Has anyone done a Video Game Night? We are thinking of doing one and give them an opportunity to earn the Video Game Belt Loop and Pin.

Has anyone gotten a company (Best Buy, Family Video, Hastings, etc) to let you borrow consoles and games, or worked out something different?

Interested to hear anything you might have done. We are thinking abour running it from 6pm to midnight or something like that.

Had a PLC plan one for a troop as an overnight that worked out really well.

The Scouts provided the consoles and games. We established rules about the games and the SPL and ASPL checked the games as the Scouts arrived to make sure they were OK. (No swearing, nothing rated "Mature", etc) The consoles and games were inventoried as they came in to make sure there no mix-ups at the end.

There was pizza, a video game tourney, and lots of free time to just play the games. The Scouts loved it, the PLC felt successful in planning the event. nothing was lost or broken - it worked for everybody.

Traditional Scouting? No. Fun, exciting, empowering? Yes. Opportunities to model values and character? Sure. As fun as it was - and the Scouts talked about this one for a LOONG time - we never did it again.

The Scouts "tested" the idea that they could choose and plan almost anything they wanted with this and an odd trip. We did both, meaning the PLC planned, the committee resourced, and the troop executed. After that the ideas seemed to be outdoors and adventure oriented all on their own.

We did it as a den activity in the bear year. It was over Christmas break but still had a high attendance.

Boys brought their hand held items, but the attraction seemed to be the systems host family had.

Family with an home theater hosted. Boys were young enough to not push the issue (I said only E games) and hosting family willing to monitor level of the games.

Bear dad did a good job talking with the boys on the talking points of the belt loop, and really was able to contribute his time and interests to scouting when he hadn't much to that point.

We did not sleep over. 3 hours of this is enough.

-- AK

this is what the boys want......whether the adults like it or not.

At the Pinewood derby we set up Two Wii systems with Mario cart and run a Mario Kart derby with our Pinewood derby.

You did not mention whether it was a Den Activity or a Pack activity. I would try to limit it to a Den activity....more guys playin less guys watching.

Not the same, but my Troop's PLC has done this 2 years running.

Committee and me set the ground rules, no first person shooters,

no beach bouncing volleyball, etc. Lights out at midnight. Pizza for dinner. Out door actvities during the day and advancement stuff for the scouts that didn't want to play video games (yes we have some of those!).

Scouts brought their own monitors from home, and they swapped off games now and then.

It went well, better than I expected, really.

The boys in our troop have a "game night" several times a year. Some of the boys play video games while others may play cards or board games. Everyone brings snacks. Generally they are all-nighters.

Had some advice from a wise old veteran Scoutmaster when we started the troop. He suggested once a month or so having a function for the troop which was strictly social in nature. No uniforms, no Scout skills, etc. Just get together as friends and enjoy each others company. In my mind, this was great advice. It reinforces to the boys that Scouts can be normal kids, too. Video games are not evil, but should be enjoyed in moderation. Everything in its own due time.

"I did a video game night for a Scout troop circa 2006 or so. A lot of new boys came.

None ever came back."

Gee, SP - sounds like quite the missed opportunity there. What could have been done differently to create a more positive outcome?

Here in my neck of the woods, we have a store that just does video game playing. Our CC spoke with the owner and she arranged for free classes so our scouts could come into her shop, review the belt loop requirements, and then play a new (age appropriate) game on her fancy set-ups. It was a great event. If anyone is in North Jersey, they should look them up. www.powerplaygaming.net

I love the idea of doing some Mario Kart during the PWD too! I might steal that idea for our Pack. We are always trying to figure out a way to keep scouts not racing occupied.

Hello Kelcema,

The video game night was designed as a recruiting night, although it was on a regular troop meeting night. The Scouts and the new boys had a good time, but the new boys had no discernible interest in a regular Scout program.

When I do recruiting in schools, I often ask boys if they are interested in going camping --- most raise their hands enthusiastically. When I ask how many are willing to do without video games for a weekend to go camping, a lot fewer hands go up.