Den and Pack Pizazz

The theme of my December Cub Scout Roundtable is going to be "The Secrets of Den and Pack Pizazz."

The idea is going to be to find the best ways to create an exciting den and pack meeting or activity for Cub Scouts and adults.

I'm soliciting district leaders to refer me to people who have den and pack pizazz so we can invite them to be presenters at the Roundtable.

All you folks are invited to contribute ideas, too?

What are the secrets of den and pack pizazz as you have seen or practiced them?

Den Yells-Dens are encouraged to use their yells when there name is mentioned at Pack meetings.

Relay races-we have done some good ones based on camping equipment (pass the sleeping nag)

Balloon stomp -great for den meetings

Cub Scout How-To Book--lots of ideas.

Candy Fire - always popular. We have done it with 100 boys at a Pack meeting.

Keep the Pack meetings moving!

Consider taking the meeting outside if you usually do it in a classroom or cafeteria. Or if you always do it in a park find a new location.

We had a den meeting in a City Park, took a hike for 30 minutes, had a meeting at a "camp site" (picnic table) and came back.

I like to do a competition between dens in the course of pack meetings.

In December dens will be making "Christmas Sleighs" from cardboard boxes that they decorate. During the pack meeting, the Scouts in each den pull one of their number around a race course as "reindeer" pulling on a rope attached to the sleigh. After each lap a new boy gets in the sleigh to be pulled around.

I also do a competition setting up a tent during pack meetings before our June campout. Each den is given a self supporting tent to erect, the winner being the den who erects the tent, gets all the boys in the tent and the den cheer given the fastest.

So what's candy fire? I haven't heard of that one!

Candy fire

You have the boys practice making a fire on paper plate using edibles. First mini-marshmallows to make a fire ring. Some coconut for tinder, pretzel sticks for kindling, pretzel logs for fuel. Put red hots on to represent the fire. Or any other suitable candy/snack item. Then they get to eat them.

Some boys carefully build a log cabin or teepee structure, etc.

Very popular. Requires some organization to do for 100.

For what it is worth, I personally do not like "Den" competitions.

When I took over as Cubmaster it seemed that all the dens were against each other and even when we camped at events we had Webelos that wanted nothing to do with the Tigers.

We quit the den competitions and made it about the boys. If we have sock wars or something fun like that we always divide the Scouts into like sized groups.

This has helped our Pack become a much more cohesive group and we can use the leadership of the older boys when we do things.

But for that Pack pizzaz, don't forget corny jokes and being able to act silly. At our last Pack meeting we had a uniform inspection and I simply put on my neckerchief on my head and a pair of sunglasses and it was the loudest that they screamed and laughed the whole night. You just have to get out of your box.(This message has been edited by jzweiac)