One CC extreme to the other...

Just FYI for the folks who held my virtual hand last spring when our Pack was having Committee Convulsions...

We did in fact get a CC from another Pack; her son has bridged, and she turned over her duties in that Pack to some other parents, so she found herself able to serve over here.

We had our first Committee meeting last night; I was laughing inwardly part of the time, because it's quite a shock moving from an "anything goes/gee we dunno" attitude to this new gal telling them, "No THIS is how it will be done".

For example, the recent thread about the Family Talent Survey? I am absolutely the type of person who would "tweak" the form more to my liking, and distribute that.

Oh, no. Not with the new regime. "THIS is the BSA standard. THIS is what will be distributed."

OKAY THEN! It's funny to me because I know this gal rubs some people the wrong way, but BY GOLLY she GETS STUFF DONE!

I have been told in no uncertain terms that I am to concentrate on my Cubmaster duties, make Pack meetings as fun as possible, help the DL's make Den meetings as fun (and productive with regard to advancements) as possible...

...and that's it.

I am not to worry my pretty head about Popcorn, the checking account balance, re-charter costs or Awards budgets.

I am not to worry about getting the Flyers to the schools; I just need to show up to School Scout Night ready to get the boys enthused about joining Cub Scouts.

I am not to worry about Training (exept keeping my own current); a Certified Trainer is coming over from that other Pack, too.

I am not to worry about staffing, paperwork, or Tracking. My focus is to TOTALLY be on making sure the CUB SCOUTS THEMSELVES have fun, and are successful in their progress.

A lot of promises, there...it's a lot different than what I'm used to. It sounds fabulous; we'll see how it all pans out...

Ye-a-a-ah. She has had her ...challenges... in that arena, before.

HOWEVER, she is a dynamo who, if you waffle on something, she'll just find someone else to do it, 4.5 minutes ago, no hard feelings. The Pack she was with for the last 5 years grew (with her as CC) 60%, and has continued to bridge more boys to Troop, and recruit more new Cubs each year, with better retention, than any Pack in the area.

Now, that's NOT due to ONE person (not by any stretch of the imagination), but it DOES show that the way they do things attracts people (including great leaders) and keeps them there, keeps them involved, and feeds the Troops.

And she knows she sometimes irks people a little; the UC and the DE have both advised her to soften her approach. She's working on it. :0)

So I have my fingers crossed. I mean, our poor little floundering Pack wasn't going to survive, anyway. I would have had to find a new Pack for my son; ANY improvement will be a vast step forward.

Ann

I am happy you now have a CC who can "get things done", however she has to also remember that a committee works by consensus, it is not a dictatorship. I have seen individuals in other units who acted like a one man/woman show and it did some serious damage to the units. As long as your CC realizes she is part of a team things should go smoothly. However if she continues to be abrasive in dealing with the other pack leaders you could have a real problem on your hands, especially if some of those leaders decide to walk, it is a fine line indeed.

Good Luck.

Heh. We don't HAVE any other Pack leaders.

Due to circumstances and events* ... I'm it right now.

Her role is to recruit leaders either from the current parents (who were enthusiastic last year, but who would not help) or from (hopefully) new familes on our Scout Nights.

* The former CM was removed for bad behavior 18 months ago, only to be assigned as CC (when the other CC left the CO) by the Ghost Committee in all their (lack of) wisdom. He was then removed by the CO for further bad behavior.

* The only other DL has a grandson in the program who has special needs, and whom no one can stand. The parents of the 2 other kids who would be in his Den said, "No way." However, neither of those 2 parents will (or can--1 of them is the bad CM, ironically enough) be that Den's leader. So the grandma is being moved to the Committee as the publicity/events coordinator, leaving us with NO other Den leaders.

Sink or swim, I guess. And if the person with the life-preserver also totes a megaphone, well ... y'know.

Glad to see you brought in the "hired gun" to help out!

At least your new leaders won't know the difference from how things were, to how they are.

It does get better when people understand their roles, trust me! I went through my own pack ordeal in January when our CC resigned and the CM stepped down AND our pack lost 2 dens to another Pack. I certainly felt like Edward Smith standing on the bow of the Titanic when our COR asked me to take over as CM. After he recruited a CC, he sat us both down and told us our roles. I would deal with the Program side and the CC would deal with the Business side of the Pack.

Today, I'm not worried about our Join Scouting Night in a week. My CC is dealing with the paperwork and I'm debating on what action song I'm going to do for the boys. (So many to choose from!)

You have a great attitude and the right demeanor for CM, channel that energy towards the boys and don't sweat the small stuff.

New Year, New Attitude!

Good Luck

I've seen way too many packs where adults assume that the title "Cubmaster" means that it is a one-man/woman show, and that they run the pack. In the cases I've seen, that usually leads to trouble when either the Cubmaster burns out or wishes to move on (to Scouts, for example, with their son). Our "feeder pack" is going through such a transition right now.

I think it would be refreshing that a strong CC step forward and strive to run things the right way, and take care of the administrative tasks associated with a pack, freeing the Cubmaster to concentrate on things related to program.

On the other hand, I can see your point that an overbearing CC might cause issues, stepping on toes in the process. I think there's a balance in there. But the real problem (the way I see it) isn't that the CC wants to own the administrative and organizational issues, it's just their approach, right?

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. I don't think this gal has a control issue, but she did describe herself as kind of a "balls-to-the-wall" kind of worker.

Her self-described goal is to make sure that EVERY adult who has a kid in the Pack has SOME duty, even if it's addressing envelopes. She keeps repeating, "You were left to do it all, which isn't your job. You're the FUN GAL! I'm the bad cop. You're not on your own, anymore."

One of my FAVE new Tiger families from last year, the mom is going to be the Wolf Den leader and I'm SO excited! She was at the Committee meeting, and heard the new CC's vision. They are a great family, and will be a good ambassador for what NEEDS to happen.

I think EGBOK. :0)