Once more into the Breech, Dear Friends! DayCamp!

Maybe it will rain... What do we do if it rains??? "we get wet!"

Sun Burn on the BACK of the knees! More sun block...

Ms Director is getting STRESSSSSSED OUT! Give that lady a hug...

"Is this a square knot?" "What's your name, Cub?" "Steve!" "Well, looks like a Steve Knot to me!"

" My Compass doesn't work!" "Let's see... Well, if you hold it so you look DOWN on it it will work. See? Looking UP at it ain't the way it's supposed to work..."

" I can't do this!" " I think you can... Hold your hands like THIS, annnnnnnd throw it like THIS... " "(big smile)"

**** more to come**** Gotta go......

HEHEHHEHE

That's going to be me in two weeks, unless the NC fires keep going. One of our day camps had to shut down today, and possibly the rest of the week, due to the smoke.

HAVE FUN AND DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, Done That AND got Two T-Shirts out of it!! Had ours 2 weeks ago!

Don't forget:

Where's your buddy?

No running in Camp!

Please don't bring Tuna Fish or Egg Salad for lunch, if you can't keep it cold!

No, you may not play William Tell at the range!

Really Walking Den Leader, that phone call is more important than helping your boys?

It's always FOR THE BOYS!!!

Have a great week!(This message has been edited by OwnTheNight)

beardad: school systems where I live (GA) mostly let out end of May...and get back mid-august. Yeah, ridiculous.

At any rate, yeah we did Cub Scout camp last week..and I have never been as tired as I was by Friday!

(adult) "I teach Special Ed and I don't know HOW you are so patient with MY son. I can't do a THING with him..."

"Were you watching when I showed you how to do this?" "nooo.. Was I suppose to?"

"So, if someone says they are drowning and they aren't, but they're fooling and they tell the lifeguard that they are and they aren't,really, but they say they are, what would happen?" "Well, if I'm the lifeguard, that person isn't swimming any more today..." "Umm-mmm."

"Can we take this rope home?"

"Can we take this bow and some arrows home?"

((After telling them that the compass is a real compass, that it is a TOOL to have fun with, that you can really use it to navigate with, and that it is theirs to keep, several times during the exercise)): "Can we keep this compass?" "Does it really point north all the time?" (well, not on the hood of your car, not next to your steel belt buckle, etc.) "Can I have a red one I don't like blue".

In order to encourage water drinking, we lead 'toasts' to the Queen's (Camp Director) health. Parent comes up and gently chastises Staffer for encouraging alcoholism....

"But wait.... there's more.... NOW how much would you pay...."

Our public schools are still going. They are making up all the days they were sitting home waiting for the National Guard to finish removing the snow off the roofs of the schools.

I'll be going to my first day camp July 11. Looking forward to it. Where else can I act like a fool and be seen as a hero all at the same time?

Cub Scout Camp meeting tonight for all the parents, no Johnny does not need to bring the family's six room tent, no Johnny does not need to bring that hatchet, no Billy does not need that knife, yes Jimmy does need to bring a change of clothes for each day, yes he will get at least one shower during the week.

Should be fun.

* Slip and slides a big hit, as always. Akelas pleased with "value added": Fun, Exercise, throwing skills ("help, help, throw me a rope"), lots of soap and water to clean clothing and boys!

* Since we had gone to a new CSDC site (Izaac Walton property. Nice people. FREE!!)) because the County Park service TRIPLED our fees in the last two years, we had extra money, so camp staff had lunch provided (!), more community , less stress over food and drink. More Watermelon! (always a good thing).

* Never knew so many Scouts knew so much Monty Python... Cultural education is complete, I guess. But where is the creativity in skit creation?

And...

* We had set up TWO flag poles this year, one for state flag, too, so more Cubs can help with flag ceremonies. Not til the LAST DAY, the LAST HALF HOUR , did some one trip over the guy rope for the US flag and bring the pole down ("OOOHH! OOHH!! Now we have to burn the flag!!!" No, not yet.). And then , after putting in a new, longer peg and truing the poles and lines, someone ELSE trips over THE SAME GUY ROPE and knocks down the SAME POLE, with one quarter hour to go. Put'er up again, true everything up again, station a Scout on the peg and rope, commence closing flag ceremony again, aaaannnnd..... goes well. "Camp Salute. Two. CAMP DISMISSED!! Have an excellent summer!!"

We just finished day camp this last week. It was 95 degrees or above all week.

I feel our district runs one of the best day camps I have ever heard of. They ran 300 boys who through the program and it went off like a well run operation.