Ok Ann,

I tried the private message thing. There's no way to attach files. I read the instructions and they said that PM was for messages unrelated to Scouting and that if it was general interest to go ahead and post it in the forums. I don't want to hijack SF's post, so I'm starting a spin-off thread called "ceremonies".

BTW, we cross-over Webelos at a different time than the rest of the boys. So I'm going to put the different ceremonies in seperate posts. I'll throw in our AOL ceremony too, just in case you need it.

I have stolen bits and peices of several different sources onthe net and in books and cobbled thses together, so if your doing research already, you've probably seen parts of this already.

Cheers

Crossover Ceremony

Cub Master

Introduction

Scouting in the United States began after an American tourist was assisted in the London fog by a boy identifying himself as a Scout. That tourist was William Boyce, and in 1910, he was assisted by Scoutings original founding father, Lord Baden-Powell, to form the Boy Scouts of America. Originally designed for boys over the age of 12younger boys were drawn to the program and in 1934 Cub Scouting began.

Scoutings ranks have changed very little over the years. They were inspired by the characters in The Jungle Book written by Baden-Powells good friend, Rudyard Kipling. In the story, two wolves find a man-cub being hunted by a tiger. They take in the boy and raise him as one of their own. The wolf pack is led by Akela, and the boy is soon befriended by a bear and a black panther. You can easily see the ranks of Tiger, Bobcat, Wolf and Bear in the story.

Webelos Den Leader

Tonight we are pleased to have you here to congratulate this years Scouts on their achievements and advancements as well as welcome new scouts to the program. Our current Webelos are on hand to help with the ceremony, as they will continue in Webelos until near the end of the first semester next school year when they will crossover into Boy Scouting.

Webelos Scout

We want to welcome any Kindergarten boys who wish to enter Cub Scouting as Tiger Cubs at this time. All future Tiger Cubs and their parents are invited to come forward now.

******** All new boys come to the front with their parents. Parents wait for their boy at the end of the bridge. Boys are on the left side (from the audience) of the bridge.

Cub Master

Is it your wish to become Tiger Cub Scouts? To search, discover and share as stated in the Tiger Motto? (Encourage them to answer Yes)

Parents, when your boy becomes part of our Pack, you also become part of the Pack. You will be joining in the adventure both as participant and as Akela. He will require much help and support and the strength of the Pack will depend on the support of each of you. Is it your intention for your boy to join the pack?

You have come to be inducted into our Cub Scout family as members of pack 120. You are ready to start your adventure along Akelas trail. You see on the uniforms of the older boys the badges that you will earn: the Bobcat, the Tiger, the Wolf, the Bear, the Webelos Badge and eventually, Cub Scoutings Highest Award, the Arrow of Light. These are the waypoints along the trail. The parts of Cub Scouting that dont show are the values and skills you will learn and the good times you will have.

If you are ready, please cross over the bridge one by one into Tiger Cub Scouting and don your Tiger Cub Kerchief.

******** Boys cross over and are hooded by their parent.

Cub Master:

You are now officially Tiger Cubs in Pack 120. (Applause)

(To the audience): before you are the new Tiger Cubs. They are just beginning on the trail towards the Arrow of Light and beyond that Boy Scouting. As they move forward from here, they must learn and abide by the Cub Scout Promise, and the Law of the Pack. They stand with much enthusiasm on the first step of the advancement trail. As they traverse this path, they will gain knowledge, skills, and abilities they might not otherwise. They will grow as citizens and create memories that will last their lifetime as they forge lasting friendships.

(To the tigers): boys, take your position in the pack, and receive the light of the Tiger den. You are now the stewards of this flame. May it light your path and may you keep it burning brightly.

*********Current Tiger lights new Tiger candle with his own and extinguishes his candle

Tiger Den Leader

The current Tigers are ready to become Wolves. They have learned the Cub Scout Promise, The Law of the Pack and the Cub Scout Sign and Motto. These will guide them along the Cub Scouting trail. They have been intrepid in Searching, Learning and Discovering. They have all previously earned their Bobcat Badge and all of them have done the necessary good deed required to turn it over.

