts, parents, and leaders at least once a year. Determine what they need to make the product better from their perspective. Ask them their thoughts on activities, fundraisers, den and pack meetings. Change things if you see a consistent theme or problem.

3) Have a working plan that explains how you will split dens. Make sure that you don't let them get too large.

4) Encourage attendance at Roundtables. This is a way of reaching those "experienced" leaders and to bring new things back to your back.

5) Make sure that leaders feel comfortable working with each other. Our pack has adult gatherings. We meet, at a restaurant, after roundtable. We have a winter gathering. We go ahead and do an adult pinewood derby the night before the pack pinewood. Do your best to create an environment where leaders work with each other and know the back round of the other leaders.

6) Build your committee. Make sure that there is plenty of help for the program staff. Have people there to support you with fundraising, activities, advancement, recruitment, training,etc.

7) HAVE FUN!!! Make sure that the key unit leaders look out for burnout amongst themselves and other pack leaders. Take a break when you need it. Don't be afraid to delegate tasks. Don't worry when someone makes a mistake, even if its yourself. Do what you can, when you can, and the best that you can.

Power point.....I am assuming your going to project this on a screen in a semi dark room

I would remove the header from each page, wasted space.

Too much text on each slide. participates will not be able to read it in the semi dark room.

I would remove the famous people quotes, If you want to keep them put them on their own slide.

Content looks good

I would create a single page summary sheet to give to the participants.

There's a lot of good information here, but as others have said the slides are too busy.

As a general rule, a PowerPoint should have 3-5 bullet points per slide. Each bullet represents a highlight or big idea. You flesh out the meaning of the point with your spoken presentation.

Right now, much of what is on the slides is what should be your script for your verbal presentation. Transfer the info to the "notes" section of the presentation, and use it to guide what you say. After the seession, provide your learners with a handout, which includes the slides and the notes.

Graphics distract from what you're trying to communicate (the audience reads the cartoon and doesn't listen to you!) use them sparingly, or put them in separate slides.

Some tips:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/10-tips-for-more-effective-powerpoint-presentations.html

You have also misspelled Webelos. Remember - its not a plural, but an acronym "WE'll BE LOyal Scouts" - WE BE LO S. Without the "S" they're not Scouts!!

Please let us see the completed presentation. Good luck!

I did a similar presentation. I spent a fortune out of pocket copying. somewhere are round 1500 sheets copy collated and stapled. Go to lunch and see too many of my copied presentations abandon on the tables and in the trash container.

So in the following year I did a single page summary that included an email address with my email address to request a pdf copy of the presentation.

Basement - I did much the same thing this year. My council will provide handouts if we get them in two weeks before UofS. Even though I was presenting two sessions I had done in previous years, I didn't get my act together to send them in on time. However, the attendance sheet for the sessions included everyone's e-mail address. During my lunch break, I put everyone's e-mail in a spreadsheet, and after the session e-mailed the presentation, being careful to use the bcc feature, to protect their privacy.

The year before, I burned one presentation and a bunch of supporting materials to CDs and handed those out instead of the paper.

However, I did get feedback from the learners that they like to have something on which to take notes, so in future I plan to be more organized :-) and get the handouts in early.

All I can add is to go over the top with fun. We had one memorable pack meeting where it was so good, I was deeply worried that we'd never hit that pinnacle again. Fortunately, the next two meetings were Derby and Blue and Gold.

Make award time extra special. We often tried to give the awards in unique ways. Once, I taped them to foam arrows and shot them in the direction of the scouts.

Try to keep the den meetings fun. Again, go over the top. Invite people in. A friend who's on SWAT came in full gear, including M-4 submachine gun to talk to the boys about law enforcement. Aim high when inviting guests. For Boy Scouts I've had a Federal Judge and State Senator over. The worst they can do is say no when you ask.

Lastly, be ready to handle the inevitable personal conflicts. More often it's with the parents not the kids. Confront it head on and get it over with.

Oh, Have FUN

ok, version 2 posted trying to incorporate a lot of the feedback. The main one I know I ignored is about the quotes because I have a sentimental attachment to them.

https://sites.google.com/site/forneycubscoutpack1007/importantdocs/tips_and_tricks_to_a_great_pack_ver2.pptx

Better?

p.s. - You may need to view the notes page now to get the context of some of the bullets.

p.p.s- oops- i forgot to correct Cubmaster(This message has been edited by once_eagle-always_eagle)

I have to agree with the the simple bullets. Too many words on screen. People HATE reading to them.

If you must put the words on the notes in Powerpoint and print out the presentation with notes as a handout. That way they can pay attention to YOU and not worry about the writing down a web address or anything. A couple people will make notes anyway; it aids their comprehension (I do and then throw them away)

Great content! Few quibbles. I would add a few places for ideas and inspiration. I found the Cub Scout How-To book really, really a life saver; a lot of good ol ideas.