So...there I was, enjoying my summer off, thinking my CM duties wouldn't be called into play until Back To School Night...

...when on Sunday I noticed a blurb in the church bulletin with MY name on it!

I had completely forgotten that we were doing a Camp IN in the church hall this Friday night. It's a way to teach families who are new to camping to pitch tents, etc... The plan is to clear the hall, only use flashlights, have an indoor "campfire", that kind of thing.

But as I said, I forgot all about it (Bad CM! BAD! No cookie!).

My brain is still on summer vacation; any brilliant ideas about what to include in the activities for the evening/morning?

Thanks in advance! (*sucks down some more iced coffee, hoping it will hit the bloodstream soon*)

How about one of those fake indoor campfires with newspaper logs and lights.

Do a talent show around it.

Can also make edible fires.

Maybe a compass game, you know directions/headings.

Balloon stomp is great indoors.

Puppet show with some sort of camping theme.

I would break out the cub-scout how-to books. While I no longer have cubs I still use it for parties and school ideas.

Ooooh. I like the compass game idea. I could take them outside and have different "maps" of the campus... (*mental gears grinding and screeching, here*)

Also anything with balloons and making loud noises is good for Cubs, yes. Thank you.

I swear I need a Cub Scout brain-jumpstart! :0)

Get ahold of your ACM(s) and DLs, create a "nature trail" with real or make'm up nature things (trees to ID, animal tracks, people tracks, bird songs, feathers), might be short notice but you could call your local nature center and see if they have any traveling shows (around here they are called "Scales and Tails").

Show a Cub/nature/camp friendly movie,,, Down and Dirty, or Second Hand Lions or Watership Down come to mind...

Astronomy Belt Loop, if skies are clear? Come to think of it, go thru the BL list and see if there aren't two or three you could do for the lucky folks that remember to come...

Don't you know that the "Cubs never sleep in the summer"?

It is a "Camp-in" so...

Fake campfire...check

Campfire skits/songs..... check

BBQ set-up outside for breakfast (adult use only for gas griddle & stoves, can be used for supper as well [dogs & burgers])... Check

OUTDOOR games (to assist tiring youth before bed)... check

Active indoor game (for inclimant weather)... check

reflective/glow in the dark items (for night search INDOORS with flashlights)... check

Buddy system to ensure campers do not wander OUTSIDE after dark alone... check

Thermos FULL of black coffee and bottle of asprin nearby for leaders... check

Backpack full of smiles and laughs to share with others that might need one now and again... check

ENJOY

My $0.02

Rick

As of lunchtime today, I'd heard from TWO families (out of 13). One yes, one no. I sent out a text and email asking if anyone was planning on being there.

Last week, I sent: a Text, and Email, and a Flyer (physically in the mail) to each parent, reminding them of this event. But no one let me know they were coming, so I pulled the event.

Sadness. :0( The one Cubbie who said he was coming--we're just going to go to a playground with his family. Ah, well. Next time.

As a Cubmaster myself, I've really enjoyed the summer off and I can realate to AnnLaurelB's "brain on vacation." Yes, my Pack does the summertime pack award events but those are easy to plan and only once a month. Now that my oldest son has left Boy Scouts, my summer scout activities are much quieter.

I sympathize with you for the poor response for your "Camp In". I have found that families in my Pack do not respond well to last minute announcements during the Summer. In fact, the turnouts for our summertime pack events have been about 25%. Family vacations tend to occur througout the summer.

The families all GOT a "Summer Activities" calendar back in May; the Camp In was on there. But maybe they have "summer brain", too.

I was going for the Summer Activity thing; we had a fishing day in June, but only two Cubs plus my son came; does that count, or is there a percentage that must be met?).

No one went to the water park day in early July, and now the late July (5 weekends) activity has been scrapped. *sigh*

We have a swim party (supposedly) on Aug 13. But school's back in by then, so maybe technically we're into the Scouting year?

(*shrug*) Maybe next summer.

When I was cubbing I really struggled with the Summer Activities (outside of Day Camp). In 6 den/patrols only had 1 that really did stuff and that was 1 or 2 laid-back activities during the summer. One year my boys did the Outdoor Activity Award and were often the only participants. I was a newbie and made them do almost ALL the requirements not picking SOME. So they really earned it that year. It was a pretty cool pocket patch and they hated seeing it go when they became Boy Scouts.

I think the main thing during the summer is the parents want the break.

So... does that mean if my kid was the only one to show up to scheduled/published activities in the summer he can get the patch?

I mean, he DID show up, if only because the back seat of my car was attached to where I was going for these activities.

He went to Day Camp, he went fishing, he passed out balloons at the Peach Festival, he went to the State Park, he's going to be in a Golden Eagle Color Guard this weekend, and he'll be at the swim party in 2 weeks.

So can I give just MY kid that award? Or is that obnoxious???