Dual Role Question

Offically, except for the COR, a person can only be registered in one position. (The COR can be the CC or a committee member also)

Unoffically they can hold as many positions as they want.

There are units out there that even though there are people registered in all the positions the Unit Leader does everything

When the CC was doing the re-charter, she did tell me that on paper, officially, they can only hold one office. However, in practice, it is very common for people to have more than one. In my pack alone, the cubmaster, the cc, the treasurer, and the COR are all den leaders as well. Thankfully, our dens work with the co-leader concept, so they spread the work among two people. But still...

If you don't have physical bodies to serve in one role or the other, double up within reason.

If you can't find another parent willing to step up, politely remind those who don't volunteer that if it's worth investing your time in their son, certainly it is worth a few hours of their time in return... Scouting leaders aren't in it to be uniformed babysitters. And if you're wearing too many hats, you'll wind up missing out on time with your son that can't be replaced. I see that weekly with some leaders who are more interested in being Man Scouts than dads...(This message has been edited by eolesen)

Well, although it is correct that you can only be registered in one position within a unit....You do not have to register yourself for everything you do. Also, everything in your pack does not have to be registered.

In the real world, members have 2, 3 and sometimes 4 hats on their heads.

In our pack, the PWD chair is not a position that we have registerd at council. Nor is popcorn kernal, public realtions chair, camping chair, ceremonies chair, GTA chair, or beach chair.,

You have to have Adult leaders , CC , treasurer, and COR registered.

Our PWD is also a DL, our camping chair is a dl. Our advancement and awards chair was also a DL.

They were registered as DL's and not the other positions since you do not have to have a PWD chair - no matter how great an idea it is.

So for your question of:

"Can a den leader also serve on the Pack Committee as the Outings Chair?"

Yes, they can serve as many positions as they are capable before their heads explode! They just can't register but one.

If you sign on as outings chair, the really cleaver thing to do is ask one of your parents "I don't think I can make the next committee meeting, would you mind going and taking notes for me? You can breif the folks planning outings when we meet for coffee next week at ..."

This works well if you do have parents who can spare the time, but are afraid of taking that "leadership risk." It doesn't work so well if you have parents that are pulling double shifts just to make ends meet.

• 4 weeks later...

"There's what is said...and then there's what is done."

I'm the CM, but I'm also my son's DL. I was his Tiger DL when we lost our CM, and the Comm asked me to fill in. I liked it, so I've kept doing both (my Den are Bears, now).

In theory, there *should* be an "Events Chair", but ... since I plan the Pack meetings, aaaaannnnnd the Events generally are done on Pack meeting NIGHTS, it just sort of make sense that I head up getting the Events planned.

Now, Pack meetings I usually plan alone, and just delegate skits, Guesstimation Station, etc... But Events I have to recruit help.