Monday Morning Quarterbacking...

OK-

So, I am the CM for a fairly active pack of about 40 boys. Been CM for 3 years now after a 1 yr stint as Tiger DL. I've been actively "looking" for my replacement for about 1 year.

I have a very good freind of mine (Bear DL) who has two boys in the pack, one a Bear, the other a Tiger this year. Mine son is a WebI and will likely be ready to bridge by early 2012 as the den will all be finished with AOL by then.

I had another dad in the Tiger den approach me about being the next CM for the pack. He is a level headed guy and other than being a bit quiet, will do a good job.

In talking with the Bear DL, he states," Are you sure He's going to be OK? He's quiet, etc..." and goes on to tell me that there have been meeting time issues in the past due to this guy's work schedule.

I'm probably a bit sensitive on the subject, but at this I replied (not very scouty) that, "Well, there wasn't really a huge f'ing candidate pool to draw from adn I've been looking for someone to VOLUNTEER for a year now."

Must be time for me to take a break from leadership, B/C I'm sick of working to find leaders, then have others (who didn't step up into a larger role) question my "choice" of my replacement! Its not like this job pays 100K a year with benefits and I have multiple resumes on Monster.com to pour over.

This is the ONLY guy that even took on the challenge to put his name in the hat, we haven't even transitioned and I have a DL questioning if he's the right guy for the job ?!?!?

Can't wait until my boy ages out and I can hang back as a "helper" ASM for awhile... I just want the pack to do well, as I have a younger boy coming up in 2 years and I'd rather not re-invent the unit from the ground up for him - I'd like to see a healthy functioning pack still in place, but I have my worries - based on the second-guessing already taking place amongst adult leaders.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't get paid enough to put up with crap like this... so tired of no / little input until a decision is made, then everyone wants to debate the merits of the selection.

What have you done / or how have any of you approached this type of situation in the past?

Dean

We don't wait around for someone to volunteer. Tigers might be graduating from college before someone stepped up.

The Pack's leadership decides who we feel will do the best job. Then we ask them one on one. If the first one says no thanks, we go on to the next best on the list. This has never failed us yet.

Wow! Tough one!

I agree in that you don't want a quiet guy being CM..at least not during Pack meetings where he neds to e spontaneous, loud, boisterous and also, he nees to perform for the boys- not the parents. Gotta get the boys excited and let them burn off energy.

But yeah, if nobody else volunteers or bothers to step up, what else can you do.

ASk the Bear DL if he can either find a better CM or if he wants to step up himself.

Yeah, I have to agree with SP.

My original plans for this year was to be a Webelos Den Leader. But our CM was getting burned out and along with the CC and COR, asked me to become the next CM.

Now, I never would have volunteered. Truth be told, I am the last person I would have asked to do it. If I had to rate me , I would have given myself a big thumbs down.

Well, I guess I would have ben wrong. It seems that the entire leadership thinks I am doing great and have stepped things up a notch and have brought fun back to the meetings.

Shocked mysellf too. (I was soo worried about screwing it all up.

I guess it sunk in when I would see the boys at various places around town and they run up to give me a high five or just want to talk. Parents tell me that their Cubs think I am great and enjoy pack meetings again.

The ultimate compliment? I had a dad tell me that his Tiger Cub went home and tried to teach his younger sister a song I made up becase he likd it so much.

Point is: I never would have given it a seconds thought to asking me to be the CM.

So I guess I will retract what I said about the quiet guy. He might be one of the greatest CM's your pack ever has.

And I still get nervous before every pack meeting!

Yes, you will have better luck, and results, asking the person who you think is best for the job. But you have someone, give him a try.

Regarding:

Sorry for the rant, but I don't get paid enough to put up with crap like this... so tired of no / little input until a decision is made, then everyone wants to debate the merits of the selection.

What have you done / or how have any of you approached this type of situation in the past?

Number one, as CM, I accept no complaints regarding the work any volunteer does. If there are any complaints I hand them a complaint form (the adult volunteer form) and state there is a $15 filing fee. (Ok, I do field legitimate complaints, but you get the idea.)

Number 2, by this point after a few years in the program, anyone knows that if they come to me with an idea, suggestion, etc., it becomes their idea/suggestion to run with.

1- Being quiet, when you are not yet in a leadership position, is a desirable character trait. I have a few parents that I wish would be quiet.

2- Being quiet offstage does not mean that the volunteer will not be dynamic onstage.

3- You can always give this person a 'try-out' by having him help you run a pack meeting. I like the tag-team concept. One person prepping while the other presents - no down time for the audience.

4- I'd recommend getting your replacement from Tiger or Wolf parents, so the pack doesn't have to start looking for their next CM right away.

Another vote here not to discount the quiet guy. Willingness to learn, enthusiasm, desire to improve, and willingness to step outside his comfort zone can result in a great cubmaster.

It brings back memories of my first pack meeting as cub master. After the meeting, my wife told me that the woman she was sitting next to said to her "Where did they find this guy?". In a not so complimentary tone. I did get better as soon as I figured out that the boys had more fun the more they were involved, so each month I gave each den responsibility for a skit, song, run-on, or opening.

Help the quiet guy get started by asking him to lead a silly song at the next pack meeting, and to organize a hike next month.

There is always that 1 person that will question everything. I am a quite person and I am a Scoutmaster. I do not need to be loud and I do not encourage my Scouts to be loud to get attention. Remember that actions speak louder then words. When someone is loud that can be intimidating to some scouts. When my SPL or me want the rooms attention we put up the Scout sign and within 30 second we have a silent room.

Even though a person is quite that does not mean they are shy. I routinely lead meetings and training sessions at work in front of 20 to 30 people.

I am the shy/quiet guy who just got handed the reigns of Cubmaster for our pack. fortunately for me our pack has never been the singing and crazy pack so I don't have anything to live up to.

I did my first pack meeting last week (as CM, I have done them as ACM) and I decided as a gathering activity to have the boys come up with a quick and dirty den yell. then half way thru the awards I called on each den to do theirs as loud as possible and had the audience vote. tie between our 1 wolf, and our huge bear den. everybody got candy for participating.

My favorite technique for monday morning quarterbacks is to ask them what they would do and then if it sounds reasonable ask them to step up and take over the project/activity/leadership role the next go around. Usually, I get the "what did I just do" look and a quick 180 to get out of there (none of them ever came back to me to gripe) or in a few cases, I get new volunteers.