Uniforming: Rules without consequences?

I am putting this in the CS forum because I want CS-specific replies.

We talk to the boys about the uniform and relate it to sports, which everyone understands. Teams have uniforms, we're a team, be proud of it, etc. They get that.

They also know that if you're on a sports team and you show up without your jersey, you don't play. That's just a given. But at any given scout meeting, there's usually a boy or two who for whatever reason isn't wearing the uniform that he has.

But, if you show up without your CS uniform, you...???

What are the practices out there?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do uniform inspections and awards. Den leaders do an inspection at each meeting, usually starting in October so the new boys have a chance to get uniforms. Proper uniforming is one thing the leader uses in determining who is denner for the month. We also hand out patch segments at the pack meeting for the best uniformed boy in each den. By November we have almost 100 percent uniforming. Occasionally a boy shows up without a uniform, but things happen. If it became an ongoing issue I'd talk with the boy and his parents. We also issue a reminder in our monthly newsletter that boys & leaders are expected to wear uniforms.

One thing at the cub level, is that uniforming is as much the parent's responsibility as it is the boys. The boy can be all gung-ho about uniforming, but it does no good if parents don't buy the uniform or give him time before meetings to put it on. Keep your leaders uniformed, get your parents on board, and keep the cubs excited and it all just falls into place with uniforming. One thing we started doing a couple years ago that helped was we give each boy a brag vest when he joins the pack, so he instantly has a uniform-like piece to wear. We make our own vests from felt so they only cost the pack $1 each. That one little bit of clothing has done more to get new boys excited about uniforming than anything else we have done.

The youth I serve are poor.....

We provide them a pack tshirt when they signd up.....gennerally they are very proud of it and wear it.

While I like seeing them in a scout uniform, the uniform is not required. I will not hold uniform inspections because not all of my boys can afford them. Our uniform closet is completely empty and I am completely tapped out on my scout spending money.....so the boys will just do with out.

interestingly the Pack dynamic is changing with the recent transfers. More middle class families are joining.

BasementDweller, Have you tried asking any of the troops you send Webelos to for old uniforms? Our pack is split down the middle between low-income and middle-income, so we have the same issue. It's the main reason we started doing the vests, so all the boys could at least have something. The district used to have a uniform closet, but it's been tapped out. We've found that troop parents sometimes will donate their boys' old cub uniforms to the pack if we just ask. We don't require uniform pants, belts or hats for this reason.

Base,

Have you contacted secodn hand stores liek Good Will, Salvation Army, etc? I know in my neck fo the woods, you cannot find anything scouting related at any of the second hand stores, except maybe the consignment shop, because our SCOUTREACH guy has contacted each store, told him the situation, and gets calls form them as they get stuff.

Ebay is a great source for cheap uniform parts. I have a ton of the stuff. Just make sure you don't have boys bidding against each other. Also have a top limit for bidding. Don't worry, they'll be more down the road and eventually you'll get them for the max price you set. I generally go $10 for shirts and $15 for pants and still find them. When one can get a whole uniform for the price of shirt alone, the boys will go after it.

Stosh

We maintain a cub closet that is regularly stocked with donations as scouts grow up. Between that and regular retail purchases, all our scouts have uniforms. So a lack of uniforms is not the issue.

The issue is that Billy and Johnny both have uniforms, because they wear them to a meeting.

At the next meeting Billy does not have his uniform on because "It's dirty." Mom says, "sorry we didn't get around to doing laundry."

At the following meeting Billy does not have his uniform on because "I can't find it." Mom says, "yes, Billy's room is a real mess."

At the following meeting Billy does not have his uniform on because "I forgot." Mom says, "sorry we were running late."

Now at this point, Johnny's mom is wondering why she went to the scout shop and plunked down $100 on a uniform if you can just be part of things without one.

We do have uniform inspections, with ample advance notice, where we award "red vest" patches. But at what point do you issue a consequence that is more than just the lack of a reward?