Will all Tiger Cubs and their parents please come forward at this time? Tigers, is it your wish to become Wolves? (Encourage them to answer Yes)

Cub Master:

Tigers, please join me in the Cub Scout sign, and say the Cub Scout Promise. (I (name) promise to do my best, to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people and to obey the law of the pack.) Do you wish to follow Akela down the trail to Wolf, and will you help the pack go? If so, answer, we will. Since you have shown you are worthy of the Bobcat, and you have all worked hard to earn your Tiger Cub Badge, You will shortly cross over into the Wolf Den. (Parents directed to the other side of the bridge to receive their Scout)

(To the audience): The boys you see before you have spent the year growing and developing in their identity as Cub Scouts. They are no longer the rookies. In many ways, through sheer enthusiasm and earnest effort, they have turned the tables and shone forth an example of good scouting to the other members and leaders of the Pack. While no longer the new blood, they will undoubtedly be a source of energy and inspiration to keep the scout promise and motto every day in all that we do. They will be developing the necessary aspects of leadership throughout the coming year

Now, cross over the bridge to receive your Wolf scarf.

********Boys cross over one at a time and Parents change their kerchiefs to Wolf kerchiefs

Cub Master:

Congratulations. You are now a bobcat on the Wolf trail. (Applause)

Wolves, assume your new position in the Pack and receive the light of the Wolf Den.

******** Current Wolf lights new wolfs candle and extinguishes his own.

You now have the responsibility to keep the flame of the Wolf burning brightly. May it always light your path.

Wolf Den Leader:

Wolves, please come forward with your parents. (Direct the Wolf Cubs to one side of the bridgeparents to the other side.)

The Cub Scout Motto is, Do your best. The Wolf Cub Scouts have consistently lived up to this motto. They have completed 12 achievements in reaching the rank of wolf and earning the Wolf badge. These require knowledge of the flag of our great nation, of keeping strong in body and mind, of tools, of knots, of safety, of his neighborhood and community and of books and learning.

They have mastered several feats of skill, started a collection, and shown a willingness to take part in family responsibilities and help in their homes.

Cub Master

You have completed the achievements for the Wolf badge.

Do you wish to continue down the trail into the den of the Bear and to continue to help the Pack go? If so, answer I do.

Since you have shown that you are worthy of the Wolf Rank, you will shortly cross over into the Bear den. Please make the Cub Scout sign and join me in the Cub Scout promise: I Promise.

(To the audience): These boys have truly grown in responsibility and leadership. They will be working towards the rank of Webelos Scout. Our Pack will be well served by their membership and stewardship as they continue to take on more and more roles of leadership and serve as a constant example of what makes a good Cub Scout to the younger boys. The leaders and I have every confidence that they will be dependable in every way. Hence, they will be called on time and again to demonstrate the Cub Scout Motto: Do Your

Best!

Now, cross over the bridge to receive your Wolf Badge and Bear scarf.

********Boys cross over one at a time and Parents change their kerchiefs to Bear kerchiefs

Cub Master:

Congratulations. You are now on the Bear trail. (Applause)

Bears, assume your new position in the Pack and receive the light of the Bear Den.

******** Current Bear lights new Bears candle and extinguishes his own.

Bear Den Leader:

Will the Bears please come forward with their parents? (Direct the Bear Cubs to one side of bridgeparents to the other side.)

You have learned that the challenges of Cub Scouting become more difficult with each step. The Bear Scout reaches this rank by completing 12 increasingly difficult achievements that show that he is growing in knowledge and skill. The bear Cub Scout should be proud to have completed more than half of the advancement trail on his journey to Boy Scouting. It has been an adventurous yet challenging path. I am proud to present these boys for advancement into Webelos!

Cub Master:

You have completed the achievements for the Bear badge.

Do you wish to continue down the trail into the den of the Webelos and to continue to help the Pack go? If so, answer I do.

