It stinks being a leaders son

I wouldn't do the special recognition. The leaders son frequently advances at a good clip because of good attendance. Sometimes they are not the best behaved boys around their parents (imagine that!). A lot of the other kids suspect that the leader's kids get preferential treatment anyway so I wouldn't reinforce it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I find that the leaders sons often get the most out of the program because their family is more plugged into the program more than normal. Yes, sometimes this means that they have to step up more than others do, but in the end, you reap what you sow. I think the benefits warrant the extra work.

Having said that, don't let the other parents/leaders run over you, too.

Haven't seen this thread in a while.....

Well I live in a 1300 sq ft house and it is full. No room for any more camping gear. I have been buying sleeping bags and hanging on to them. I have a trailer I bought off craiglist and have put together a decent camp kitchen from garage sales. I can feed 100 or so pretty easily. I have a scouter friend who is a trash collector who saves camping gear for me as he finds it. some of it is ok other stuff truly is he junk.

The idea of stopping at my house to set the tents up is a fantastic one. We will institute it....it would probably save me an hour Sunday afternoons. That just leaves tear down and rolling which is another hour. Well it will make my day much shorter.

The canoe trip was a blast.....Clean up of the lunch coolers was 5 minutes.... November is backpacking, and October is cabin to help with another districts halloween event. This is the cub camping weekend......it is even in another council. Most of the boys in the troop attended it as cubs and were very excited to help out. sitting here smiling.

A month or so ago we talked about it.....I pointed out the benefits, of the best gear, most activities, advancing faster, and more friends in scouting. Heck the DE, camp rangers, round table staff and most of the active Districts SM's have met my son and he gets called by name at camps and events...... He likes knowing the camp rangers, the park naturalist...... He is much further ahead at his age than I was..

Yeah, he has been known to come down with a case of bigshot-itis from time to time....

That ain't no lie. This is especially true of my oldest at the local camp. Since he's been with me at times to help prepare for stuff, i.e. council family camp, CSDC, etc, he knows the place better than some adults do. Sometimes I think he beleives he owns camps.

Plowboy,

I think this is very much true. Since I spend an awful lot of time pouring over Cub Scout stuff, very often I'll find something during prep, and say, "Hey! You can do this right now!"

Now, a gung-ho parent, if they familiarized themselves with their kid's Handbook, would realize that they can work a lot of stuff in just in regular every-day life. But most of them don't.

So if my kid happens to benefit from extra instruction time and/or bling as a side-effect, then so be it!

Yep, I feel sorry for my daughter (who still gets sucked into venturing responsibilities even though she's an ex officer) ... every now and then for half a second, but ...

Hunkering down on the deck of a sailboat in the Carribean while your dad names stars (at your request) until you fall asleep ... tell me, who does that the summer before entering college?