Again, back to the sports scenario. Billy shows up without his jersey, he doesn't play. Period.

What would you all do?

I believe in uniforming, but it is only one of the methods of scouting and not the be-all, end-all. Personally I'd feel uncomfortable and unkind sending home a boy because he wasn't in uniform, especially since in your example the fault seems to primarily lay with mom and not Billy. As I said before, I'd have a long conversation with mom. The extent of punishment in our pack is that boys that don't wear uniforms can't participate in bearing a flag during the pack's flag ceremony and they won't be chosen as Denner.

You could also resort to outright bribery, with prizes such as small candies and such for boys who show up to meetings in uniform. No uniforms on a sports field means no one knows who is on who's team. No uniforms at a den meeting just means that the boys are wearing different clothing. It's not quite the same thing.

Nothing,

You could have a pocket full of hershey kisses or peppermints and reward each boy for wearing the uniform.

I am on the call list for all of the thrift stores in town. I have friends who garage sale and my mother who does very well, but no luck recently.

I did buy a lot on ebay....I think I got 15 shirts for $100.

Rules without consequences... Scout Meetings are all about consequences, just not penalties....

Example: Complete uniform = chocolate treat, incomplete uniform or not uniform earns hard candy (i.e. Most like chocolate better).

#1 Adult leaders = Uniformed (hard to play the game if you don't know who is playing).

I always leveraged youth that are Uniformed for Ceremonies, greeters, Lead Scouts for Games, Snacks, etc., but treat all Scouts respectfully. The preference to pick a uniformed Scout for fun tasks or "in-front" opportunities is not lost on everyone. That was the only consequence in Cub Scouts.

The only Cub uniform inspections I ever did in front of people was the Cub Master (who knows it's coming and purposely is sloppy & has danglies on wrong) as a game/instruction tool.

Leave it to the dens for Cubs to inspect Den members for rank or electives.

With Boy Scouts I've used as Tie-breakers or decide dead-even Patrol level competitions that everyone knows can come up. Also, the Scouts know a uniformed Scout is likely to get to do something before a nonuniform Scout (snack, team captain, choose sides, etc...)

83 you understand that the cub uniform is not actual required?????

to follow your sports example.....My daughter is in cheerleading, their Program fee includes a uniform and it is $250.

Son plays socceer, it is $115 it includes a shirt.

So does your pack have a program fee that includes the cost of a uniform???

Send a few kids home who didn't wear a uniform and let me know how that works out for you????(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I guess we are already doing occasional rewards for proper uniforming. If you have your uniform on for the announced inspection, you earn the patch. You're right that a consequence doesn't have to be a punishment, just the lack of a reward.

Again, back to the sports scenario. Billy shows up without his jersey, he doesn't play. Period.

At da elementary school level?? I hope not.

I'd expect most coaches for kids that age would bring a spare, just have the lads swap shirts with whoever was on the bench at da time, or work it out with da ref and opposing coach.

There are lots of things about da cub program that take effort to make run really well. If this is da biggest thing yeh have to worry about, count your blessings and sit back and enjoy the energy and enthusiasm of the boys, whether they're in blue or not.

At this age, this stuff is a measure of da parent's commitment, not a choice by the boy. That's not a fight yeh win by "consequences", it's a fight yeh win by providin' a great program that increases parent investment and enthusiasm.

Beavah(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Our system rewards uniform wear, but doesn't punish if the uniform is missing. At pack meetings, you get one door prize ticket for being at the meeting, one for wearing shirt w/neckerchier and an extra ticket for Scout pants. The more tickets you get, the more likely you are to win a prize.

At den meetings I've given beads for uniform wear. Once you've earned "x" blue or yellow beads you earn a gold bead.

"X" gold beads win you a treat.

One way to help boys wear their uniform is to give them a place to keep it. Have your dens make "Scout Buckets" where the Scout can keep all his Scouting gear (shirt, neckerchief, book, etc).

http://thetrainerscorner.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/cub-scout-buckets/