Activity Pins

I am a WEB II leader...in the last cpl of weeks I've had a parent turn in work for several AP's her son (a first year WEB II) has earned. The dates turned in for some of the pins reflect the pin was earned in one or two days. This seems fast to me as some of myself and my other scouts spent abt a month on each pin we earned. If the work is there I'm obligated to award the pin...but...I was just wanting to get others thoughts on this matter. Earning anything should be a process...learning...sharing..etc., I just think a day or two is a little fast to earn a Activity Pin.

Thanks

There are activity pins that can be earned in a long day or weekend. You did not tell us which ones but they do not all require the same effort. Some more info may help us give perspective.(This message has been edited by Hawkrod)

Webelos Den Leader here, anytime a parent signs off on an accomplishment for the Webelos Scout (other than the Religious Emblem) I ask for some supporting documents or subtly quiz the Cubby on what they learned.

For example, I had a Webelos do the Engineer reqt #2 (Floor Plan), the scout brought in the floor plan that he had done at home. Once I reviewed it, I signed off the reqt as complete in the book.

At the beginning of the year, I purchased a small 1" black binder that the boys keep all of their activity papers in, it makes it really easy to store the work as they complete it.

Hope this helps.

I spent 3+ years as a Webelos Den Leader. After my first year with my older sons Den, I made it clear that I had to approve all of the badges myself to my younger sons Den. I only delegated Family Member Activity Badge to the Parents that was the only Activity Badge I allowed them to sign the Handbook for. If a Scout missed doing all or part of the activity badge in a Den meeting, they had to complete the missing requirements, in writing, in the workbooks available on the US Scouting Service project site. When the Scouts turned them in, I spent a few minutes with the Scout discussing the requirements completed. Outwardly, I spent the time praising the Scout for their work, but I was also making sure they actually did what they said. Since the Scouts completed the workbooks themselves, it was pretty clear they had done the work and then I signed-off their handbooks.

If they do the work in one day (which is certainly managable on several of the activity badges), more power to them.

It's also possible that the requirements were met by the scout participating in a different program and were entered all at the same time. My son recently earned Sportsman. He did swimming at scout camp, basketball through a winter sports programs, volley ball and golfing during pack meetings, etc. I didn't go back and look up dates but entered the date I recorded everything. It would be challenging to do that activity pin in one week, but it looks like he did.

A brief chat with the parent usually clears everything up. And if the boy didn't do the work, do you have a plan of action.

One comment I haven't seen here is this:

Webelos isn'ty like the other cub scout ranks.

You DO NOT have to accept anything a parent signs off on. Matter of fact, in a way similar to Boy Scouts earning Merit Badges, parents "CAN" be approved by the den leader to act as activity pin councelors..in which case they can sign off on the activity.

But the key thing here is this: You still determine that.

Now, I had planned ( before becoming CM after training for Webelos DL ))that certain things would be better signed off by mom or dad than to have me do it:

Traveler, Family Member, and WEbelos Badge requirement's 8-D and any of 8-E.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't let parents sign off on anything or that you should have an " Iron Fist death Grip of Control" over signing off, but...

I am sayinmg, you do not have to just accept a parents sign off as you did in Tigers, Wolves, and Bears.

This leads to the next step - Boy Scouts where ..if you are not the SM ( or ASM) , an SM approved signer or a Council approved MB Counselor ( camp MB staff) ...then a signature don't mean squat!

It ispossible to earn some pins in 2 days, but the final call is yours.

EDITED TO ADD:

My comments are based on the last paragraph , page 10 of the Webelos Handbook:

"When I Tiger Cub, Wolf Cub, Scout, or Bear Cub Scout completes requirements, a parent or guardian signs his book. When a Webelos Scout completesrequirements, he takes his book to the Webelos den leader oa an adult *DESIGNATED* as the activity badge counselor( often this is the parent or guardian of a WEbelos Scout). For projects that are done at home or with family and are not easily transportable, the parent or guardian still may be *ASKED* to appove the Webelos Scout's completion of an activity badge requirement.

Emphasis mine(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Per the opening poster - this is NOT about a parent signing off on Webelos work. The parent turned in their Scouts badgework to the Webelos den leader for the DEN LEADER to approve it, and sign it off.

Pvtjoker - If the work is there, and the requirements have been completed, you are correct that you should award the activity badge.

Remember, den meetings are only about one hour each. What might take 2-3, one hour den meetings, to complete, can easily be done at home in 1-2 days, especially if those days were over a weekend when the Scout could put in most of the day working on them.

1) My son and I work on Scout stuff kind of the same way we keep our house. For example, when the laundry hamper is full to overflowing, we designate a "Laundry Night!" and the whole evening is caring for our clothes. Likewise, we HAVE spent long stretches of time filling in gaps in his Wolf book.

We have to drive about 100 miles for him to visit his dad; we have had a lot of those "A" chapter discussions while driving. "Talk about Courage...Discuss Responsibility," etc... And as was mentioned, some of the Pin stuff can be done more easily than others.

I'm just saying it's *possible* to crank stuff out in larger chunks if you work the way I do, in bursts.

2) This site is teaching me A LOT about how to proceed in the next few years! We're at the end of the Scout year; you may not be able to decide "all of a sudden" to start screening requirements a different way, but you can sure start next year!

I also realize that I'm REALLY *not* going to be able to continue to be both DL and CM for my son. I think I can manage the Bears while being CM, but I have GOT to find a Web leader by the end of next season.