Parade Ideas

So, we have a parade coming up. Any ideas on what we can do, other then walk in uniform?

I the past, we had a trailer and handed out candy. But since no one knew what we were doing, the trailer looked slapped together (a teepee tied up with duct tape), all the candy was thrown out on mass and gone by the first three blocks, and near the end of the parade all the cubs were hunkered on the wagon, not waving. How can they be tired on a simple 1 1/2 mile parade, walking slow?

This year I want to put my foot down: No float unless someone knows what they're doing to make one. No candy, either (big money suck for little gain). If the route is too long, have a switch/out at the halfway point rather then have cubs drop out before the end (the end of the parade is the festival, where the big crowd is).

Any other parade ideas for a novice parader?

Our pack walks in a parade every year. We don't do a float, not sure why, we just have the boys come in their uniform and bring a bag or two of candy with them. Last year we also told them to bring their Halloween buckets. The adults walking with the boys kept most of the candy and refilled the boys buckets as we walked, that way we didn't have the problem of them handing all of the candy out in the first block.

I'm a huge parade fan, and my daughter loves them, too. I've noticed many groups have dropped candy. Whether because of expense or (as I've heard) fear of kids getting trampled in the mad rush for the Dum-Dums and Tootsie Rolls, I don't know. I think it's kind of sad. Every kid should go home from a parade with a few pieces of candy. But definitely keep candy in the parents' hands as CubMom suggests.

"How can they be tired on a simple 1 1/2 mile parade, walking slow?"

I'll bet you dollars to donuts they're not tired. They're bored. To a kid that age, that's a really long way to ... just ... walk. Throwing candy - singing songs - marching in formation - carrying & waving small flags - handing out flyers promoting the CO - taking turns holding the pack banner - etc. Lots of things you can do to keep it interesting.

You do have a banner, don't you? Not just a flag? The flag often can't be seen unless it's windy. Get some crafty parents to help make a horizontal banner that can either be carried or mounted on a float. Make loops on the top and bottom and slide some PVC pipe through it (with the bottom pipe lightly weighted and capped). Helps promote pack identity and also keeps everyone together. ("You have to be able to see the banner at all times.")

If you're going to do something like a tipi, decorate it with Cub symbols and the pack number. Have a fake electric campfire out in front. Jazz it up a bit.

Is there a theme to the parade?

P.S. If you have any pull with the organizers, get as close as you can in the lineup to the high school marching band. That'll keep them pepped up.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

In Tampa we have a LOT of parades --I mean 100,000+ people watching you parades. Boy Scouts usually get to march in on of the first units. It is a blast. I suggest:

1- Banner is great.

2- Have more than one flag. State, Troop or Pack (great advertising), even a City or historic one. Swap off as it is hard work. A pole holder that hangs off a strap or belt can be handy. I don't know where to get one; I have one from 1960.

3-Avoid Hard Candy -it breaks when it hits concrete. We throw beads but people get pretty crazy. Mix up what you throw, some soft candy, mini-footballs, frisbees, T-shirts. Any promotional items you can get donated.

4-Teach the boys to ration their stuff. I use to tell mine every three steps throw one thing.

5-Have some nice things you can walk up and hand to little kids that are not getting any stuff.

6-Have someone tote a wagon (with signage on sides) to haul water and extra stuff. Bring a first aid kit.

7-Have lots of extra adults. Boys tend to string out.

Naturally make sure everyone is looking sharp in their uniforms. Years ago I did with my Wolf and Bear and we ran out of beads 2/3rds of the way through. Some 3 year old started crying and my Wolf ran up and gave her his little flag he was waving. Crowd applauded. While naturally I was proud it was also GREAT scout advertising.

A pole holder that hangs off a strap or belt can be handy. I don't know where to get one; I have one from 1960.

Google "flag pole carrying belt" or "flag pole harness." But check the sizing and adjustability - what fits a Boy Scout or adult won't work for a Cub.

I sure do miss the "Krewe of Kubs" parade that consisted of I don't know how many dens form all over the council doing a Mardi Gras parade with the Cubs throwing beads, doubloons, cups, and other MG throws. I was in that parade, and watched it up until HS, when I marched with the JROTC unit in another parade that was the same day.

Yes the walking can get boring. Sing songs, had out stuff if permitted, rotate, heck try marching. I know, I know, but the challenge of keeping in step and aligned may be somethign the kids would like to do.

** Low Banner in front: "CUB SCOUT PACK 123 GOSHEN UM CHURCH"

**Cubs in Cardboard box PWD cars, zooming around two big "pylons" ie., CM and DL dressed in orange triangle/teepees, walking some distance apart..

** Banner in back, bringing up the rear of the group, held high, on poles: "CUBS FUN TO THE FINISH"

** Pass out small cards to parents with kids, phone numbers for Cub Scouting, Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting.

No candy... Hand out Popcorn (one way to get rid of it), in paper bags, with contact info on the bag.

The SM and I were *just* talking about this yesterday; we agreed to try to come up with an idea.

Love, love, LOVE the "Fun To The Finish" idea with the cars! I copied, pasted, and emailed the idea to our CC and DL's!

Thank you, thank you! :0)

**Boombox with theme from "CARS" playing.

**Cub leaders/Cubs, waving checkered, green, red flags.

** Helmets, goggles (not googles), oil cans, loose spare steering wheels, extra tires...

** Anyone know a REAL race car owner? Contact the local SCCA and invite them along.... Car on a trailer, or being pushed along, or revving the engine...however...

** That's Sports Car Club of America. Usually very Scout friendly.