Best Day For Pack/Den Meetings

In our district..

For Boy Scouts, seems the most popular day in our district is Thursday. I'd say about 85% to 90% of our units meet then.. Then it a sprinkling for other days.. It is very hard to visit other troops, if your troop also meets on Thursday.

Cub Scout Den meetings are All over the place, but for Pack meetings the two most popular are Thursday or Saturday..

Have no reason why.. But, for our district I know Mondays may be difficult for some units, as the roundtable, District Committee meeting & other district stuff (except camporees) like award dinners etc.. All meet on Monday.

We meet on Mondays. Don't know why it's Mondays, it's been that way since before I was a member or scouter.

Kinda sucks in a way because Monday being the first day back to school after the weekend off ....the scouts are facing a new week of schoolwork and home work. Kinda cool as it's that fun

break from just going back to school after having the wekend off.

I kinda wish our meetings were on Fridays instead of Mondays, that way homework and bedtime aren't a major factor on den or pack meetinmgs.

But the down side is that some scouts and alot of parents are checked out of doing anything since it is now the weekend.

One nice thing about our meetings is that every pack in the immediate are meets on a different night:

Pack 235 (us) Monday

Pack 234 Tuesday

Pack 270 Weds

Pack 777 Thurs

So for the greater convienece of all scouts and their families, people can choose a night that best allows them to attend meetings and keep their boys in scouts.

Den, pack and troop meetings in my town were always on Mondays. District roundtable/OA chapter meetings were Tuesdays.

As a parent, I like Mondays because it leaves you with a full standard week plus the weekend to take care of home projects and practice, etc., in between - I know it's strictly a psychological thing, but it works!

Our district Boy Scout and Cub Scout Roundtables are on the second Thursday of the month, and District Committee meetings on the first Thursday of the month. So units meeting on Thursday are somewhat handicapped in attending those meetings --- or perhaps suppose that they have good excuses for not attending.

My pack meets on Monday by happenstance. Three years ago they pack was down to one boy, and the Cubmaster was free on a Monday for a recruiting night --- that became the meeting night for the pack.

Personally, I don't like Mondays for a pack meeting night. When I'm recruiting in schools, it means I wind up doing school recruiting with a weekend before the recruiting night, which reduces the impact of my efforts.

This year I scheduled our recruiting night and 1st pack meeting of the school year for a Wednesday, which made my school recruiting more effective. The rest of the year it's Mondays though.

Tuesday or Wednesday would be better though --- with Wednesday BEST in my opinion.

Our Pack meets on Monday nights. This was like this from way back when, so It's stuck. Monday seems to work for us, with the exception of some soccer and football coaches wanting to practice on Monday Night. But we only have to deal with that thru the middle of November.Tuesdays are usually athletic practice days, Wednesday is church/youth activities. Thursday would probably be a good day except when RT comes up. And Friday, well Friday is just Friday. That usually means date night for me at least. Gotta keep Mrs. OTN happy after being gone the other 4 nights of the week. :)

District RT is the 2nd Thursday of the month.

Our Troop actually meets on Sunday afternoon. When the Troop was formed, Sunday was the only day all of the boys could actually get together, due to band,athletics and other extracurricular activities.

The scheduling of Pack and den meetings is a very individual thing. There are as many reasons for having meetings on a specific day, and a specific time, as there are BSA units.

Our Troop's weekly meetings are on Thursday evening from 7-9PM. This is strictly because of a long standing tradition.

Pack meetings are usually (again tradition) on Wednesday evenings from 7-8:30, with cleanup til 9pm. We schedule special Pack meetings, like Pinewood Derby, which can run later into the evening, for Friday evening. That way the kids do not have to get up for school the next day. Pack meetings that include dinner (B&G, and Christmas) we schedule for Saturday evening, after the 5PM mass. This gives us time during the day to prepare.

Our den meetings are run when/where the den leaders find it the most convenient for them, and their den families. This is generally in the evening, on most nights. One den particularly liked holding their den meetings on Wednesday evenings because they felt it was easier for their boys to remember the Pack meetings (held on one of those Wednesdays) I held my Tiger den meetings on Saturday mornings from 9-10AM. This got us in before the CCD traffic, and usually out in time to make the boys sports games. It also made it easy to move our meetings outside if we wanted. Another den liked Monday evenings because that was the day the den leader got home from work early. They met in the leaders home so holidays did not bother them. The leaders would sometimes take the holiday off work and do a den outing that day.

Our regular meetings (Pack and den) are scheduled in May, and put on the Parish calendar for the upcoming school year of August-June. Sometimes dates have to be shuffled because of conflicts with other parish/school organizations, or activities.(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

SP,

Monday can and does present challenges as well. In my other post about Sharing space with another unit, this was actually a product of the calender. Next monday is a school holiday, and the following is Halloween. We don't meet on school holiday nights, and we didn't want the boys to miss some ToT time on Halloween. Also, our CO's room schedule is jam packed every night of the week. It's hard for us to schedule committee and leader meetings at times. What we lose in the Monday's, we try and add an extra event or two in the month that are purely voluntary. But we always give the dens the option to make it a den activity, even if only 1 or 2 show up. Usually, these are things going on in the community or special events that everybody can go to. As I told my Tiger leader the other night, this city is our playground. We can always find activities for the boys to do! Just got to know where to look.

We do our Den meetings Wednesday evening 7-8 and we do our pack meetings on Wednesday eveing 7-8.

Wednesdays can get a bit busy since it is my wife's early work day so we are both up and out the door by 5:30am. then after school we have homework, guitar lessons and football practice. then straigt after football practice is scouts. dinner is usually around 9pm on wednesdays. at least until football season is over.

the rest of the week is wide open. I don't know why everything has to be on wednesdays.

We have pack and den meetings on Wednesdays. The schools around here primarily schedule their events on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Mondays and Fridays get looped into too many 3-day weekends plus people seem to not want to fill the whole days schedule with school/work and scouts at the beginning and end of the week.

Wow. I knew units could use any night of the week, but I thought there was a fairly common standard.

Monday - Troop meetings (fairly common)

Tuesday - Pack meetings (not as strong of a standard)

In our district, the vast majority of units meet on those nights.

We encourage our dens to use the same week night as the pack meetings to free up other week nights of the week for other activities.