The "One Man Show"

When I came into our Pack a few years back as TDL, the Pack was a one-man show. I just assumed this was the way things were supposed to be until I started going to roundtables, talking to other packs, and taking training.

Now, this was not a power play by the prior CM. Really, he had just been doing the job for so long that he got worn down trying to get volunteers so did everything himself. Obviously, that limits how much a Pack can do and makes it terribily difficult to find someone to take over.

As CM my first priority was to "fix" that by stressing this was OUR program and not MY program, by setting the expectation that parents were to be involved, by fully involving volunteers in the pack operations, holding regular leader meetings, and by trying to get the in-name-only committee of 3 warm bodies to take on the responsibilities of an actual planning committee.

I also made it well known that I am on the 2-year plan, not the 20-year plan. So hopefully these changes not only get things running more smoothly and allow us to do more now, but make it easier to make that switch then.

But...change is not easy. Our CC prefers to be uninvolved and tells me "it's your Pack, you're in charge" when I've asked for help, intercession with problems, or opinions. At the parent level, as everyone out there knows, it is always hard to get people to step up. I hate pulling out the big hammer of "we are dropping this event/activity if no one will take it on," especially when it's something that I or my son like to do but really belongs outside the CM role, but sometimes you just have to. And of course, it's been a big change for the Pack--I've had to deal with people who don't understand why they need to get involved at all--after all, they signed Johnny up to be IN Cub Scouts, not for them to run Cub Scouts, right? I've been told, "That's YOUR job."

But, through a combination of enthusiasm, persuasion, and a little coercion, we are getting it done.

So, I can see how Packs can easily devolve into a one-man show. While I'm sure there are Packs out there where one person (CM, CC, or other) tries to exert control because he is a Type A personality, I believe just as often it's because that one man comes to believe "it's just easier if I do it all myself."

No question for the forum, really--just observations/discussion.(This message has been edited by 83eagle)

Yea can feel your pain, we started from scratch a couple of years ago. has been tuff to get parents to step up for sure, sometimes don't think they want to commit to doing anything expect droping boys off.

We had a pinic last weekend and 1 family has visited us a couple times and wanted to join possible, thought cool we got a new boy, well in a suprised we had a friend of his join aswell, to make it sweeter the parents joined. So not only we had a couple of boys join, but 3 parents ,1 which is will be a DL.

Here we are racking our brains to make things to happen and these folks who wants to be involved show up.

I kinda do more than 1 given thing in pack, not that I want to, but some people don't want to take time, to find out how to help or that could do more.

Cub Scouts is about family and takes more than 1 or 2 people to make a pack GO!

83Eagle,

Yeah I get it I am thaking over for our "obe man show" CC. I think some people are going to have an awakening because I like you am not willing to "just do it". As much as I love the program, I like my sanity (what little I have left) more. ;)

The ironic part is that one of the critcisms I have gotten is that I am a "command a control freak" who "expects too much of people." Long story short but that related to my asking a volunteer to actually do what said volunteer had agreed to do in a leadership role, rather than just be a warm body who liked getting dressed up in a tan shirt once a month.

But, we are making progress. Many successes. Many more ideas bubbling up...even though people learned real quick that the response to great ideas is usually "Sounds great, go ahead and do it!" Uhhh...oh...I didn't mean *I* wanted to do it, I wanted you to do it. Not how it works I'm afraid! :)

Back to the point, I've really gained an appreciation for WHY the Pack was a one-man show, because it is seemingly--but not actually--easier to take on more and more stuff. A lot less interpersonal hassle when you run your Pack like little league.

I'm a Web DL (2nd year) on my way out of cub scouting with second son.

Okay, my boys have gotten much out of scouting. But also In seven years, I've learned a lot, grown a lot, done a lot. Scouting educates the whole family.

I've watched my parent volunteers also be more and more confident and comfortable over the years.

By not recruiting and delegating we deny other parents these opportunity to be learners. We deny their sons the example of service to their program by their most important adults.

Many times doing it yourself is easier, but only in the short term.

It's easy to get into "One Man Show" mode. It's so easy just to say "Heck, with it..I'll do it myself" instead of calling and hearing a dozen sob stories about how they are "so busy" right now and don't think they can handle... I have ran our Pack almost singlehandedly (with my wife's help) for over 2 years now. I have an assistant CM who does help, but he is more of a "Pick this up, move it here, and hold this end.." kind of guy. All Pack planning, finance, recruting, etc is done my ME. My CC is pretty much just a "figure". My DLs do a decent job but they rely (IMHO) TOO MUCH on the PACK to run the program. We often do Pack and Den Meetings on the same day. "Ya'll come an hour early and we'll have a Den meeting..." I've stayed up till 2AM finalizing popcorn orders, worked 12-14 hours and fundraisers, and worked hours in the kitchen with my wife preparing desserts and other special treats for meetings. Not to metion PWD prep, B/G prep, and everything else that comes along. I'll quit now, nobody likes to hear a grown man cry. LOL

My son is a W-II. Thank goodness. I have selected and began the process of "training" my replacement. He has a HUGE task ahead of him unless he plans on running himself ragged like I have. I love the program, but I'm looking forward to the Troop!

Hopefully all of you will move onto Boy Scouts where unfortunately you will see the parent participation problem doesnt go away.

