Modify Webelos requirements for special needs?

What is the process--or is there a process--to modify Webelos (or other) CS achievement requirements for "special needs" that are not related to physical disabilility (autism, aspergers, ADD, etc.)

From the BSA "Scouting for Youth With Disabilities Manual", under the Cub Scouting Program -

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34059.pdf

"The advancement program is flexible. With guidance, most boys can learn and perform the skills. Advancement requirements should not be watered down or eliminated for boys with disabilities. The speed at which requirements are completed and the means of explaining them might need to be adjusted and simplified. It might take longer for a Scout with a disability to earn his awards. The standard for every boy is, Has he done his best?

BSA's Cub Scout Leader Book also has an entire chapter on Cub Scouts with disabilities.

What, specifically, are your issues?

(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

I am not real familiar with the CS side, I know there is a form to be filled out on the BS side for accommodations for Eagle rank. My autistic son just earned his Eagle, we had submitted a letter to our Council along with the form requesting he have help in communication and planning. It had to be signed by a doctor, to confirm his disability.

He did, however, do all the requirements. We made heavy use of pictures, he is a visual learner. We would also modify the schedules. For instance, if he needed to demonstrate 5 things he would just do them one at a time while other boys might do all of them at once. Most boys, even those with special needs have strengths and weaknesses. Try and use his strengths to his advantage.

Good luck!

While cub scouting is do your best.....webelos I try to transition to actual completing the requirements.......I would modify the requirements as you see fit....In cubbing it isn't like they are actually looking over your shoulder or any thing.....just keep it in the spirit of scouting is all.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same question as 83Eagle. I have a boy that is in our den that is autistic. Right now I am looking at all the requirements for the Webelos Badge and trying to come up with a plan to help him with the Webelos program. I am meeting with both his parents next week to outline with them the Webelos program and my agenda for the Webelos Badge. From doing research in these forums and linked sites I have found some useful information. What I am wanting to know is how you have handled autistic members in the den and how you helped them achieve their Rank Advancement. Thanks!

This is going to be a bit long, but here is what is stated in the advancement guide in regard to cubs with disabilities.

The advancement program is so flexible that, with guidance, most boys can do the skills. It might take longer for a disabled boy to earn his awards, but he will appreciate them more by knowing he has made the effort. The standard for every boy is Has he done his best?

A Cub Scout who is physically disabled may be given permission by the Cubmaster and packcommittee to substitute electives for achievement requirements that are beyond his abilities. It is best to include parents in this process of determining

substitutions since they are most familiar with their sons abilities.

Immediate recognition of advancement is even more important for boys with disabilities. The Tiger Cub and Cub Scout Immediate Recognition Kits, the den doodle, and the Den Advancement Chart all help provide immediate recognition in den meetings as achievements and electives are completed. Remember that a month seems like a long time to a boy and that completing requirements for a badge might seem like forever to him. Be sure to give him periodic recognition at pack meetings when he earns a badge.

While leaders must be enthusiastic about helping youngsters with disabilities, they must at the same time fully recognize the special demands that will be made on their patience, understanding, and skill in teaching advancement requirements.

I love how things I've been thinking about show up being asked by others within days! LOL

I'm having this trouble also. My Webelos 2 den is working on getting all twenty pins. One of the boys is special needs but the parents don't admit it. I know he is, I work in his school and know what classes he is in, the same as my DS! I talk to the mom about our boys having alot of the same problems. His leader knows he is because they have told her more.

What do you do if they CAN do the skill but just WON'T do it and the parents won't admit there are special needs so you can adjust the requirements?

If it matters, the one I'm thinking about it the AQUANAUT number 1:Jump into water over your head. Come to the surface and swim 100 feet, at least half of this using a backstroke. Can he use a lafejacket to do it? Still jump in over his head but with the jacket on. Or if they won't admit there is a need to adjust, tell him he HAS to do it like the others.

Diana

Cubmaster Pack 32

If they have 20 pins why haven't they crossed over?????? Get those boys into boy scouts.

If they can do the skill and won't.....No sign off in my book.

