Tiger Cub Den Leader Award

Whatever your pack defines as a program year. IMO since tigers are wolves once school is out in our program a tiger leader sticking with the den can only serve 9 months, but that is a full year just like 9 months is a full school year.

In my District, there is some flexibility. If a Tiger Den Leader commits to a "program year", which may only be a 9 to 10 month schedule, then that is enough to recognize him/her for the award assuming all other training and performance requirements are met.

Tiger Den Leaders usually do not start their positions until August or September and then often move into a Wolf Den Leader position by the following June. Our District wants to recognize those parents that have made an important leadership commitment to the Cub program and not simply cut them off because they fell short of a literal 12 month period.

My final answer is to check with your District officials or your Pack Leadership and see if the same philosophy applies.

I know most places would go with a program year, i.e. School year. But I thought I heard somewhere that SCOUTNET now has something to do with keeping track of requirements and verifying tenure and training.

What is a "program year"? Scouting is a 12 months year-round program. If a unit decides to shutdown for the summer or otherwise end the program, the clock stops too. Why should an adult be given an award for running an abbreviated program?

I think the point is the June 1 rule...as of June 1, all your Tigers turn into Wolves, and the Tiger DL typically becomes the Wolf DL.

Upwards of 90% (ok, I'm making that up, but I bet I'm right) of the Tiger Den Leaders sign up in the fall with their sons at the start of First Grade...not at the end of Kindergarten.

So...that makes a typical 'Tiger Year' 3 months shorter than the other programs. If you want to encourage and recognize the Tiger DLs (and I sure do!), you go ahead and recognize them for leading the den through to the end of the Tiger program year in June.

My $.02

-Sean

The award isn't just for being a leader for a year; one has to be fully trained, attend supplemental trainings and help with a roundup. Not every Tiger Leader will get earn it.

My pack "hibernates" during the school year and as a Tiger Leader I was able to pass along summer activities and help with daycamp after June, but I wasn't going to change the idea that Scouting happens just during the school year. I hope it changes later, but we'll have to see.

Personally I wouldn't let that three months stand between awarding an otherwise deserving Tiger Cub Den Leader The Knot.

I'm a pragmatist. I encourage leaders to cultivate an appreciation of knots in the hope that it might shape their future activities towards being awarded more of them, which will benefit Scouting and Scouts.

My DE and district treat the issue the same way. No one nitpicks knot applications.

In particular, I want to award someone their FIRST knot pretty badly.

Someone who has been Tiger Den Leader usually has jumped into something they don't understand very well in the hope of providing benefits to their own son and the children of other families. That helped get a whole new Scouting year off to a good start for a pack. I'm going to be looking for every reason to give them that award.

Seattle Pioneer

FScouter,

If memory serves, once upon a time, Cub Scouts was only during the school year, not a full year like Boy Scouts. Hence the Summertime Pack Award and the pins tocreate a year round program. But many units are still in the 9 months mode.

Scouter, because the TDL is not expected to stay with tigers for years on end, although some do.

Our pack runs a year round program, but tigers start with fall recruiting. Scouts cross over in May to the next rank. Therefore it is only possible for a tiger leader in our pack to serve 9 months AS a TDL.

To say that no tiger leader in our pack who meets the other requirements for the award is ineligible because it is impossible makes no sense and in my opinion is not the intent of the requirement.

Thanks guys. I guess what it comes down too is I will put down when I started as DL and when we moved up to Wolf and see what happens. I'm not doing it for the knot but it would be cool to get it.

Hello Renax,

Even if you want to be a stickler, it's very common for positions in Cub Packs not to be updated until the next recharter. Technically, you are a registered Tiger Cub Den Leader from the day your registration is approved until your appointment expires, often when the charter for the current year expires.