I'm getting ready to take my den to Webelos Woods Days. The district sent a registration form to each Webelos in the district. I also sent home registration forms and notes explaining the required paperwork, mentioned it at a couple of den meetings, and sent out a couple of emails. It wasn't much paperwork - a simple registration form (name and address), medical forms for all participants, insurance cards, and youth protection cards for adults.

When it was time to gather the paperwork up, only 1 family out of 9 actually had everything they were supposed to have. So now I've spent my entire morning on the phone and sending email, trying to gather paperwork so I can register the boys.

This is pretty irritating, and I know that next time we go anywhere I'll probably have a similar experience.

What approaches have worked well for y'all when it comes to this?

Sad to say, but this is par for the course, whether a scouting activity, planning a wedding, or a class reunion (all of which I'm involved in right now). People either don't know, or don't care what "RSVP" means. Just tell them point blank.."this is what I need by this date, or your little darling is not going and you lose your money". Then stick to your guns.

do yourself a favor.

as soon as you get the med forms and proof of youth protection training, keep copies for the den.

for youth protection training, if you think they've done it and just aren't providing the certificates then do a search for their name, or email address on the training validation at myscouting. caution if you fill in everything you know about them to do a search of their training, it won't find them, as the search feature seems to only work on 1 or 2 fields, too many fields and it returns nothing.

You need a parent volunteer to take this over for you.

Say that the multiple requests and tracking down paperwork is taking you away from the boy's program.

Once the volunteer does it once they will communicate to the other parents what a pain they have been and what a lot work it has been to collect all the paperwork.

or, reward the boys who have it in on time. Big attention getting award.

-- my experience

I agree. A good place to recruit someone to do this task is from among those who failed to provide the proper paperwork.

One of my theories is that Scouting isn't just a program for youth. It functions to improve the character and leadership skills of adults, too!

We say "show up with the paperwork or you can't go". We usually have blank copies of the forms with us when the kids get dropped off. You've got to push the problem back onto the parents since they are the ones who have to do the work.

I considered keeping copies, and that may be the easiest in the long run. But then it's more for me to manage - my desk is messy enough as it is, and then I'd have to check to see if their forms are out of date and such. Also, I feel uncomfortable keeping personal (like SSN) and medical information on other people, particularly the adults.

I've never been able to get the search thing on myscouting.org to work on any field other than email address. Not a big fan of that site.

Getting another parent to handle this is a good idea - even if things don't go more smoothly, at least it frees me up. Definitely something I can delegate.

I hadn't thought of rewarding the boys whose parents get the paperwork done on time. I like that too.

I have a question for you: Why do they need insurance cards and why do the adults need YP cards?

Assuming your council is doing this right, any adult and scout who paid the WWD fee, registered for the WWD, and have filled and completed med forms are covered by BSA insurance.

Adult parents do not have to have YP, the leaders do.

Could be the parents are not getting back to you because they are not going because of all the hoops and extra requirements they asked to go through.

Just saying.

Beyond that, we will hand out fliers, call everybody, e mail everybody, put it on our pack web page, put it on facebook, announce it at 3 or 4 den meetings, and I will repeatedly mention it at pack meetings...............And I swear, at least 3 parents will say:

"Well, nobody told me!" :)

Another ide for you:

Go out and buy a 3" 3 ring binder and then buy those clear paper protector sheets that have the 3 ring tab on the side.

Put all med forms in there and whenever the pack goes pack camping, you keep them next to the first aid station.

Hand them to the council camp registrars at check in when council/district camping.

Require new forms when parents recharter their scouts each year.

According to the medical form description, Part A and B are to be completed annually for participation in any Scouting event. We've interpreted that to mean that all our scouts need to have at least those parts on file with the pack. Scoutfish, Part A requires a copy of the participant's insurance card to be attached.

We've gone to a system that keeps medical forms collected over the summer for camps and add the rest of the scouts in September. The Cubmaster holds the binder of forms and keeps them confidential. We had an accident last year that convinced our pack leadership that requiring the forms really is important. And there are the other parts of the form to consider, for talent release, hold harmless clause, informed consent and authorized persons for transport.

As far as YPT, our committee chair holds the certificates on file as she also tracks leader training. If you do need to look someone up on Scout Net, my former DE gave me the helpful advice to do so in the morning before the Mountain Time Zone(aka Utah)wakes up. I agree, Scout Net does move much faster then though I don't know if it is why he said it did.

Keeping those bits of paper on file will mean that you only need to do registration forms and permission slips. It does help. I like the idea of rewarding boys and families who do it right the first time.

I really like the ideas to collect standard paperwork at the beginning of the year and just keep it all on file. Everyone is filling out paperwork for the start of the school year at that time anyway so a little more won't hurt.

I'm considering doing Woodbadge this spring; maybe streamlining the registration process could be one of my ticket items.

The initial problem, as you describe it, is collecting even the basic registration information in the first place. That strikes me as similar to the problem in the campout sign-up cut-off thread.

Leaders in that position have to draw a line in the sand and hold it - no late registrations, all the info's got to be in on time, etc. Until you do, the people who don't realize how hard all the behind-the-scenes work is will continue to walk all over you. You're effectively letting them.

I know that's easier said than done, though. I'd hate to say "no, you can't come" to a kid because his parents screwed up the paperwork. One idea I've had is to impose a $10 or 15 Late Paperwork/Late Registration Surcharge. That'll get their attention, even if you never have to collect it - it will make it crystal clear that not following through does have consequences.(This message has been edited by shortridge)