Get the word our Tiger PSA

Unfortunately, we have yet another example of people using acronyms without explaining them --- a poor practice.

Frankly, I have no idea what this post referes to.

When people are writing posts, PLEASE explain the acronyms the first time they are used, even if they may be in common use.

There are bound to be people who wont understand them.

Or you know instead of taking the time to chastise me a google search of the exact title of this thread would have helped out especially since that wording is straight from the book. Or you know maybe just ask what a PSA is, though honestly I find it hard to believe anyone on this board would not understand that.

"I find it hard to believe anyone on this board would not understand that."

Believe it!

I wasn't sure what it meant.

Living here in Pennsylvania we have so many acronyms that all start with "P". Also working for the State "PS" Is used a lot.

I did a Google and Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test came up first, followed by Professional Sports Authenticator. I had to scroll down 17 headings till I saw public service announcement.

Anyway, have you heard Scouting Is: Fun(Cub Scouts):

http://www.marketing.scouting.org/Recruiting/WordsToLiveBy/PSAs/Radio.aspx

Or for TV Visit:

http://www.marketing.scouting.org/Recruiting/WordsToLiveBy/PSAs/Television.aspx.

There are also some scripts that you might want to use to make your own in the marketing area of the BSA site.

Ea.

Seattle might have approached the subject kinder.. (Seattle he's a newbie.. play nice at least until post # 10!).. And that goes for the rest of you who followed, with some heckling..

But Renax - People can be honest here, and sometimes you can interpret the written word a little harsher then the writer intended..

And to be honest, I saw this in the morning, didn't know what it was, so decided to leave it for more knowledgable people.. This post could have sat with no answers if everyone did as I did.. So thanks to Seattle bringing up what no one else was willing to admit, you are now getting some response to your question.. If Eamonn has it right and it means Public Service Announcements..

PSA?

Purposely Secret Acronym

I don't know why anyone wouldn't know this....

:)

We had a safety/environment director who sat in on business meetings where acronyms were being tossed around all over the place. When it was time for her report she gave a long report on the green-savings of watching our FBV's. Every other sentence had this inserted. She kept it up until someone raised their hand and sheepishly asked what FBV's were. She proundly announced that was Frequency of Bathroom Visits. Ever since then if an acronym was used, it was identified first before it was used again in any presentation. :)

Stosh

The original poster asked a question that included a reference to a non-scouting abbreviation (it's not an acronym unless the letters themselves form an actual word) that might have several meanings. He/she gives very little information in the original post that might provide some contextual clues.

Renax then complains when someone else points out this ambiguity goes as far as to suggest that Seattle Pioneer was at fault for not performing his own research on Google to try and decipher it.

That, in my opinion, is the rudest comment in this thread. People post questions on this board and others do their best to provide answers. It is incumbent on those posting questions to include as much information as possible in the original post. We have all seen threads that go all over the place, and then the original poster provides an important detail that could have allowed a quick, concise answer in the first place. Why should others have to do research to understand what a poster could have explained in three words?

At the time I am reading this, the counter on the home page says there are over 1300 active users on the board. If only one-quarter of those people read this thread and need to take Renax's advice to perform a Google search, and spend conservatively one minute doing so, that is collectively over five hours of time that could have been avoided by a few simple details in the original, vague post.(This message has been edited by the blancmange)

You guys are correct, I should totally be chastised for using an acronym that is so common my Tigers know what it means. I see that I am unlikely to get any help here as I have violated some users sense of what is proper. I'll move on to somewhere that might actually offer help.

Note that not even the posters complaining about the use of PSA have asked what it means, so looks like you are more concerned about complaining than helping.

Do you mean Public Service Announcement?

I did google PSA, and found nothing Cub related. I was a Tiger Cub leader, and don't recall hearing PSA. Stop being argumentative, and please tell us what you are talking about. People get prickly (and nit-picky) online. It's the nature of the beast.

That said, this board offers a lot of advice, and can be quite useful.

Hi Renax127,

I'm currenlty a Tiger Den Leader and I'm not familiar with the term "PSa." Can you give me some background? If you want to avoid further comments from this board, send me a private message.

Regards,

Jeff

Using an acronym that has reached the status of word is not out of the questions most places or are we expected to spell out scuba, Imax, atm etc on this board. And you are right about internet boards but I expect a little different here, guess I was wrong.

But since somebody actually asked I will answer the question. Yes it is Public Service Announcement.

Some of it might be context... Not entirely sure what you're asking for when you say "I need some ideas on a PSa for my boys", even knowing that "PSa" means Public Service Announcement...

You know what never mind, I guess the title was just too vague, or people would rather **** than help. I've decided that it's just going to be a hassle getting any info on here till I have a few hundred posts and honestly nothing on here is worth the effort. No real sense of community or or helping just a bunch of complaining about an acronym when nearly every other post in has at least a couple specific to scouting that are explained NO WHERE.

My expectations for this board were significantly different from how I expect the posters on FARK to act.