Since you have shown that you are worthy of the Bear Rank, you will shortly cross over into the Webelos den. Please make the Cub Scout sign and join me in the Cub Scout promise: I Promise.

(To the audience): We all experience choices in our lives and must decide the best path to follow.

These boys made choices as they selected which requirements to complete. They have proven themselves to be good Scouts. I have had the privilege of being the Cub Master during their entire career as scouts. I have interacted on many activities and campouts with these boys and am truly proud to promote each and every one of them to the final stage of the Cub Scout rank structure.

In this Pack, I look to the Webelos to be the true embodiment of the proper Cub Scout. They are called on to handle the US Flag in most official functions. I expect the utmost in leadership and decorum in and out of uniform from each Webelos Scout. While they are learning, they must still be held to account and every member of our pack should be able to count on the Webelos to live the scout law and motto in every aspect of their lives. I have every confidence that these boys will live up to that charge.

(To the boys):

You have now earned the honor of joining Webelos.

Now, cross over the bridge to receive your Bear Badge and Webelos scarf.

********Boys cross over one at a time and Parents change their kerchiefs to Webelos kerchiefs

Cub Master:

Congratulations. You are now on the Webelos trail. (Applause)

Webelos, assume your new position in the Pack and receive the light of the Webelos Den.

******** Current Webelo lights new Bears candle. (His own remains lit).

Webelos Den Leader

Will our current Webelos Scouts stand here at the front please? These Scouts are at various places in their advancement and will be asked to complete some requirements on their own this summer to prepare for their final steps toward earning their Arrow of Light and advancing into Boy Scouting next year.

(I would like to present the following Webelos with their most recent achievements.)

Cub Master:

Candle bearers, front and center.

(To the audience): Before you are the lights of our Pack. The candles are merely a representation of the light that shines forth from each boy.

See how they shine. The rays from several scouts make a brighter light. Each scout lets his light shine by doing his best and helping other people. Together, the light within each boy provides the light of the dens. The dens lights together provide the light for the entire pack.

********Together the boys light the center candle.

Observe this larger candle. It is the light of the Pack. It represents many things and is kept bright by each of us. It serves as a reminder that there is a brighter light that leads us all. Let us always think first of God, second of others and finally of ourselves.

Thank you all for your support of Scouting programs throughout the year, and thank you for being here tonight and thank you Scouts, for all of your hard work in all of the ranks.

Well dismiss after retiring the Colors. Please Stand

WEBELOS X-OVER:

WEBELOS Cross-Over Ceremony

Cubmaster (CM):

WEBELOS leaders, please lead your Den one last time to the crosss-over bridge

[leaders and scouts assemble @ the bridge]

CM:

Leaders: are these boys ready to become Boy Scouts?

DEN LEADERS (DL):

Yes

CM:

Have they been prepared for the road ahead?

DL:

Yes

CM:

Are they prepared to walk the road without your leadership?

DL:

Yes

CM:

Then, Den Leaders, it is with much pride and respect for the job you have done in leading, teaching and mentoring these boys, that I relieve you of your duties. Stand Down and make way for the boys to follow the path you have put them on. May they never forget the lessons they have learned and may they ever hold you in the highest esteem.

Boys: you stand @ the precipice of a fantastic adventure! The bridge before you leads to the future. This bridge is a symbol of your crossing from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting.

A bridge is a structure carrying a pathway or roadway over a depression. It is a means of connection or transition from one side to another...as this bridge represents how our Pack is connected to the Troop. And it represents that even though you will leave forever the Pack and Cub Scouting, part of who you are and become will be tied to your time here. And also that this Pack will ever be shaped by the mark you left here. As a symbol of that mark, the last official act as a Cub Scout will be to write your name on the bridge itself as a reminder to those who follow in your footsteps, that you were once where they stand.

When it is your turn, you will be holding the candle lit from the flame used in all our ceremonies. It has lit your path for five years and will continue to light the way for the Pack. It symbolizes God who watches over us all and is the light of the world. It also burns bright for truth and goodness that resides in the heart of all Scouts. You will be guided by the flame of Boy Scouting, but it was lit from the same fire and while your times in the Troop will be different and the world will seem more vast, the flame and what it represents will not change.