Why would the scout need a life jacket???? If he is physically normal he needs to do it. If it is lack of swimming knowledge then get him some lessons and then sign off. If he has a PHYSICAL handicap then, I would rather see a shorter distance instead of a life jacket....but that is just me. so instead of a full lap of the pool maybe just down or half way.

The skill is swimming after all.

Keep in mind that next summer when they go to camp, they will not be allowed a lifejacket to pass the swimming test.

I said "WORKING". They don't have them yet . They start 5th grade in September. That is what I thought.

He won't put forth the effort to do it unless I push him to. I know he can.

His dad was his wolf and bear DL and he would always "do" his project at home as the demo and then not work on it in the den claiming he did it at home. The dad would make everyone prove what they did(if another mom said they named tools at home, the scout would have to bring them to the next meeting and tell HIM the names before signing off)but his chid never did and would get mad when I would ask about it. And yes I know that it was wrong! As soon as I found out about that and several other things, he was removed as a leader.

Sometimes I feel that I let my feelings about this family cloud my judgement on what I know is the right way to do things. Because I just don't want to deal with them. I really don't think he will make it in Boy Scouts because he will have to do the work.

Diana

Cubmaster Pack 32

My short answer is that webelos pins are designed for a lot of independent work. To have a den set out with the goal of collectively earning all 20 is therefore something I would not do but that is the dens choice.

At the Webelos level parents can no longer sign off on accomplishments for the most part so the scout will have to show or demonstrate to the leader.

Of course, if the den leader simply pencil whips the requirements as ours did...but that's another matter altogether.

So expect all the same from all the boys. The parents have not requested any accommodation. Until they do you do nothing different, which means the boy may not earn his pins with the den if he won't jump in the water, etc.

The motto is do your best, but you still have to DO.

Leave the advancement legalism for Boy Scouts. It will come soon enough.

For this discussion thread, I think it is important to differentiate between Boy Scout advancement and Cub Scout advancement. Though both are theoretically the same, there is a difference.

"Do your best" is key in Cub Scouts. We want cubs to have a positive experience that provides growth (skills, responsibility, maturity, social, ...) but also encourages transition to Boy Scouts. So for Webelos advancement, I'd look to find a way to make the pins be a great experience and not just a check list to get done.

For a Cub Scout with special needs, work with the parents to find a way so that the cub scout gets value out of the program. It might be skills or other personal growth. Or it might just be friendships, a safe environment and a positive experience. That's fine too.

Had a young man in the same situation two years ago.....

Took him to webelos resident camp.... Swim test time, he said he did not feel like swimming. BB shooting time didn't want to do that either. Name the activity he didn't feel like it. refused to waiter during his turn.

Well first pack meeting rolled around, no pins, zero. his mom was furious with me. she spent $150 for nothing.....I did not sign off on the pins because he refused to participate. Well he quit very shortly after that....well stopped coming.

Not trying to ignite the great crossover debate again.....but I believe WE should get the boys into the Troop as soon as they earn the required pins and attend the required activities.

That is what I bet is going to happen when this young man moves to a troop! He does it sometimes when we go camp, not wanting to help put up his tent (he sleeps in his own next to his parents), not help cook with the other Webs, not help clean up. I have told him that if he doesn't help/do it he won't get credit for doing it. Luckly I havn't had to not sign off on something yet. And I think the parent relise I mean what I say after an outing a couple of months ago.

Diana

The difference between CS and BS is important to note; however, as a Cub Scout you still have to DO Your Best.

Your Pack should be thankful that you are at least asking these questions and addressing this issue. In our Pack's case we had a WDL who simply signed off on requirements for some unknown reason--who knows, maybe they talked about an activity in a den meeting, or they thought about talking about it, but they certainly never did the activities, nor did the boys do them on their own.

This became readily apparent at Webelos resident camp when a boy who could not only not swim a single stroke but refused to even go in the water showed up with a handbook with EVERY activity for Aquanaut signed off on by his WDL!!!

Fortunately the WDL has left the pack, but in the interim we are cleaning up the mess left behind, as well as dealing with parents who are now coming to realize that their boys didn't do diddly in the program for the last year.