Discipline problem

No problem; I appreciate the input! I tend to write books, myself. :0)

I've seen those little square coins on the scoutstuff website; that's a neat idea! We *almost* decided to give those out as gifts at Blue and Gold; I'm glad we changed our minds--I like the "get caught being awesome" idea.

You've articulated a lot of what I've been thinking--that I want him to succeed, etc... I think the part that IS the most dreaded will be articulating all of this to Grandma.

I'm meeting with the other Pack leader parent tonight; I need to make sure he understands we're not just out to indict the boy. We don't want her to feel attacked or shunned, etc...

Again, thanks for your words; I searched "cubmaster forum" because I KNEW there had to be one, and I figured y'all would have the best insights.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I met with the Committee member/Bear dad/other Pack leader guy last night. Turns out I wasn't exaggerating (I didn't really think that I was, but there's always that doubt).

Several of the parents commented to him, too, over our camp out that it would have been a very enjoyable time... except for that one boy coming unhinged and his grandmother barking at him all the time.

Two of the dads told BOTH of us that they really WANT to be involved, but the behavior of this one boy is so grating, that they struggle with wanting to continue.

This Committee guy/Bear parent HIMSELF said that he wouldn't come to the rest of the Pack stuff this year, except that he'd leave me high and dry without another Trained leader (I don't count the grandma, even though she's 'trained' because she so often is distracted by her boy as to be rendered unhelpful).

So.

We cobbled together a presentation to take place next Thur (the soonest we could both meet when the UC could be there). And one of the interesting things to come out of the conversation was something I want to bring up in another thread.

:0)

I'll keep y'all posted how that meeting goes. I'm looking forward to it like root canal, but I'm committed to doing what's best.

Sorry, that's not until NEXT week. On the one hand, we have to suffer through another Pack meeting with him.

On the other hand, the fact that he WILL be in the next Pack meeting will likely provide some up-to-the-minute evidence of his disruptive nature.

I shall let you all know how it goes! :0)

Good luck next Thursday. My only advice, and I'm sure you already know this, is to make sure that you've got your plan fairly well thought out. You know what you're going to say, and you know what outcome you want. You can adjust as the conversation moves on, but for difficult meetings like this, I've found it's no fun to try to come up with all of the right words on the fly.

Now, about this...

Adopt me.

You are one of the most refreshing new posters to this forum in awhile. You are confident and open and you write with the kind of descriptive phrasing that gives us a pretty good sense of what you're going through. You don't get defensive when people make suggestions. Your questions are those that any new leader might ask, and have garnered lots of good responses. Plus you're funny.

So...I'm not sure exactly what it might mean, but I'd be happy to adopt you.

Awwww...thanks, Oak!! Call me Acorn. ;0)

I have found that (almost) anything can be more easily managed if you can find the humor in it!

"Blessed is she who has learned to laugh at herself, for she shall never cease to be entertained."

I like it here. Thank you for your kind words.

HALF-UPDATE:

The problem boy's grandma was sick last night, so they did not come to Pack meeting.

Guess how the evening went?*

* It was a joy. It was how Pack meetings should have been all year. ~sigh~