As your name is called, please turn and hand the eternal flame of Pack 120 to the WEBELOS scout directly behind you. You are at the pinnacle of Cub Scouting! And as such you must cross the bridge with the smell of that fire still in your noses.

Hopefully the steps you now take are only the beginning and that we are all witnessing your first important steps leading to the Eagle Scout award. And when you get to that ultimate pinnacle of all scouting, myself and your Den leaders pledge that if you ask us, we will go wherever you may be to witness that wonderful occasion.

[call the boys forward one by one to sign and cross the bridge and be re-kerchiefed as Boy Scouts]

AOL:

Arrow of Light Ceremony

****In a dark room. Lit by one light aimed at the dais****

Cubmaster (CM):

Tonight, our Pack has the special privilege of witnessing several of our brothers be awarded the Arrow of Light!

The Arrow of light is the highest award that a Cub Scout can earn. It is estimated that nationally, less than 5 percent of boys who enter Cub Scouts earn this highly sought after award. This is so prestigious, that the Arrow of light is the only rank that is authorized to be carried forward and worn on the Boy Scout uniform. In fact, the Arrow of Light is the only Cub Scout award that can be worn on the uniform of an adult leader. If these boys become leaders in Scouting when they grow up, they can wear a special square knot patch, like this one, that denotes their achievement as a Cub Scout.

It takes a great deal of work and dedication to earn the Arrow of light, far more than all the other rank advancements and assorted other awards earned during your years as a Cub Scout. The Webelos we will honor tonight had to earn at least eight of the twenty possible Webelo activity pins. They had to learn the Boy Scout promise, motto and law. They had to visit a Troop meeting or camp-out and learn about the ranks and uniforms in Boy Scouts.

It is a great honor to recognize these young men. Please show respect for their achievement by remaining silent during the ceremony.

Arrow of light candidates: please join me at the center of the Pack.

These boys have risen to this, the highest peak of Cub Scouting. It has taken 4 years. They started out just like you Tigers. I remember them all those years ago. They were bright eyed and excited. Everything was new to them and they were eager to learn the ropes. They first learned the Cub Scout sign, motto and promise on their way to earning their Bobcat badge.

Then, they searched, discovered and shared (the Tiger Cub motto) all year long on the way to earning their tiger Cub Badge.

The next year, they completed the twelve steps necessary to earn their Wolf Badge.

After that, they had to conquer the twelve harder steps on the way to earning their Bear badge and join the Webelos Den.

All along the way, the path became steeper and more difficult to follow, but they persevered. As Webelos, they had to make some decisions. Earning the Arrow of Light requires commitment. A Scout does not have to earn it. They could have sat back and taken the easy way out. They could have just had fun and enjoyed themselves, but they didnt. They decided to try to reach the top of the mountain. They dug down deep and relied on the Cub Scout motto: Do Your Best.

I am proud of them. We should all be proud of them and you boys who are not yet ready to stand for the Arrow of Light should be inspired to follow in their footsteps. These boys are setting the best example. Thats what leadership is, and they have it. The Pack has been improved by their presence and it will be missed when they cross over into Boy Scouts.

Boys: before I confer upon you the Arrow of light, I want to discuss the symbolism behind it.

If you look at the arrow of light it seems pretty simple. There is an arrow with a sun rising over it. However, every element has a deeper meaning.

First, look at the arrow. An arrow is an ancient weapon. It is a tool for protecting and providing. In order to be effective, it must fly straight and true. It must have a sharp point to achieve its ends.

Look at the fletching. Without feathers, the arrow would not be able to fly straight and would not hit its intended target. On the Arrow of Light, there are three feathers. These represent the Family, the Pack and the Scout himself who have all worked together to keep the scout flying straight and true to his mark.

