Leader soliciting "tips"?

I need to replace a DL in our Pack due to some "shifting" and Pack growth. The outgoing DL and myself (CM) have looked over the parents in the Den and have come down to one that we think will do a great job. He's got alot on his plate (who doen't?) and we're not sure if he'll readily accept. Can anyone share some success stories about some things you've said that have got some folks off the fence and into the game?

Try and recruit an Assistant Den Leader as well to help with the work load. Having a team of leaders really helps when one has a busy plate.

Side note: I'm glad this is the topic of the thread. I thought at first you had a problem with a Del Leader soliciting for monetary tips from the parents. Just when you thought you have seen it all.

art - me, too!

Have a plan of action for what people will do to support the potential DL. It is easy to say "oh, we'll help - call me anytime" but experienced folks will know that such promises often evaporate when the help is actually needed. Concrete offers to help with specific things are better.

Show the target exactly what's involved - how many den meetings? how many pack meetings? how many committee/leader meetings? how many special events? How many nights a week are you really asking for? Which of these are negotiable? Put it on paper for him to see.

For a few years I've toyed with the idea of volunteering as a Tiger DL for a pack in my neighborhood (my son is in high school and I have no direct ties to the pack, but I'd be happy to do it and I know what a difference a solid Tiger DL can make for a pack) but then I start thinking about kudzu. It is one thing to volunteer to do ONE thing. It becomes a problem when you thought you were volunteering for ONE thing and you end up getting entangled in MANY things that you didn't really have time or inclination to do. Have a clear plan for how you'll avoid this sort of problem, esp. if you have a small, over-taxed, leadership group already.

Be persistent. Don't take the first "no" you get for the final answer. If he won't do that task but he's a great guy, see if you can find another spot that's more to his tastes. Maybe he's not ready to jump into a DL position, but would serve elsewhere and free up someone else, or he'd be a great assistant to somebody else as DL.

Get him to sign up for training. If you prefer, get him to do the online training with you (or someone) so you can talk through what it really means to be a DL. This encourages enthusiasm and dispels concerns about the definitions or boundaries of the position. He might be more inclined to say yes, once he knows what's expected.

Show him whatever resources your current DLs have & can share. Some packs keep a binder of den meeting plans, tips, community resources, etc. That can be a real help to a potential DL (and can be used to get them excited about the possibilities, too).

1) You want people with a lot on their plate. That means they work hard and are serious about things. The key is someone who doesn't have too much on their plate.

2) As somebody else said, recruit a good assistant for him/her. Barring that, find a good Den Chief for him/her.

3) Have the CM and ACMs help out at least early on.

unless you are a pack where all the den meetings meet at the same day, time, and such... one big selling point is being able to set the schedule. For people with a lot on their plate that allows them to make sure they can keep scouts to work for their childs schedule as well as theirs.

WE just did something different as an incentive to hold a positiuon.

By far, our hardest position to fill and maintain is treasuerer. Granted, noyt the same thing as a DL as you are asking about, but still just as important.

At one of our leadership meeting s few months back, we decided that whoever takes the treasuerer positiuon, no longer pays dues for their boys. They no longer pay fees for PACK campouts either ( usually only in te $0.00 range anyways).

Now, did that DL have an ADL or any p[articular parent who was more helpful or more active than the rest? Ask him/her about assuming the role. Tell them that no two DL's are alike and that he/she now has the freedonm to do a few things differently if he/she chooses.

But of course, we know that this is the real world. Regardless of what the BSA books say, people are not climbing all over each oter trying to get to be the first one to help out!

If the one you like takes the job, immediately find him an assitant. Then if the DL burnms out or cannot keep it up, the ADL can step up.

Something to keep in mind is that the spouse, if there is one, can be the unseen part of the equation, and winning that person over might be the key to recruiting the person you want. It is part of the process of identifying and eliminating roadblocks if possible to help someone step up to a leadership position.

The scheduling thing for me was a BIG factor! As the DL (last year Tiger, and now Wolf, even though I'm the CM), I picked what day worked for ME, and I hold Den meetings at MY house.

I don't have to haul stuff around, and I don't have to drive anywhere. I come home from work, and have over an hour to change and get ready for the meeting, but I can also reboot the laundry and open the mail and sign my daughter's permission slip, etc...

ANYWAY, I also agree with the "tough love". Asking for volunteers does *NOT* work (see my ponderous thread on non-committees). You have to look someone in the eye, and STATE what you NEED from them.

"The Den MUST have a registered leader next year; you'd be AWESOME at it, and we'll help you all the way. Would you please fill this out so we can go ahead and register the Den for next year? Otherwise, we can't."

I always looked for two possible DLs before I approached asking the first one to take a position. Its always easier for someone to consider a volunteer position if they know somebody else is covering their back. If you feel comfortable about asking one to lead and the other assist, by all means approach them that way. If however neither seems to feel comfortable as a leader, then ask them to be co-leaders. The true leader will take on more of the responsibility a few weeks into the job.

Also, your odds are always better asking in person, not on the phone.

Barry

Every parent has something they are really good at. Some are really into a hobby, others are good cooks, some great organizers. Ask everyone to do something. The lazy ones will grab the easiest duties first; I have had some parents with extra$ and no time subsidize snacks, etc. Sometimes mom will volunteer Dad to help out for one meeting if he is not a regular ("Joe is a marine biologist for the state, he can do a presentation for naturalist" or "Fred is a coach he can help with physical fitness next week"). Make sure you praise the parents.

If you can get a "core" group of parents to help it becomes infectious and helps you concentrate on the program.

I would also use the BearTrax or WebelosTrax, etc spreadsheets to track awards. Also map out a rough plan for the entire year, or if you are not gifted organizationally (as I am) find someone else to do it. You can also find other leaders can send you theres that you can adapt.

As far the times and meeting dates, if you are the leader just make a decision. No time ever works for everyone.

I think Assistants are really important. A lot of folks will do assistant DL if they are not the main one. I had 20 tigers one time and a very nice ADL whose main function was to peel off the occasional troublemaker for 5 minutes cooling off. It made my job easier.

Praise and recognize any adult who helps you in front of the group.

Also when recruiting a leader, especially a man, emphasis how he will grow in the eyes of his child. Also more than one leader was born when his wife insisted he spend more time with his son(s). Finally remind any recruits that while it is work it there are a lot of new and fun activities they will get to do. If it wasn't for scouting with my boys I would have never camped, hiked, kayaked, snorkeled, marched in a parade or played balloon stomp. It is nice as one plows through middle-age to get the opportunity to learn new things.