If my son committs to ANYTHING, he must follow through or pay the consequences. As an example:

Wanted to play pop warner football - we paid for the registration and 2 weeks into practice, he wanted to quit - we said, Fine - as long as he reimursed us for the money and HE had to tell his coach FACE TO FACE that he was quitting and the reason.

We are trying to teach him that your word is the most valuable asset you have when dealing with others and it shouldn't be cheapened at ANY cost. If you committ to something, you committ 100%, not less. If you want out of something there is usually a cost - we're trying to teach that lesson as well as early as possible to our boys.

If i require this of him, it would be kind of hypocritical of me not to do the same.(This message has been edited by Quixote)

Keep in mind the original post. It mentions nothing about quitting. it talks about conflicting schedules. Boys should be able to experience differnet types of activities. When you do more than one thing in your life there will be conflicts. Boys should not always have to choose scouts first. But that doesn't release the leader of providing a program that is so good that the boy would always want to choose scouts first.

Bob White

Yes, I attend BSA training without my son(s). However, I don't make a career out of it. Aside from the ocassional training session and some committee meetings, most events that I attend include my son(s) participation.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)