AKdenledr makes a fantastic point that by not bringing in more adults, they are not given the opportunity to try something new and find that they really *like* this Scouting thing. Its almost as cool seeing an adult come out of their shell as it is seeing a boy do the same. Its funny watching the look on the face of a new leader the first time they get swept in the moment of a goofy dining hall/campfire song that a few months prior wouldve been far below their dignity. People think I was joking when I'd tell them I won't hog all the fun.

Additionally different boys click with different adults, having more involved allows an expanded opportunity to have more positive influences in a boys life. We all have our shortcomings and hopefully those areas can be leveled out with leader depth.

As easy as it is to just do it yourself, dont do it any longer than you absolutely have too. You may be able to get away with it for a while until it catches up by effecting your real job, your marriage/relationships, and other children. While I am very proud of my years of involvement with some of the most fantastic young men Ive ever known, my relationship with my daughter took years to recover and in some ways never will. Keep yourself on a short time plan, improve what you can and leave some for the next person. And most of all, enjoy the ride or it will turn into a burden.

I tried to get as many repeatable events in place and establish structure all could understand. Then its easier to hand off to someone else here you go feel free to take it and run. A primary function of the CC is to recruit additional leaders, dont let them off the hook.

JTS

I pretty much run the pack my son is in as the cc not because I want to and I want to have control or be in charge but it is hard to get help/ I have some great leaders but outside the meetings, they don't do much including come to pack committee meetings and round tables. Parent's, they are even harder to get to help out. They love to show up for everything but coming early to help or staying late, forget it. There are some that will go above and they are great appreciated but there are just a handful of them. It's gotten better, especially with the leaders because this year I decided I will get help, or we won't have an event. I cancelled a few small things and they knew I was serious so it's starting to get easier for me but I still do a huge majority of planning and getting events set up by myself so I know there you are coming from!

sashuster, start with small things...

Have the first parents that arrive hand out newsletters. Have parents run games at pack meetings. Get people who aren't wearing a tan shirt in front of the group to help hand out stuff, etc.

Before you close meetings, secure the help you need to clean, etc. or...just...stand...there...watching...the...seconds...tick...by.... I've done that... it works!

Also, get the BOYS to volunteer their parents. At our last pack meeting we needed people to dish up ice cream sundaes. I said "Who wants sundaes?!" Everyone cheers. "Then boys, we need to get three of your parents to volunteer to help serve!"

Yep, we got three volunteers...AND the boys whose parents volunteered got to go first in line. :)

Small things lead to bigger things...we're making progress.

>

It's always easier to do it yourself. It's a fatal slippery slope, just as you describe.

Usually there ARE people who will help if you look for them and keep them happy. It's easiest to start with new parents who have just joined the pack.

Frankly, I'd start by replacing that Committee Chair at the next recharter. The CC is a key person, and your CC has exactly the wrong attitude.

You need to have a good Cubmaster and a good CC. When one is planning to leave, the other needs a year of good experience so as to be able to help with the program continuity when the other moves on.

That's my experience, anyway.

Seattle, I talked about our CC, who is also the COR, in another thread...we're dealing with a 40 year veteran who has basically earned tenure. So we just work around the situation. Not ideal but it could be worse and it's not worth upsetting the pack about, not to mention the community at large that wouldn't understand the coup attempt.

From what I have read from this site, there is another reason also:

Packs where nobody will offer to lift a single finger to help out, but the leader cares about the program enought to just suck it up and do whatever it takes to keep the pack running for the boy's sake. They will do anything in order to not have to cancel an event or dissapoint the boys.

Of course, it's a nasty cycle: as long as the leader keeps doing it, the parents see no reason to volunteer. As long as no parents volunteer..the leader will keep being the one man show.

It's a tough cycle Scoutfish. My district is LARGE (about 20 or so packs and who knows how many troops) and very well organized and we are pretty lucky to have some fine leadership. However, the district canceled Spring Family Camping because not one leader stepped up to run it at the district level.

Next year they are making every single unit who wants to participate in Fall Family Camping to send at least one volunteer to be in the FCC committee.

Point is..sometimes it's not just the parents. Sometimes we all get tired.

Getting tired after having volunteered for x amount of time with your own unit, and x amount of time at the district level is one thing..

Getting tired when you haven't even volunteered 1/2 an hour of your time at anything is another..

We always do our camporees hike-a-thons and other events where we have a volunteer at district level willing to give advice & support for a unit (sometimes 2 small units work together or the OA) that steps up to be the organizer of the function.

The district committee many times is similar to unit committees.. You have a few dedicated volunteers, but they will only pick up so much, they can't do it all.. No one else wants to step up and help, and they have the same tough time trying to involve other volunteers.. Therefore, if you don't have enough volunteers things will get dropped or you find a way to force it onto the units in the district to help pick up and help if they want the program.

I agree with Scoutfish. I am in that very same situation. EVERY TIME I have tried to delegate, it hasn't gotten done. A couple of months ago, I decided I would delegate ONE SIMPLE event to a couple of parents in the Pack. Event was to begin at 10AM, I start getting calls at 9:30AM the MORNING OF THE EVENT. "Hey, where are we meeting?" "What's going on?" "I haven't heard from (insert name here)!"

Never again, I'll handle it myself.