Pack Summer Activities

Our pack stays really busy in the summer. The dens still meet weekly and we still have a pack meeting/activity every month. For this summer we have our pack campout planned for the end of May, a bicycle rodeo for June, Raingutter Regatta in July and our pack kickoff is in August (we might make it into a swimming party). Other packs in the area have done Cubmobile derbies and we have considered trying that out too but we're not sure we'd have a good place to hold the racing.

While we stop having meetings during the summer, we still try to remain pretty active.

June we do a rocket build, then meet at a school to launch them. In July we march in a local 4th of July parade. This august we are going to do something this pack has never done before. go camping.

Usually we participate in our council's day camp (actually twightlight camp). some of the kids opt for resident camp instead. for some reason this year, the district tried really hard to not give us any info about the day camps. it was just our pack too. every time we inquired about the packets, they told us they are in our mailbox at the council office, but then never was.

So we are going to do our own weekend camp with a focus on the same kind of stuff done at day camp, obviously with the exception of archery. I know my son's den is going to do a funfest overnight at the council camp too for that kind of activity.

This year I hope we stick to our summer commitment (last year it kind of fell by the wayside after our campout in june). Hopefully we will:

- Have a campout in June (coincides with our crossover ceremony)

- Go for one or more hikes

- Go fishing

- Maybe plan a day camp (more likely a morning camp) for july

- A pool party would be nice

- An astronomy event (nice late evening/night event for hot summer weather)

I am sweating already, but looking forward to it.

Well, used to, our pack would get together over the summer fun days to play on a slip-n-slide at the CO, go hiking around the CO, or have a water baloon fight at the CO.

Typically, only one or two boys at most would show up ..if at all.

WOW! Could it be any duller? I mean, we live on the coast. Half our pack either lives on the intracoastal water way, or within 1 mile of it. Slip-N-Slide? Everybody line up and take a turn, so you can get in line again? Why not just jump in the pools that 1/3 of our scouts have at home or jump in the waterway, get dad to pull you on a wakeboard, swim at the beach... I mean, there is no competition.

So last year, I volunteered to take over running the summer fun day.

In June, we had a fishing tournamnet and cooked hotdogs afterwards. It was at a soundside park, so there were plenty of piers and boardwalks over the water's edge. Lots of flat green grass for those who got bored to run and play in, and of course, slides, climbing tower, swings, etc..

They had a blast.

July Fun Day, we went to Moorees Creek National Battlefield. Its free, had a great tour guide who "enlisted" the boys in the King's Army and we had fun while learning stuff. Period toys were brought out as well as non working( but original) black powder long rifles, french rifles, pistols and a stump cannon. Afterward we cooked hotdogs.

August: WEnt to the Battleship USS North Carolina BB-55 Just happend that they were celebrating "Blue and Gray Days" Lots of people in period dress and displays of working steam engines, models of every USS North Carolina from a raft to the modern submarine.

The boys climbed all over everything on the battle ship and had a blast.

Afterward, we went to a buffet pizza place.

So, I am not saying I myself did anything spectacular. The biggest reason for the sucess as compared to previous years was a fresh perspective. Do something fun, but keep it different than what you already did all year.

Granted, scouting is about all kinds of stuff, but for summer fun days..make the "fun" the main priority.

This summer, for June, we are going to a ball game as guests. WE are going to do the flag ceremony, pledge,and intro, and all scouts in uniform are getting in free. Parents and sibs get in for $4.00. Usual cost is $8.00 per person. They ( the ball club) are also shooting off fireworks that night!

July: I'm leaning towards bowling. Still working out details.

For August: WEll, I haven't even thought about August yet. :)

Right now I've got 7 official scheduled events for the Summer, just don't have the dates set. Worry about June, nah, I'm worrying about May right now with a Pack Recruiting carnival and our Family campout at the end of the month. :p

Here's what we've got planned out so far

1. Day Camp for our Tigers and Bears, Webelos resident Camp, This is the only we have hard scheduled.

2. Welcome Home a Hero- DFW International Airport is one of only two airports in the country, that is the main hub for soldiers coming home for R & R, or finishing their deployment in Iraq/Afghanastan. Usually, these warfighters had spent the previous 24-36 hrs catching flights to Germany, England, wherever. These flights that land here, are the first time these soldiers have touched American soil in at least a year. It is very inspiring and an honor to be able to go out there and welcome these soldiers, marines, airmen, and seamen home.

3.We'll do a movie night at our CO, make popcorn, show a movie on the wall

4.A geocaching event at one of the local parks. The boys have had a blast doing this before.

5. Minor League baseball game-It's cheap, It's fun, It's baseball!

6. Our annual bike Rodeo at our CO's parking lot. This always draws a good crowd, we end up recruiting a couple of boys from this event. Last year, we had a team from one of the local bike shops come out and do some demos for the families. Trick riding and so on.

7. End of Summer Pool Party- We take over one of the local pools for a night and just let the kids have fun in the water.

I've also got the BSA museum in Irving if I really need to pull something out of my back pocket.

I try and schedule at least 2 per month, in case a boy can't make one, then he can get to another. While we don't schedule den meetings, this works out for a relaxed atmosphere, and the boys get to see each other through the summer.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get all the leaders together for a "planning meeting" on the patio of one of the local watering holes! :) It's hard to plan when the band is playing!

Throughout the summer:

-Volunteer service (hour sessions) at local food pantry

End of May:

-Pack family camping

-Memorial day service

June:

-Cookout and campfire

-Semi-pro football game outing

July:

-Parade

-District camps

August:

-Minor league baseball game

-Movie night at a drive in theatre

Our Packs last Pack Mtg is scheduled for May 31st.

In June we have a Crossover ceremony at a City Park that has a large splash pad, a playground for elementary school kids and a playground for toddlers. We have an official ceremony, then the kids can play in the water or playground. An organized game of kick-ball and geocaching usually ensue and we finish it off with 20 or 30 minutes of garbage pick-up for Leave No Trace. We also have a camp-out at our cities Minor League baseball team, attend the game and camp-out on the field after the game.

July is our District's Residence Camp for Webelos & Cub Scouts. We usually have a Pack campout during a weekend as well. Our Pack has also sponsered a nearby City Park that we do a Saturday clean-up for Conservation & service awards.

August - we have a Pack Picnic which includes grilling out, games and crafts. We also have a booth at back to school night which the Cubbies & leaders man to help promote the Pack for Round-up.

(This message has been edited by dmillar71)

Campout in May before school lets out.

3 hikes June, July, and August

Conservation project invasive weed "smack-down".

Campout in August after school starts

Resident camp for Webelos and day camp for the cubs.

Look up Young Eagles online. It's a program run by the Experimantal Aircraft Association and takes kids flying. A couple years ago, I hooked up with them and we had our Pack Picnic at the local airport. Each scout and sibling got to take about a 20 minute flight and everyone had a great time. Due to having to move, we're not with that unit anymore, but they did the airport picnic again last year.

Absolutley the best and most exciting event ever. We had some leftover popcorn from our sales and each pilot got a can.

We're camping the first weekend in June, Day Camp is the only "official" thing, then we have something about every 2 weeks, but they're all stuff that's happening anyway:

Kids' Fishing Day at local fairgrounds

Local Festival

Concert in the Park

Local waterpark ($5 admission--it's tiny)

Oh, wait. I did schedule a "Camp IN" at the CO to break in anyone who's fearful of camping. But the church families would also be invited to pitch a tent with us.

Then a back to school event (also my son's birthday!) at a local swimming hole.

All totally optional, but a chance for the families and Cubbies to keep connected every couple of weeks. :0)