Pack Competitions

I like to do a competition during pack meetings.

In December, I'll be doing sleigh races. Dens each make a "sleigh" from a cardboard box or whatever and decorate it. A rope goes in the front of the sleigh.

The competition is a relay race, with a boy in the sleigh pulled around the race course by the rest of the den and then den members trade places until everyone has been in the sleigh.

That's lots of fun. We usually do 2-3 races until interest starts to wain.

Another we do in ther spring before our campout is setting up tents. Each den gets a self supporting tent in a bag, and the dens compete to set up the tent (no rainfly, get all the dens in the tent and give their den cheer.

A second race competes in disassembling the tent and putting it back in the bag.

What kind of pack activities do you do?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a traveling trophey called the Gilwell Staff. This is a forked walking stick. Pulled the name from a award that was given out to the best troop at summer camp.

Each pack meeting a give each den leader a score card that I randemly write up. Points for attendance, percentage of attedance, uniform, scout trivia, Boys Life trivia, something I might have talked about at our last committee meeting. I try to gear it so no matter how big the den is, how experianced the leader is, they all have a even chance. Each den should do a quick huddle and answer the best that they can. If they win for the month, they can add something to the staff.