Is there a Cub Camp Theme list?

No one has steped up to run our major camp in October (it's a "day" camp but families can camp over the weekend if they want to). So, it looks like me and my DH will be running it.

Is there a Theme list, like progrma helps, from National? I have an idea and will use that if there isn't one.

Thanks,

Diana

Cubmaster 32

I use to be a Beaver! S18-11-1

You council sounds like mine in several ways.

If it's a day camp, have you been to National Camping School to run it? If you have, you should have received a list of ideas in the book.

If it is a Family Camp out, have you gone through that training? My council foudn out last year that family campouts have a set of standards that must be completed. Resident Camp folks are suppose to do the training, and I am assuming they have a list of ideas.

I don't need to go to camp school for it. They told me the reason but I don't remember off the top of my head. It's a one day event that Packs or families can stay over night if they want to. Each pack is in charge of their own camping. But I am the BALOO and OWL in my Pack. I guess "day camp" isn't really even the right name for it but that is what it has always been called. But belive me, if it was something that I needed to go to NCS for they would send me. Our new Key 3 is really on the ball with that type of stuff. I can get a copy of the Camping School book and i'll look in there. Thanks.

You'd probably want to get your hands on a program director's NCS book, since your concern is less about logistics and more about program. But for this type of event, it's not really necessary, IMHO. You're basically looking at a one-day event - maybe a day and a half if people stay overnight. You don't need to go really heavy on the theme. You certainly can if you want to and your resources permit, but it's not a necessity.

My advice would be to start figuring out some key items and map out out your program offerings from there.

>> People. How many volunteers do you have to run the program? What are their backgrounds and areas of expertise? How many Scouts and family members are you expecting? How many of them are first-time campers or new Scouts with little to no outdoor experience?

>> Location. What resources do you have on-site? If you're holding it at your council camp, can you use their knot-tying ropes, fire buckets and compasses? Are there pavilions, or will you need to set up tarps to provide sheltered program areas in case of rain?

>> Topics. Based on your volunteer list and on-site resources, brainstorm a list of program offerings that can be run in 15-minute to half-hour segments. Don't try to re-invent the wheel. There's knot-tying, firebuilding, a nature hike, some sort of durable take-home craft, making GORP, etc. Most camps and Scouting volunteers should be able to do most of those things pretty easily.

>> Scheduling. Look at your site map and figure out how long it would take to get from one program area to the next. Then decide if you want to do block scheduling, where each group moves on to another site in order, or a free-for-all, where anyone can do anything any time, first-come, first-serve. If the former, carve out enough time between for each group to travel.

>> Volunteers. Once you've got your program outline and know the stuff you want to offer, broaden your volunteer base. Contact the Order of the Arrow, campmasters, summer camp staff, and ask them if they want to come out and help for a day in exchange for a free meal.

For specific theme activity ideas, do a search here for "cub camp theme." You'll have to do some sorting, but you'll find a ton of ideas.

ok, thanks. I JUST did the same thing in March but on a much smaller scale. I did have the book that my freind gave me so I'm good to go. I just need to talk to the guy who ran it for the past 3 years and get some info for some stuff.

Cub Scout camp themes often mirror the old themes that were used in Program Helps. See if you can find some old Program Helps for ideas. There are also some theme ideas in the Cub Scout Leader How To Book.

Our camp last spring was an elaborate Harry Potter themed event, with costumed characters from the stories and activities themed around the classes at Hogwarts. Potions was simple chemistry, Defense against the Dark Arts was first aid and emergency preparedness, etc. We played quidditch at lunch. It was quite the success. You can see pictures of some of our events here: http://threeriverscubscoutactivities.shutterfly.com/pictures

This fall our theme is superheros.

My Council does a annual event called HALT. Halloween At Loud Thunder. It is always a Halloween Theme. Haunted Hay Rack Ride, Midway games in the parade field, Haunted HOuse, we stand the wooden tent platforms up on end and create a maze. Dining Hall decorated and so forth. Since it is the same theme each year, they can purchase or have donated clearance halloween decorations/props from different retail buisnesses.

One advantage is since everything is the same it is easier organizing and staffing each year. The only drawback is after you have gone for 2 or three years it can get a little stale. One thing I like about it is that it gets the families out to the Boy Scout Camp. I try to give the new parents a little tour so they can have a taste of what is available beyond the Cub Scout level.

Beaver C-45-06