With all of the patriotism that has been shown over the last year I see a lot of worn out flags being displayed. I was considering a drive to collect worn out flags in our area and then conduct a flag retirement ceremony at our next outing. I have seen a couple of ceremonies on the web but I was wondering are there any guidelines for the bsa?

An Eagle candidate from my troop recently did a flag retirement (200 flags) and he used the American Legion ceremony. If there was BSA ceremony, I'm sure that our 35 year ASM would have mentioned it.

All that's required by law is to destroy the flag with respect, preferably by burning. Everything else is just pomp.

www.legion.org/our_flag/of_unserviceable_flag.htm

My son's Eagle project was to collect the old and replace with new American flags at the graves of veterans in 5 local Cemetaries. Then he collected flags from schools and other governmental units and the general public. The second part was to MC a Flag Retirement ceremony. To add to what Yaworski said, mt son found only one offical reference on flag retirement

According to Title 36, section 176, of the United States Code: "No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America;"

Paragraph K of this same section, states: "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning."

As it turned out, he was able to have an open fire, about 4x6, all "regular" size flags had string tied on the corners and were brought over the flames. The rising hot air would billow the flag up and the scouts would slowly lower the flag towards the flames. Most of the time the flag never touches the flames, it burst into flames and virtually disintigrates. The smaller flags were bound into 50 flags bundles and brought over the flames as well.

I attended a 9/11 Memorial which included a mass Flag Retirement. All the people there who had experience retiring flags all had different views on how it was to be done. Cut the flag apart first, never cut the flag, place each flag in the fire and wait it to burn, vs pile them on. We had as many opinions as people there.

You will find many reference on the Internet concerning Flag Retirements, the key component, each flag is to be retired with dignity and respect.

I can send you the script from his ceremony if you leave your Email

When we retire a flag, we raise it one last time, let it fly and after lowering, have 4 boys drape it over the fire in ONE PIECE! as the flag is being retired we ask a scout to say what the flag means to him and then ask an adult leader (usually one who has been in the military or public service) to say a few words also. Silence is then kept while a leader verifies that the flag has been totally consumed. Once that is done the scouts are dismissed to their camp site. It has startled me over the years the respect the young scouts maintain during this ceremony. We do not require it, it just seems to happen.

Some years back, camping near another troop we were asked to participate in their retirement ceremony. When that troop cut the flag up, saying words as to why, our boys stirred noticably and later many came up to the adult leaders upset that the flag had been treated in such a way. Didn't have a real good answer for them except things are done differently in other places.

As a side, anyone know the history behind flag retirement?

During Scoutmaster fundamentals training the leaders did a flag retirement, one little twist is that they removed the grommets from the flag and after the burning, the grommets where presented to someone who had gone above and beyound in Scouting. It is considered a very special gift!

Red Feather

Do you think it is wrong to cut the flag up 1st? I have seen both types and if done propely they are both good ways, should you not have explained that to the scouts. It sounds like you think that way is incorrect and gave that impression to the scouts!

• 3 months later...

At Cub Scout day camp this year we burned flags. We first would cut the grommets off. Then we would cut each stripe and put in the fire while the lady in charge said what each stipe meant. At the end, we draped the blue union over in one piece to represent the states being united as one. We stood at attetion until the blue was completely gone.

Benny:

Yaworski is correct, retire the flag with dignity, preferably by fire, and the rest is pomp no matter what anyone else tells you. Pretty good article on this at http://members.aol.com/StanDCmr/flagret.html, titled "Flag Retirement Ceremonies, Which is Really the Correct Way?"

Do note that a flag retired by fire is permanent, as opposed to a burial for instance. Regarding grommets, it has been suggested that the flag be retired by fire until it is no longer recognizable as a former flag. The grommets in a fire pit is the only recognizable portion, thus, most people remove them.

I prefer to remove the grommets and put one each on a pre-prepared thong with red, white and blue beads and present them as a temporary recognition to someone who was a big help during the event when the retirement was conducted. In many circles this is a high honor.

Also consider stopping by Walgreens and picking up their left over film canisters (no charge) for those who collect ashes from flag retirements. You may want to ask before your flag is retired if any in the audience have ashes from previous ceremonies to add to the fire.

For ideas for flag retirement ceremonies, visit any Internet search engine (www.altavista.com) and type flag retirement (with the quote marks) in the search phrase window.

Good luck with your ceremony.