Gifts for Webelo 1 crossing over to Webelo 2

I'm very new to scouting (2nd year) and was never involved in scouting as a child so I'm learning things on the fly. I'm the advancement chair for our pack. We just had our crossover picnic and the Webelos 1 den leader asked me if there was anything we could give the boys that are crossing over to Webelos 2 since they don't get a new neckerchief, book or slide. He asked me this 2 days before the crossover ceremony so there wasn't much time to get them anything. At any rate, I'm thinking ahead to next year and wondering if anyone has any ideas for *something* to give these boys to recognize their hard work in addition to their Webelos badge. I'm thinking if someone has a handmade gift idea, I'll have time to start on it now. We only have 2 boys right now that have just crossed over into W2 so I shouldn't be a hardship. TIA for any advice!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when my son was a cub they had different things for each level at cross over...

tiger to wolf got an arrow head necklace

wolf to bear got a bear claw necklace

bear to webelos got a wooden chip with feathers and were given their Indian name written on the wooden chip

webelos I to II they got a necklace with a piece of scalp on it (really was hair from a wig, but akela acted out cutting off some of their hair and putting it on there)

as a den we would do different games and compitions through out the years and they got some of that basic camping gear as prizes. Also we all celebrated Christmas so I got the boys little presents each year and by the end of cubs they had a compass, whistle, water bottle, messkit, flint, and a boy scout hat (they were on sale at the scout shop when they were crossing over)

My pack historically gave out the neckers and slides specific for the new level, i.e. Tigers received their Wolf necker and slide, etc. For the Webelos IIs, we gave them compasses.

Why do they need a gift??????

This sets them up for a disappointment when they reach boy scouts. Sure it makes you the leader feel good about it. The boys enjoy getting stuff, but why?

Yes there is no such thing as Webelos I or Webelos II program. it is merely webelos.....and IMHO two years in webelos is one too many.

Basement, I'm just passing along the question because it was asked of me. As I stated in my first post, this is all completely new to me. I will be sharing all suggestions, including the no gift suggestions, with my webelos leader. Sorry if I'm not well-versed in the lingo of the Scouts. I'm doing my best.

Had my coffee

I just read in these forums too many time regarding the antics of well meaning adults.

Had a mom go an buy a dog sled for her webelo group to pull an event.

We have groups that buy they boys leaving cubs entire backpack setups.

I read at all the trinkets leaders give the boys for just attending. Whose paying for them? had a den leader give her boys customized water bottles for christmas a couple of years ago.

red... I was not trying to be mean or insult you.....sometimes I just state the facts and it comes across harsh. I could a left the two year comment off. But We bridge cross or graduate our webelos to the troop in roughly nine months.

We bought arrowheads, and made necklaces out of leather cord to give the upcoming 2nd year Webelos. The main reason is that the other boys were all getting new neckerchiefs. The idea was to use the arrowheads when making their Arrow of light arrows.

Base,

Understand completely where you are coming from as I too beleive in the KISS principle. I'd rather money being spent on program supplies and the necessary awards than extra awards/gifts.

I know my pack's CO was very generous at one time in regards to money, and it got spent. I know I have some concerns b/c our CO has stopped giving the money they use to in order to build a new youth center. But some of the now gone leaders still spent money like the old days, and we are having challenges. One reason why everyone is getting a paracord woggle, costing about $.25 each, instead of the official slides.