I am looking to learn more about what a Den Chief does within a den and any advice for Cub Leaders on working with Den Chiefs. Your experience and advice is what I am looking forward to reading. Our pack has three new Den Chiefs so any information will be appreciated.

I'll give you an off-kilter answer.

My pack hasn't had a den chief since who knows when.

One night, I asked the troop at our CO if he or any of the scouts were interested in providing a Den Cheif to our pack.

WEll, the next week, a scout showed up to be a den Chief. He started working in our Tiger den.

I asked the accompaning ASM if I needed to fill out any paperwork or what not, and he said the troop handled it all.

That was 4 months ago. This is what I can tell you:

I have no idea what he does. None whatsoever.

But I know the Tiger Cubs love him. The DL and the two ADL's love him. He seems to be enjoying it. The Tiger DL said it makes hhis job 100 percent easier.

The DL also said he would realy like to have a den chief next year too, as did one of the ADL's who is going to run his own den next year.

From the 1st edition of the "Den Chief's Denbook" comes one of the best answers, and it deals with the "relations" of the Den Chief:

- With his boys: To be their leader and friend - not just their boss.

- With their Denner: To train and use him as a valued helper and young leader.

- With their Den Mother: To help plan and be an adult associate in Den responsibilities.

- With their parents: A joint, friendly, helping relation; should "know" each other.

- With their neighborhood: To fit into it happily and helpfully.

- With their Cubmaster: To seek advise and suggestions and give cooperation.

- With the other Dens: To cooperate and perhaps to compete some toward excellence.

- With the Pack Committee: To know them and cooperate with them through the Cubmaster.

- With the Sponsoring Institution: To effectively lead its boys and maintain a happy relation with it.

When I was Cubmaster (some 30+ years ago) I had a great set of Den Chiefs and they were a great help to my Den Leaders. If they weren't helpful, well, then they were replaced. (Politely, with their unit leader.)

We have two that sort of "float" between Dens as needed. A simple answer as to what they "do" is: Anything I need them to do. Mine don't come to every meeting, however they are at most. The boys love them, the DLs love them, *I* love them! LOL

They help set up/take down, they help with events, they set up tents for families at campouts, they help prepare snacks/meals, they answer Boy Scout type questions for Cub families, they keep order in meetings, and anything else we need. Don't know what I'd do without them!

These two have made such an impression that MY son (who is a WI) asked me if he could come back and be a Den Chief after he's been in the Troop for a while. :-)

DCs are a very tender subject for me right now since I had to give mine up to the Webelos since they needed someone with extensive camping expereince when their old DL left. :(

A good DC is worth their weight in PLATINUM, and if utilized correctly are a great asset. they have the outdoor KSAs that some Cub leaders haven't developed yet, they cubs worship the ground they walk on, and they can be an asset in programing if you use their strengths.

Man I miss my DC.

Wow! These are all exceptional responses to my question. I am really happy we have new Den Chiefs now. Especially since he is going to the Tiger den where the Den Leader is motivated, but still pretty new.

Keep 'em comin', I'm lernin' a lot!

Den Chief responsibilities -

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/AboutCubScouts/ThePack/csdcf.aspx

I would recommend that the Den Chief, and his den leader, attend your council's Den Chief training together. At the very least they should both take the online Den Chief training -

http://scouting.org/Training/Youth/DenChefTraining.aspx

When I was a den leader, I had 2 den chiefs. Only one went to training at Pow=Wow. My problem was either giving him jobs that was over his head, or not enogh. Needless to say, it did not work out very well.

A few years ago, I was asked to serve on the Pow-Wow stearing committee. From my suggestion, we had a class created "How To Use A Den Chief" This mirrored the Den Chief Training class that was also held. My goal was to prevent a young boy scout taking the training, getting all excited to do the job, and show up, and being to sit in the corner by the Den Leader, becouse they did not know how to do with him. From what I have heard, this has worked out.

Brian hit on a key part, DLs need to know how to utilize their DCs. When I was a DC, I worked with three DLs. One treated me like a CS, and at the end of the school year I switched to another den. 2nd DL let me do things and worked with me, but the 3rd DL, a WDL, let me run a lot of the meetings and activities that had an outdoor emphasis.

Some of the things I did with my ex-DC were the follwoing

1) gave him the link to the Den and Pack Resource book so he can print out his copy of lesson plans.

2) See what activities he felt comfortable doing, and letting him in charge.

3) using his Scouting contacts to help with den, and pack actvities. (My DC was also an OA dancer, and we had some chapter dancers come out first toa den meeting, then by popular demand, redo the den meeting for the pack.)

Thanks again for the info! The requirement we placed on the Den Chiefs is to at least do the no-line training and have the pack hold a copy of the certificate. So far they feel really involved and seem to be taking the Den Chief position pretty serious.

Next, the local District is conducting Council wide training for Den Chiefs in a month. I have encouraged the Den Leaders, new Den Chiefs and their parents to attend. That way the three major parties get together, meet and know each other while learning about how to work together. I hope that works out!

Thanks for the links, I forwarded them on to the Den Leaders and Chiefs. It seems very obvious that I could have found the info on Scouting.org, but I missed it. That is why I am asking for help.

Great stories too! Lessons from experience are priceless.

You are right. I have spoken to the Scout Master and have told him that a report will be sent to him every couple of weeks from the Den Leader about his performance and progress. That was a condition stipulated by the Scout Master.

Let me know if there is any formal process concerning the reports so that we can do it right from the beginning.

There's no standard formal process. The troop may have one, but I doubt it. Just let the SM know if your DC is showing up at the den and pack meetings or calling you in a timely fashion if he can't make it.

If some real positive synergism is happening between the DC and your boys, let the SM know that too. It might help determine the lad's next position of responsibility.

Oh, and as a former den chief, it really meant a lot when the DL came up many years later and thanked me for helping her boys.

(*weeps softly into coffee mug*) I want a Den Chief! :0)

I asked our Scoutmaster about that; he laughed and said, "I only have 3 boys. I'm hoping you'll BRIDGE me some more Boy Scouts SOON, and then I'll have Den Chief for you!"

When I was the Tiger leader last year, one of the boys (who since moved away) had an older brother who was a Web1 in a different Pack (he went with his dad in dad's town, the Tiger came with mom in our town).

I'm sure it didn't count for anything official for him, but when his mom had to bring him along to Tiger meetings, I treated him like a DC, and he was wonderful!