The shaft of the arrow represents several things. On a real arrow, the shaft provides all the strength and also points the way toward the target. On the Arrow of Light, the shaft symbolizes the straight and narrow path that the Scout must remain on to reach his goals. The Shaft of the Arrow of Light also signifies strength. The scout must head down the path and remain strong to resist things that would make him stray from his target.

On an ancient arrow, the arrowhead was lashed to the shaft with sinew. This lashing represents the friendship and brotherhood that has bound us together.

The arrowhead also represents several things. Without a hard sharp arrowhead, the arrow is not a very effective weapon. On the Arrow of Light, the arrowhead symbolizes the hardness and sharpness that you have developed as a Scout that will prepare you to face lifes challenges. The arrowhead also points the direction forward, to the Scouts future. It points the way toward Boy Scouts and the ultimate achievement found there, the Eagle Scout Badge. On a real arrow, the tip must be continuously maintained at a razors edge so that it will be always ready. This symbolism serves as a caution to remain ever sharp. Always ready.

The sun over the arrow symbolizes the light that shines on all we do. This should be a reminder to be a light to those around you. The sun is rising, which signifies a new beginning; a beginning full of constant new challenges provided by Scouting and Life itself.

The rays coming from the sun have several meanings as well. There are seven rays, which denote the seven days of the week. This should be a reminder to do your best every day.

Each ray also represents the seven virtues that the Scout should follow to lead to a happy and fulfilling life.

The first ray represents Wisdom. Having wisdom does not mean that one is smarter than others, but that he uses what he knows to live a better life.

The second ray represents Courage. Courage does not mean that you have no fear. It means that you can face challenges despite your fear.

The third ray represents Self Control. Self Control means being able to stop when you have had enough of something and being able to choose your own path instead of merely following others.

The Fourth ray represents Justice. Justice means being fair with others we play and work with, regardless of who they are.

The fifth ray represents Faith. Faith includes belief in God, and in things we cannot see, but believe to be true.

The sixth ray represents Hope. Hope means to look forward to good things you believe will happen. You hope for better things tomorrow, but at the same time you work hard today to make them happen.

The seventh ray represents Love. There are many kinds of love. Love of family, home, fellow men, God, and country and most importantly, the love God has for each of us. Every kind of love is important for a full and happy life.

In Boy Scouts, when they have an Eagle Court of Honor, a challenge is made to the new Eagle Scout. Tonight, I want to offer such a challenge to each of you. You have achieved the highest rank in Cub Scouts. You have shown what you are capable of doing.

I challenge each of you to continue to live by the ideals you have learned in Cub Scouts, especially the Cub Scout motto: 'DO YOUR BEST'.

I challenge you to always keep the memory of your brothers here alive by always following the Pack motto: GO HARD in all you do.

I challenge each of you to continue your high level of achievement in Boy Scouts.

I challenge each of you to look at the Arrow of Light badge and think about what it represents. Know that if you keep this in mind and live your life by these ideals, you will go far.

Last, I challenge each of you to soar to great heights and obtain the Eagle Scout Award.

At this point I would like to invite the parents of these Scouts to come and stand behind them.

Webelos leaders: have these young men fulfilled the requirements of the Arrow of light?

Webelos leaders (WL):

They have.

CM:

Then I would like to present them with the awards they have rightfully earned.

Parents, as you have risen through the ranks with your boy and have been instrumental in their achieving this award, I will present the badge to you and have you pin it on your Scout.

Your Den Leader will then give you a special memento of your achievement. It is an authentic Indian arrow. This arrow is made in the ancient ways and has all of the elements mentioned. This arrow is something that you can keep and display always. Hopefully it will always remind you that you are an Arrow of Light holder and what that means.

**** read the names one by one and hand the award **** **** to the parent, then wait for pictures with the boy **** **** and parents *****

Awesomesauce!

I read a similar one, somewhere, and was planning to adapt it to our situation. This one is wonderfully complete from T-W.

You have to understand that I'm reading the ceremony, while picturing the whole thing in my back yard, and thinking, "The audience should be over there...one fire there...the other fire there..."

I think it will work beautifully, thanks!