Camping and Cub Scouts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from camping with my older son, who is in a troop. My younger son tagged along, and had a blast. I can't wait for him to go back to his pack and tell all his friends how much fun he had. my pack (of which I am now cubmaster) has never camped for as long as I have been there. I am looking to change that.

It was supposed to rain all weekend (Western Washington, duh) and we had sunny cloudless skies all weekend. even temps were warmish (50's)

Just out of curiosity, when does an event cease being a "den meeting" or "pack meeting" and become a "day camp"?

Before my son started kindergarten, they had a "day camp" for new kindergarteners. He was a little bit apprehensive about it, and we didn't know why. When my wife brought him there, he told her that they forgot his sleeping bag. :)

So, IMHO, if anyone tells you that you can't have your "day camp", then you should just cancel the "day camp" and hold a den or pack meeting at the same time and location.

The normal meaning for "day camp" is a district/council event that involves multiple packs. Otherwise it's just a pack outing.

We've done pack camping when it got down the to low 20s, and had very little issue. It can up into the 60s that same day. The absolute #1 key thing for that type of camping is to warn people ahead of time and make sure they have warm enough sleeping bags. They'll usually bring along plenty of warm clothing on their own.

It's not a good first camping trip for a new Tiger family. As with everything, use your judgment.

These are some great ideas. Our resident camp at the council camp costs 160$/youth-70$/adult for 3days and two nights. The day camp is 175$ for four days.The day camp is useless unless a person can afford to take all four of those days off of work, because the commute would be insane, really impossible to squeeze in . DC is second to LA I think in traffic. So these fun outings you all have put together sound great. Even tho a couple of parents have said they want to camp, I don't think they have any equipment to camp. We have one family with a park ranger dad, and I think they are the only ones who have any idea about camping. I haven't camped for 40 years!I don't think our Pack is really into camping because when I had reservations about moving on as Wolf leader , mentioning camping as one reasons, a Webelos leader said we don't really do alot of camping.Our Pack doesn't look too rugged to tell you the truth. Our Tigers are really active, wiry, and busting out with energy. I hope to continually keep physical fitness and outdoor activity as a big part of our program.We had a great hike at Great Falls Natl. Park on saturday. We had to keep them from beating each other with sticks, but all in all it went great.They actually got worn out.It's great to read what you all have been doing.

Cub Camping::: **BALOO trained adults

**Check Couincil and District calenders for ""Official"" camping opportunities:: CSDC, Son and One. (also call Parent Son Camp, Cub and Pard), Twilight Camp, Cub Resident Camp, Led Hikes, Camporees (which often Cubs are invited to day visit with their parent/Den/Pack Leader), Cub Olympics, etc. etc.

** Looking for >new< ground to >break